How are you doing it? How long have you done it?

dinaaike

There seems to be a common thread amongst the mid-back and beyond group: they either don't use combs, or use them weekly at most.

How are you doing this? I can't imagine not combing at all or people would start dropping change in my mug :blush: . Even if I just finger-comb, people will start asking, "are you all right?" and "is everything okay?" :lachen:

So pray tell!! If you don't comb, or only comb once a week, how do you do this without looking unkempt?

Also, at what point or what length did you stop using the hair combs and/or brushes?

TIA

Isis

There seems to be a common thread amongst the mid-back and beyond group: they either don't use combs, or use them weekly at most.

How are you doing this? I can't imagine not combing at all or people would start dropping change in my mug :blush: . Even if I just finger-comb, people will start asking, "are you all right?" and "is everything okay?" :lachen:

So pray tell!! If you don't comb, or only comb once a week, how do you do this without looking unkempt?

Also, at what point or what length did you stop using the hair combs and/or brushes?

TIA
:lol: @ dropping change in your mug!

I haven't owned a brush in years and for no reason. When I discovered LHCF, I learned to stop combing my hair except when wet and to detangle under the shower, while rinsing off the conditioner. It's easy to use your fingers. People won't be asking anything except, how did you grow your hair so long? ;)

Last edited:

SW2011

I don't ever comb my hair unless I'm in the shower and I have conditioner on my hair. I used to comb all the time until I found this site (so about a year ago). Now I keep my hair in a bun or I rollerset. So, when I'm in the shower, I'll comb my hair back into a ponytail. Then I can bun it when I'm out of the shower. If I'm rollersetting, I comb to keep the hair straight and taut, but other than that, I leave my hair alone. It has helped so much.

HTH!

Firstborn2

Stop frontin, you know me!
I know what you are saying OP, the only way I can go without combing my hair is if I'm in braids. I'm natural and there is not way I can finger comb my hair,lol I look like a HOT MESS! Is there some sort of secret to finger combing that I don't know about?:look:

anon123

I'm natural, too, but I generally only comb once a week, too. I don't understand what you are doing to your hair everyday that requires combing it. Are you wearing a picked out afro everyday? Otherwise, after washing and detangling, you can style your hair and the style should last for at least a week. Even a twist out afro or twist out puff, you just smooth the hair out with a little moisturizer and twist chunks back up at night. Twists and braids and cornrows or flat twists should last for at least a week. A bun on my lasts for 3 days and I can take it down, add moisturizer, and put it back up without combing.

lana

I only comb very gently on wash day with a wide tooth comb. On the days where I breakdown and use a comb it's because I can't help it, I'm looking crazy and finger combing just isn't working. I don't comb during the week because I lose hair when I do so. I just use my fingers and retain my hair. Great topic!

bbdgirl

I'm natural, too, but I generally only comb once a week, too. I don't understand what you are doing to your hair everyday that requires combing it. Are you wearing a picked out afro everyday? Otherwise, after washing and detangling, you can style your hair and the style should last for at least a week. Even a twist out afro or twist out puff, you just smooth the hair out with a little moisturizer and twist chunks back up at night. Twists and braids and cornrows or flat twists should last for at least a week. A bun on my lasts for 3 days and I can take it down, add moisturizer, and put it back up without combing.

ITA, when my hair was natural I never combed it. I washed frequently and rinsed my hair daily. I was a big fan of slicking back with gel everyday.
Now that I am relaxed again I brought over a lot of habits from my natural days and retained alot of growth and have reduced breakage and thinning. I wash 2x/week and I honestly can say that I don't comb my hair at all. I detangle using my fingers and Amla oil (Godsend, esp. with alot of NG). I rollerset my hair a few weeks ago and had to comb and brush it to wrap it and I felt very uncomfortable hearing all that hair breaking and seeing all that hair in my comb and brush. I dont comb and dont miss it all. It can be done.

