Currently how long without heat?

BabyCurls

Indy Girl Growing Strong
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
gvsugirl said:
I'm trying to recover from some SERIOUS damage i've done with the flat irons and currently I've gone only 2 weeks.
How long has it been since you last used a heat appliance (other than a hooded dryer)? I need some inspiration to leave it alone!!!! I can do it! I can survive without heat!!

[/ QUOTE ]

It's been over a month since I used a blow dryer and a hot comb. But now, I don't have to worry about using them since I realized that too much heat is not good for my hair. My advice: Deep condition your hair, use a leave-in treatment, i.e. Infusium23, shampoo with Creme Of Nature, and try air drying your hair. Your hair has done enough abuse; taking good care of your hair will correct the damage, and you'll be on your way to healthier, longer hair.

<font color="blue"> Steer yourself from putting heat on your
hair at all costs!
</font>

Lucia

I can go for months without heat but I did style it a month ago w/ flat iron for a diff look.

NubianAngel

Its been one year since I last blowdried my hair. I used a curling iron to straighten a tendril (accent in the front) of my hair back in January of this year. b

gvsugirl

Hey Faith! I dont know how i damaged it, but ever since i got these new flat irons and used them, my hair always come out feeling like straw and the ends look so thin. So I think it's the iron itself. Maybe its too hot and doesnt distribute the heat evenly. Before with the gold n hot, my hair was always smooth, tho a lil dry. But now, i dont even bother with these new flatirons. they gotta go!! plus the plates are gold toned...could that have been it? should i get ceramic ones?

Faith

To be honest, I have no idea if you should get a ceramic one. I've been debating with this myself. There are soo many...Hai, Chi, Jilbere, Andis, Salano, etc. Sheesh
I'm also at a lost. There's a thread hotcomb vs flatiron I think that is discussing ceramic irons, check it out.

S

Stylepink

6 months and counting! I don't even own a blow dryer any more and I have a curling iron, but only for extreme emergencies! Hang in there...you can do it. Since I stopped using heat, my hair has grown 3 and a half inches since December 2002!

I used to be the flat iron queen(like I would use it 3x a day on my bangs
....but not in the back...LOL, at least I had that much sense!!) so I totally feel where you are coming from!

The first 3 months were the roughest, and every day I would hear my flat iron call out to me "Jennifer...you need me....dont deny yourself of straight bangs...come use me!"

I had to wrap it up and hide it away from myself!

Well, now I am 7 months out of co-dependency with my flat iron and I am not going to go back to my old ways of fighting my hair....We made a peace pact!

happylocks

I have been without heat for more then 7 months, I think I will use it though this week, I am not sure, But I want to check out my lenght
, Do you think I SHOULD DO IT?

gvsugirl

Hmm....I dunno what to tell you, happylocks...But I see majority of my length by doing the rollerwrapping thing. This way my hair is straight as if i flat ironed it (except the roots arent totally straight). I love it! What does everyone do that has been without heat for months? Braid outs???

Daughter

UK Blak
gvsugirl said:
What does everyone do that has been without heat for months? Braid outs???

[/ QUOTE ]

I twist my hair while it's wet/damp, and I get a curly afro if I do a twist-out the day before my shampoo

RabiaElaine

I stopped using a blowdryer about 2 years ago. That hasn't been the problem for me. My problem is large barrel curling irons. They give my thin hair body, straightness, and a curl. I don't use them everyday. I usually use them after my roller-set to make sure the hair straight like I want it.
You hair queens have inspired me to stop with the curling iron though. I am going to try just wrapping my hair after a roller-set and pray it gets straight from that. I will still use my hooded-dryer though for my set.
What level of heat should the dryer be on?
My dryer is 1875 watts so it can get pretty hot.
I think I'll give my mother my curling irons and have her hide them.
That will be hard. But I gotta do what I gotta do.

jrw

Not counting the times I use my blow dryer for Aphogee treatments, at least 11 years. I am 23. My mom occasionally blow dried our hair when we were young.

sweetcocoa

sweetcocoa said:
Direct heat (curling iron and blowdryer)...over 2 years. Flat iron about once a month and only on my bangs to release the curl.
I use the soft bonnet hair dryer once every 2 weeks in the winter.

[/ QUOTE ]
correction...I flat ironed my 'entire' head(not just my bangs) last night....

ny2atl

I've been off the heat since February.
It actually has been much easier. (Kind of wash and go hair) I've kept much more hair too!!

tekmommie

YIPEEE, This is my one month no heat anniversary, and it has been a real struggle for me

I will be treating my self to a new blouse....LOL...I know, I know but any excuse will do

Emmi

6 months, not a single blowdryer, curling iron, flat iron, hooded dryer has touched this head since then.

Ebony

between my touch up on jan 3rd and now, i applied heat to my hair just once in early feb. when i used my ceramic straightening iron. june is coming, so it will be time for my retouch and my annual summer weave. i may not get to use heat b4 then.

Daughter

UK Blak
I've gone without heat since late March and I notice less breakage and my hair feels less brittle. My hair seems shinier to me as well, but that could be a result of me taking better care of my hair and myself in general...

I would like to go to a salon to cornrow my hair but I'm scared they'll want to blow dry it to do so

melodee

I've gone for three weeks. I plan to go until my next touch up, and since i'm getting braided that won't be till August or Spetember.

H

HairObsessed

Not once since new years eve and I felt guilty about it then. I guess I use it 2 or 3 times a year.

melodee

[ QUOTE ]

Daughter said:
I would like to go to a salon to cornrow my hair but I'm scared they'll want to blow dry it to do so

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, me too!

ms jadu

Okay, im kind of slow. When you say no heat or direct heat, what exactly do ya'll mean?

Does the hair dryer count?