how can you only comb TWICE A WEEK ??????

neyhla

hi
i was looking for regimens on different fotki and i noticed something almost everyone says not to comb everyday
How can you do that you go to work without combing ???
I know that combing very often can cause breakage but if i don't comb twice a day (I m stretching) my hair will tangle !!!
how do you do girls ???

Napp

Ms. Nobody
when i was transitioning i combed every week or week and a half. but my hair was mostly kept in buns

hottestdiva19

I remember when I used to wear my hair in braids while stretching I used to only comb twice a week. Once while doing the braids and then later on in the week to take them down. I don't know how people who don't wear braids do it. finger combing does not fly for my hair :nono:

Dogmd

I finger comb my hair daily and only use a comb to detangle my hair once a week on wash day. Before I found this board If someone had have told me this I would have thought they were crazy, but now I know better. I put my hair up in a high ponytail at night after oiling it, silk scarf it, bonnet it and then in the am after my shower I let it down, finger comb and go. Works great for me. The less manipulation for my hair the better and my hair suprisingly does not tangle.

During the summer, I condition wash it and bun it everyday.. no combing except on wash days.

envybeauty

I can see it .... I am working a lot of hours lately and I finger comb in the morning into a bun. Haven't used a comb in 5 days.

ladylibra

i could comb my hair every 5 minutes, it would still tangle right back up. my hair is coily, its natural state is coily and every chance it gets, it wants to coil back up.

so it makes no sense to spend all that time combing, if it's just gonna stay tangled anyway. i comb once or twice a week to get all the shed hair out, because the shed hair tangling with the rest of my hair is what causes problems like knotting/matting. :yep:

dinaaike

I started this four (five?) days ago and I have to say. Once you get over that 2-day learning hump, it actually goes pretty smoothly.

You just use your fingers as a comb, so you would go through the strands a few times with whatever styling medium you use. If your hair is very thick, you might want to braid or clip sections to hold them until you can tame the rest. Once you have this talent, it's like riding a bike.

I learned that you need a suitable sleep scarf or bonnet. It absolutely CAN NOT fall off. Then you need a moisturizer or styling pomade with sufficient slip to keep you from getting caught on your own curls. Here's the link of when I asked the same question. HTH!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=214251

cmesweet

It is easier if you wear styles that do not need to be taken down often.

Buns, braids, twists, flat twists and so on. Wear the style for a week or a few days at a time, then take it down and comb through and put it right back up.

I usually only comb when I am washing my hair or braiding/ twisting it. That is once a week or once every 2 weeks.

Aveena

I remember when I used to wear my hair in braids while stretching I used to only comb twice a week. Once while doing the braids and then later on in the week to take them down. I don't know how people who don't wear braids do it. finger combing does not fly for my hair :nono:
your hair color is amazing!!!!!!!!!!!

but in response to op:

On wash day after my hair is dry I apply a little leave in conditioner and comb my hair in a bun and tie it up. During the week I take the ponytail holder out when I get home and tie my hair up again. It stays in place like that.

If its not perfectly smooth in the morning.... I run one hand under water quickly to get it slightly moist then rub my hands together before smoothing over the top and sides to get it to look neat.

If that doesnt work then I use a comb ONLY enough to smooth the top and not raking through to the scalp or even the entire length. HTH

Dogmd

i could comb my hair every 5 minutes, it would still tangle right back up. my hair is coily, its natural state is coily and every chance it gets, it wants to coil back up.

so it makes no sense to spend all that time combing, if it's just gonna stay tangled anyway. i comb once or twice a week to get all the shed hair out, because the shed hair tangling with the rest of my hair is what causes problems like knotting/matting. :yep:

That makes a lot of sense. :thankyou: My daughter's natural head thanks you too.

Rapunzel*

im glad i dont have to worry about combing my hair im n braids right now its helping my transition go smoothly so when i take these out ill trim 3 more inches off let it sit for a week and i might braid it again:drunk:

SvelteVelvet

Right now I'm only combing once a month but I'm doing a big stretch (at 4 mo's now) and I'm wearing two french braids and covering it with a wig. I only take them down to wash/condish/and oil my scalp with BT, I've done this for the whole month of March and I'm considering doing this until about June, then I'll get a relaxer and swang my growth around.

To answer your question, it really depends on what you are doing in between those times you are combing.

NewYorkgyrl

hi
i was looking for regimens on different fotki and i noticed something almost everyone says not to comb everyday
How can you do that you go to work without combing ???
I know that combing very often can cause breakage but if i don't comb twice a day (I m stretching) my hair will tangle !!!
how do you do girls ???