Allandra

I use a comb daily (unless I've bun my hair for a 2 to 3 day do). There's no way I could go without combing like that.

LivingDoll

Although I'm far, far away from hip, tailbone or classic length, I expect to achieve that one day. I need to ask....for those that don't comb...with hair that long, doesn't not combing daily cause the hair to be tangled when you finally comb it? On top of that, a certain amount of hair is shed each day. When you finally comb, do you get handfuls of hair coming out?

anon123

Although I'm far, far away from hip, tailbone or classic length, I expect to achieve that one day. I need to ask....for those that don't comb...with hair that long, doesn't not combing daily cause the hair to be tangled when you finally comb it? On top of that, a certain amount of hair is shed each day. When you finally comb, do you get handfuls of hair coming out?

I am also far away from long hair, but the answer to the shed hair question is yes for me. That should be the same because whether hair is short or long you have the same number of follicles. As to it being more tangled, I find that my hair is equally tangled 5 minutes after I detangle it and 5 days after I detangle it. If you wear your hair out a lot so that it can move around a lot, it will have a chance to tangle up more on itself. If you don't, then it won't. Like when you have braids or cornrows, you're still shedding hair, but it doesn't get tangled up because it can't move around. If I wear my hair out it moves around and tangles up a lot unless it's really stretched and gets no humidity.

I really cannot comb my hair everyday. Doing it with a wide tooth comb under running water will still leave me with a head full of tangles, primarily because of water which causes my hair to shrink up and thus knot on itself. Doing it dry will result in breakage and I'd have to spend at least 45 min to an hour anyway. So I just don't do it everyday.

RZILYNT

When I do not comb my hair:

If my hair is in an updo, I will not have to comb my hair until shampoo day. My hair stays in place from my scarf at night, edges stay smooth from my leavens.

Done this for years, most of my hair journey.

When I do comb my hair:

Only if I am wearing my hair straight, I will finger comb in the morning, but use a wide tooth comb at night for my bedtime routine so it is smooth when I wake up.

I usually only wear my hair out on the weekends or special occasions.

RZ~

JustKiya

When I do not comb my hair:

If my hair is in an updo, I will not have to comb my hair until shampoo day. My hair stays in place from my scarf at night, edges stay smooth from my leavens.

Done this for years, most of my hair journey.

When I do comb my hair:

Only if I am wearing my hair straight, I will finger comb in the morning, but use a wide tooth comb at night for my bedtime routine so it is smooth when I wake up.

I usually only wear my hair out on the weekends or special occasions.

RZ~

*nod* That's exactly my routine right now - I'm hoping it will serve me well.

Not nearly that long either, but the only way I can go without combing my hair that long is if it's 'bound' up somehow or another...

Divine Inspiration

I haven't owned a brush in years and for no reason. When I discovered LHCF, I learned to stop combing my hair except when wet and to detangle under the shower, while rinsing off the conditioner. It's easy to use your fingers. People won't be asking anything except, how did you grow your hair so long? ;)

Ditto. I can't remember the last time a brush touched my head. I use a Jilbere shower comb to detangle on wash day, and any other combing is done with my fingers. It takes some getting used to, but your hair will thank you in a major way. :yep:

If my hair is straight, I MIGHT moisturize first then comb once every blue moon with the Jilbere (no regular/fine tooth combs), but when it's wavy or curly, only finger combing.

@daephae
No, I actually have less shedding by not combing every day. Tangles are there, but that would be the case whether I combed or not. (IME)

Blu217

So I guess it's not really possible to be an "It Girl" or to be "That Girl" when you're truly dedicated to growing long hair...? I have yet to figure out how to be stylish, attractive... and constantly bunned/pulled back, even with hair accessories. I look best with my hair down, but I gained the most length when I wore it pulled back and tucked in not especially flattering protective styles. It's a compromise I struggle with.

