What Hair Gel Do You Use?

L.Brown1114

I was obsessed with IC Fantasia gel but now for some reason it doesn't give me any hold.

Before you answer keep in mind Eco styler gel doesn't even begin to hold my hair. And my hair isn't even that coarse and it's 3c/4a. And because every natural is obsessed with Eco styler it's hard to research other ones that may work. HELP!

MileHighDiva

A+ Hair Care Queen
I was obsessed with IC Fantasia gel but now for some reason it doesn't give me any hold.

Before you answer keep in mind Eco styler gel doesn't even begin to hold my hair. And my hair isn't even that coarse and it's 3c/4a. And because every natural is obsessed with Eco styler it's hard to research other ones that may work. HELP!
You should inbox @chebaby and @havilland both have Ph.D's in "Gel-ology." However, they don't always log on to the forum. In addition, both ladies are a 3C. You maybe able to search key word "gel" and the username @havilland.

HTH

GGsKin

The only gel I use regularly (gives consistently great results) is Kinky Curly Curling Custard (no glycerin- love this) and I use it diluted as it works better for me this way (great hold, no flakes). I've also tried As I Am Curling Jelly with good but predictable results (due to glycerin).

I keep hearing about the Xtreme Wetline on here, but I'm not quick to mess with a good thing.

Last edited:

L.Brown1114

Somebody just PMed me that there are different types and holds of Eco styler gel and I should just try different kinds. I was thinking of doing that because Eco styler is cheap and you can buy in large quantities

Coilystep

@imperial_acquisitions
@L.Brown1114 I don't like ecostyler either. I love Camille Rose curl maker. My hair is primarily 4a. As I am curling jelly, goddess curls botanical gel, and kinky curly work well for me.

JulietWhiskey

Darkside of the moon
Kinky-Curly, Camille Rose and the curl gel from Sheamoisture have all worked wonders on my 4a hair. For me, the only drawback to using gel is that gels tend to give me the ramen-noodle, jheri curl effect which is not the business. Maybe if my hair was thicker but as it is, this is not a good look.

Therefore, I use conditioner for my twist-outs and my hair curls easily, as if I used a gel---but condish gives my curls a thicker, clumpier appearance. Because of this, I no longer use gels.

L.Brown1114

This is the look I'm going for. Decided to BC again. My colored hair doesn't hold a curl and it needs constant TLC. Not worth it

Last edited:

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life

It depends on the style. I like to use As I Am - Styler Gel on wet hair to get it to lay smooth. But I do have 2 questions: when is the last time you clarified? And would you consider trying a strong hold styling cream to create your looks?

L.Brown1114

It depends on the style. I like to use As I Am - Styler Gel on wet hair to get it to lay smooth. But I do have 2 questions: when is the last time you clarified? And would you consider trying a strong hold styling cream to create your looks?

I haven't clarified for a couple of months. I'm actually afraid to because I'm bleached right now. I would consider it. What would you have in mind?

BlackRinse

I really like that for my edges but I felt it would be too harsh for the length of my hair. I may try that first since I wouldn't have buy anything

I think if you put something like water and oil/grease under it. It's fine. I get mixed results sometimes if my hair is dry.

B_Phlyy

Pineapple Eating Unicorn
I like Africa Best Kids Organics gel. Gives good hold and no crunch.

All Eco-styler gels are super hard on my hair. I'm a fine 4c.

LdyKamz

Which eco stylers have you tried? My hair gets hard as a rock with the clear kind and I'm in the 4's. The argan oil (yellow) doesn't hold my hair at all and the olive oil (green) is just right. And I actually used to wear my hair like the video you posted when I first big chopped. Used to use a mix of the clear and yellow before I discovered the olive oil and my hair always looked so smooth and soft.

SmilingElephant

Does it give your hair a "crunch" feeling after it dries?

For me, not as much as EcoStyler can and I used to STAN for EcoStyler! I noticed after a while with EcoStyler my curls would be so crunchy at the ends I wouldn't be able to even refresh them! :nono: it would almost be pointless to use a leave in! Idk if they reformulated it again but idk...it just seemed too...much for my hair. :(

Wetline Xtreme gives great hold just make sure you moisturize very well first and then apply it.

I always apply my gel while in the shower for the best results.

Anaisin

Which eco stylers have you tried? My hair gets hard as a rock with the clear kind and I'm in the 4's. The argan oil (yellow) doesn't hold my hair at all and the olive oil (green) is just right. And I actually used to wear my hair like the video you posted when I first big chopped. Used to use a mix of the clear and yellow before I discovered the olive oil and my hair always looked so smooth and soft.

Wow my hair reacts exactly the same way. After the clear & the atgan I was done with eco and started trying other gels. Only to find out the olive one was perfect.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I use Wetline Xtreme gel which is from Mexico. I started using this around 2002 when I lived in Mexico City. The young men there used to have 'mohawk' like hair styles that seemed to withstand anything. So, I asked one of my Mexican family members what he used. I've not been able to find it outside of Mexico and California.

I wet my hair, put on some S-Curl then put on the gel. Sometimes I rinse my hair before bed to soften the gel so my hair has some flexibility at night, to reduce breakage.

L.Brown1114

I use Wetline Xtreme gel which is from Mexico. I started using this around 2002 when I lived in Mexico City. The young men there used to have 'mohawk' like hair styles that seemed to withstand anything. So, I asked one of my Mexican family members what he used. I've not been able to find it outside of Mexico and California.

I wet my hair, put on some S-Curl then put on the gel. Sometimes I rinse my hair before bed to soften the gel so my hair has some flexibility at night, to reduce breakage.

Why gel couldn't you find anywhere outside of Mexico and California because I'm moving to San Diego in August

L.Brown1114

Ironically it was the green one. Only one I've tried though