I only comb once a week- on wash days to detangle and that's it. Right now I'm going on two weeks of no combing because I haven't washed my hair in almost two weeks.

As long as my hair stays moisturized I have no problems with tangles and knots. When it comes to natural hair- it SHOULD NEVER BE COMBED DRY. And since I don't wet my hair everyday there is no need for a comb.

I actually think that the concept of having to comb your hair everyday is one thing that people going natural have to get over. We are taught the only way hair can be manageable is to comb it. We are taught how to take care of our hair based on "straight hair" and unfortunately this mentality still remains today.... :ohwell:
That's why it is important to learn to how to take care of our hair in it's natural state. That being said, one does not NEED to comb there hair everyday, education about hair and styling can get the hair to look just as presentable if not better.

It's easier when you wear buns or ponytails. I usually use a natural boar bristle brush and use that once a day after I moisturize and seal. Then on Wednesday and Saturday I pre-poo, co-wash, and DC. I then detangle under running water with a wise toothed comb and then use a fine toothed comb to rollerset. I think the key to not get matting and knotting is to get all the shed hairs out and I think using a fine toothed comb when rollerset helps.

vangrey

i comb once or twice a week to get all the shed hair out, because the shed hair tangling with the rest of my hair is what causes problems like knotting/matting. :yep:

this is what i do as well...
too much combing loosens my pattern
and breaks up the curls
which is a no no :nono:

Qualitee

I comb like ever other day. First I finger comb and then use a wide tooth comb and com it out very gently. I have to comb ever other day becasue it reduce the knots and dreding on wash day:grin:

SeatownSista

I wear my hair out in a wash and go so there is no need to comb my hair everyday. Doing so will break the curls so I only comb once a week when I shampoo/DC. I never comb my hair when it's dry, it's too difficult to detangle.

neyhla

Thanks girls but it is so incredible for me...for example how do you do to make even a bun (a correct bun) without a comb or a brush when you're 20 weeks post relaxer ??
well i'll try this week and i will tell you
thanks

Chanteuse

I typically wear roller sets with soft curls and only comb during my set. At night I pin curl, in the morning take them down, fluff and go. It's low manipulation and looks great!

LadyKaypnyc

You took the words right outta my mouth:yep:

godsflowerrr

When I rollerset or zulu knot set i usually can go for about 5 days without combing.....i just finger comb and fluff it out after adding moisturizer. I never really had any serious problems with tangles

Aggie

I wear wigs, half-wigs or braids especially when I'm stretching my relaxer very long.

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I started this four (five?) days ago and I have to say. Once you get over that 2-day learning hump, it actually goes pretty smoothly.

You just use your fingers as a comb, so you would go through the strands a few times with whatever styling medium you use. If your hair is very thick, you might want to braid or clip sections to hold them until you can tame the rest. Once you have this talent, it's like riding a bike.

I learned that you need a suitable sleep scarf or bonnet. It absolutely CAN NOT fall off. Then you need a moisturizer or styling pomade with sufficient slip to keep you from getting caught on your own curls. Here's the link of when I asked the same question. HTH!

http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=214251
:yep:This is what I do.

Ariana4000

Right now I'm only combing once a month but I'm doing a big stretch (at 4 mo's now) and I'm wearing two french braids and covering it with a wig. I only take them down to wash/condish/and oil my scalp with BT, I've done this for the whole month of March and I'm considering doing this until about June, then I'll get a relaxer and swang my growth around.

To answer your question, it really depends on what you are doing in between those times you are combing.

this is what I've been doing lately. wash/deep condition/oil/pin in a bun for a week or two and start all over. And use a half wig in between.

charmtreese

I finger comb daily, however I only use a comb on wash days (once a week). My hair really hates being combed when dry unless I have a fresh relaxer. Therefore, combing daily is not an option for me since I only wash once a week.

KrimsonKween

I comb my hair maybe once a week. I don't finger comb either. My hair likes to be left alone. I spray water every morning, then moisturize, add oil rub hair to get it from being patted to my head then go. My hair is like ladylibra stated it is so coily that even after I comb it curls right back up. I comb while in the shower, but I have pre-pooed for about 20-30 minutes and I am also massaging my scalp. My hair combs good in the shower but other than that I don't want a headache.

MrsJersey

I only comb in the shower other than that I generally just use my fingers. My regi is pretty simple though so I really don't have the need to comb often. My hair is usually in a braid out and there's no need to comb that so I just let it do what it does.