How do u take care of your hair w/ a weave?

Babs77

Good evening ladies,

I just got a sewn-in weave and I was wondering can I still moisturize my relaxed hair w/ s curl and how do I wash it? I'm thinking about keeping my hair in weaves and braids to help with healthy growth.

Thanks

Selene

I wouldn't but the s-curl in the portion of your hair that is out, your hair will end up not matching your weave....what I typically used was a light oil, like African Pride or Carrot Oil. The best way to wash your weave is in the shower, so you can really get between the tracks. Just use a good shampooo and conditioner. Make sure you rinse the conditioner out well. You really can't wash your weave more than once a week or you will loosen up the tracks. And PLEASE make sure you comb through the weave with a big tooth comb before washing, this helps you avoid horrendous tangles.

When you finish washing your hair, make sure you sit under the dryer with a little setting lotion (Not a lot). You have to have your hair completely dry, because your real hair can mildew underneath the weave. Personally, I never really used setting lotion. I used a dime or quarter size of Paul Mitchell Foaming Pomade on my hair. I'd comb through and sit under the dryer. If you use too much setting lotion, or if its too thick, your weave will tangle.

Make sure you put your weave in either a ponytail or wrap it using hair pins at night, so you can keep it looking fresh. My scalp was always dry with the weave, so I made sure I oiled between the tracks.

Babs77

Thanks for the advice. I wanted the weave so I could give my hair a rest with the harsh winter ahead. Hopefully I'll get some growth. I washed, deep conditined and trimmed my hair before i got the weave, i just needed to know how to take care of it. thanks again.