How did you recover from Heat Damage?

jturner7156

I am going through the effects of too much heat :perplexed. I am relaxed by the way. I have noticed a lot of breakage and I know it is from too much heat. What should I do to recover from this...or how did you recover? Any help would be appreciated :yep:!

theprototype

When I bought my first flat iron a few years ago, i was ADDICTED to it (I was a non-paying member of LHCF but rarely visited). It seemed like it was God sent. Before that, I never wore my hair down; always up in a messy bun. No one at work had ever seen me with my hair down.

All I kept hearing was how a ceramic flat iron was GOOD for your hair. I was naive, and didn't question how applying over 300 degrees of heat to my hair could possibly be good for it. I never wore braidouts or buns anymore, and was "bumping" my ends several times a week.

Needless to say my ends got extremely damaged.

Anyway, my New Year's Resolution this year was to lay off the heat a little, and baby my hair back. I still love wearing my hair straight sometimes, so I've cut down to using the flat iron maybe twice a month. It's probably still too much, but I haven't been able to cut it out cold turkey!

I've also begun making sure my hair is moisturized, and sealed (especially the ends) with either coconut or castor oil. I've been doing protein treatments every couple of weeks (I'm relaxed, btw).

And if you have a lot of split ends from the heat, getting a trim is probably in order.

Can't wait to see what advice you get here from the ladies. I'm a newbie, and definitely no guru yet! ;)

jturner7156

Ok, thanks for the advice. I do have some coconut oil at home, so I will try using that. I plan to cut out direct heat for a few months. What moisturizer are you using for your hair.

LaidBak

I was bumping my ends twice a day with a metal flat iron or curling iron. :nono: I never got past SL. I always ended up having to trim to chin length because of split, raggedy ends. On a daily basis I had to sweep the bathroom floor because there was so much hair on it from breakage.
I discovered cross wrapping and now I use direct heat only maybe once a week. Now I DC my hair every time I wet it. I use good oils to DC and for daily maintenance (EVOO, Coconut, Emu, Almond, etc). I use protein judiciously, but mostly I have upped my moisture.

Luscious Locks

I did the same thing to my beautiful APL hair. I've been shoulder length for two years subsequently.

First and foremost: You must divorce your flatiron. I don't care how much you paid for it or how great you look with straight flowing locks. If you want straight hair, get a rollerset.

Your hair needs moisture immediately and all day long. Idk how frequently you wash your hair, but you should be deep conditioning for at least 20 minutes every single time wash or cowash your hair. Its the only way to put nutrients back in the hair.

Breakage will not stop overnight. It should get better after two weeks of daily moisturizing and deep conditioning. Use a water based moisturizer. I don't seal, but you may want to if the damage is that bad. Seal with a butter, not an oil. It's thicker and more emollient.

Buns will be your best friend. Don't tie them too tight or you'll have more breakage. And hide those ends so moisture can stay in them for longer amounts of time.

I'm so sorry that you have to go through this, but I feel like the allure of the flatiron is so strong! You spend on this money on "good technology" just to have it jack your locks up. I wish I had my $120 now.

Tybi

I too have a love/hate affair with my Chi, but I will never give it up completely, and maybe you wont have to either.

All the advice given already I cosign with. Lots of DCs, and make sure you do protein treatments to help with your hairs strength. A lot of ladies on here including myself really like Joico's K pak reconstructor. This is one of the best protein treatments I have ever used.

Also, try a heat protectant before you iron. I just found and fell in love with Chi's iron gaurd spray. I spray it on eah section before I blow dry. My hair is so so soft and feels so much thicker after ironing now, and I experience no breakage either.

Keep babying your hair back to health, which you should have no problem doing if you stick around here.

LaidBak

I forgot about sealing. I seal religiously--daily, sometimes twice a day. It may sound tedious but I do what I have to do because I know I fried my ends in the past. The ends I have now get my full attention and care. And honestly, it only takes 5 minutes to slap on some moisturizer and then some oil.

Luscious Locks

I also CoSign on the Joico Deep Penetrating Reconstructor. It has never failed to stop breakage. It sure won't moisturize though. Make sure you follow up with a moisturizing conditioner to make your hair soft again.

Tigerlily, I may have to try that IronGuard. My CHI is sitting on a shelf looking all dejected at me, and I'm paying it no mind. LoL.

pearcey

I had about an inch cut off, I wanted more cut off, but my stylist wouldn't do it... I got tired of trying to 'save' yucky hair just for length, I would rather baby newly cut hair...

Kindheart

my hair is layered n heat damaged with no visible split ends on the ends but quite damaged on the top layer, my roots up to mid head are wavy and about 5 inches of my ends are bone straight ,i ve started cowashing once or twice a week depending on how my hair feels,poo and DC(alternating moisturizing masks and protein conditioners) once a week and do a hot oil treatment once every 2 weeks.I religiously oil; my ends and bun my hair daily.my hair now feels very moisturized and its growing quite fast .I plan to get a trim in november to slowly get rid of the straight ends and go fully natural.