MzOptimistic

I untangle in the shower so when I get out the shower, the only thing I have to do is apply my leave in, seal, and baggie my ends. I comb my ends with a wide tooth comb when I'm sealing my ends but I never, never, comb the base of my hair. I have been doing it for 1 1/2 now. I think inot combing is easy for me because the only style I'm wearing is a baggied ponytail :look:

RZILYNT

So I guess it's not really possible to be an "It Girl" or to be "That Girl" when you're truly dedicated to growing long hair...? I have yet to figure out how to be stylish, attractive... and constantly bunned/pulled back, even with hair accessories. I look best with my hair down, but I gained the most length when I wore it pulled back and tucked in not especially flattering protective styles. It's a compromise I struggle with.

Sure you can be "that girl" and look sophisticated too!
Hiding your hair in protective styles can be done in various ways.
I think many fall back on wearing their hair in a bun since it may be simple.
You can always experiment with flattering low manipulative hairstyles. I bet you are beautiful either way! But if you don't feel that it is most flattering, I would spend time experimenting or check out some hair books. Don't give up. You will find your way :yep:
My hair is usually up, but not always in a bun :wink2:

RZ~

MzOptimistic

You know when my hair was barely touching my shoulders and I started wearing my hair in a bun, I use to be a bit concerned about me looking like a school teacher or too stuffy, especially when my SO and I went out to social events. Especially, if a woman walked by our table with her hair done beautifully. I would look over at him to see his reactions. That was 2 years ago and my hair is now the longest it has ever been. I'm BSB and fast approaching MB and I owe it all to my protective style:grin: I'm a ROD chick for MBL hair and as far as I'm concerned I'm still "That Girl":yep: Ya heard!!!!:grin: So, bun baby bun:lachen:

~What goes up, Must come down~ Protective Styling Baby!!!!

Last edited:

Foxglove

A drop of golden sun
How do the non frequent combers sleep? I can sleep with a scarf under a bonnet and wake up with crazy looking hair. It's flat against my head, especially the side I was sleeping on, but it's still crazy looking. I agree if I don't comb everyday I just look a mess.
Also when you moisturize your hair do you just get the outside hairs? What about the hair inside the top layer?

drasgrl

I'm almost bsl and I don't comb my hair a lot. I only comb it to detangle after washing it. The rest of the week I put it up. Today I didn't go anywhere and I wrapped it last night and I haven't taken my wrap down so I'm still sitting here with my scarf on.

I'm relaxed and my hair doesn't go all over the place so I just use my fingers to get it into place so I don't have the need to comb it a lot. When I wear my hair curly with flexi rods there's no need to comb it. I can wear that style for a few days.

RZILYNT

How do the non frequent combers sleep? I can sleep with a scarf under a bonnet and wake up with crazy looking hair. It's flat against my head, especially the side I was sleeping on, but it's still crazy looking. I agree if I don't comb everyday I just look a mess.
Also when you moisturize your hair do you just get the outside hairs? What about the hair inside the top layer?

These are great questions. I think you can be creative

When my hair is in an updo, the curls are pinned up on the top and are left uncovered while the sides of my hair is tied down with my scarf.

I use a lot of leave in's on shampoo day to moisturize, so I only need to oil my ends. I do that nightly and If I am applying something to my scalp I have bottle with a long applicator nozzle that gets the scalp without me having to use a comb.

For those with relaxed hair who wrap their hair at night and wear it down, that hair style will hold for many days after the initial styling.

I am sure many others will chime in with other ideas!

RZ~

Rei

I don't know, i think that a lot of the non combers i see here have longer hair? that they can just pull back into a pony tail or something. I have shorter hair (barely touching shoulder), and I can't wake up in the morning and "fingercomb", lol, especially out of a wrap, I'd end up looking crazy. And since I don't really have enough to make a decent ponytail or a bun, I have to comb. :perplexed especially for those with bangs, how do you tame them without a comb?

onyxcabelo

I finger comb twice a day - am and pm, and only comb on wash day when I detangle. I wear my hair up in a bun and at night i wrap my head in a satin scarf before bed- doing this at night keeps my hair from getting all ratty while I sleep and when i wake up all I have to do is finger comb again and put it up in a neat bun. I think if i were wearing my hair down more often it might be a little tougher to just finger comb, but then again I still think what I do at night really keeps my hair from being a mess the next day.

RZILYNT

I don't know, i think that a lot of the non combers i see here have longer hair? that they can just pull back into a pony tail or something. I have shorter hair (barely touching shoulder), and I can't wake up in the morning and "fingercomb", lol, especially out of a wrap, I'd end up looking crazy. And since I don't really have enough to make a decent ponytail or a bun, I have to comb. :perplexed especially for those with bangs, how do you tame them without a comb?

Good point! The not combing thing is really to eliminate snarling the hair and to prevent breakage if you are prone to knots and tangles. Believe me if you have to comb more often especially to get those bangs bangin' it is OK. :yep:

HHGS
RZ~

Jynkx

i only comb out my hair with my condish in there and the water running on it........lol. be it everyday or weekly or whatever. just never ever dry.

dinaaike

I don't ever comb my hair unless I'm in the shower and I have conditioner on my hair. I used to comb all the time until I found this site (so about a year ago). Now I keep my hair in a bun or I rollerset. So, when I'm in the shower, I'll comb my hair back into a ponytail. Then I can bun it when I'm out of the shower. If I'm rollersetting, I comb to keep the hair straight and taut, but other than that, I leave my hair alone. It has helped so much.

HTH!

Thank you GABeauty! That does help. I have always braided until semi-dry, then moisturized, then re-braided for sleep. I would style in the morning. So I'll have to start the style earlier...hm :scratchch Good to know.

dinaaike

There are times when my hair is model perfect and I throw the brushes in the "Bye" box. Then it does what it's doing now and I go looking for them.

I guess I have to go bonnet hunting because when I get out of bed, to smooth and go would DEFINITELY have people putting quarters in my morning tea :look: . But the low-comb method is a bandwagon I'm willing to jump and stay on. Thanks.

dinaaike

Sleeping on it! :laugh: I make a pony. Wrap it. Sleep. Wake up...and woooooo! :laugh:
I just got back to shoulder after a cut to above-shoulder-length in January. I'm re-learning how to handle hair this length. I think once it's APL, low-mani should be easier, but for now :nono:, I can't see both low-mani AND looking decent co-existing. But believe me, I WANT TO!

dinaaike

I use a comb daily (unless I've bun my hair for a 2 to 3 day do). There's no way I could go without combing like that.

This is going to be a challenge. Like Dreamsicle said, it seems that at this length the trade off is to look a mess. Worse yet, how can I keep it from matting without it taking forever? I'm a "five minutes to freedom" type.

BrooklynSouth

Leave-ins, oiled ends and bunned for a year plus, now wearing different wigs for a year..weekends I pull my hair into two side braids and wear a scarf or hat..cold weather easy. I comb with shower comb when wet but not the roots. Only time I comb the root area then coat with PROFECTIVES anti-breakage is pre-relaxer touch up. Much less breakage but can be painful and frustrating detangling so use lots of TRESSEME DETANGLER 2 days before touchup.

dinaaike

Ditto. I can't remember the last time a brush touched my head. I use a Jilbere shower comb to detangle on wash day, and any other combing is done with my fingers. It takes some getting used to, but your hair will thank you in a major way. :yep:

If my hair is straight, I MIGHT moisturize first then comb once every blue moon with the Jilbere (no regular/fine tooth combs), but when it's wavy or curly, only finger combing.

Thanks Divine. I'm willing to sacrifice. I have been guilty of using a type of detangling brush (with teeth, not bristles) as a kind of therapy. But I am willing to be converted. <hums "we shall overcome" softly> :grin: