Hot Oil Treatments

Lindy

Is it better to do a hot oil treatment on wet or dry hair?? What's the general consensus?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif

Also, what is a pre-shampoo, and what products do you use for it?? /images/graemlins/confused.gif, is it the same as a hot oil treatment?

moni

Hi Lindy,
I think that a hot oil treatment is considered a pre-shampoo treatment. I do my hot oil treatments on dry hair and they seem to work just fine. They make the combouts much easier for me. I don't mix any oils or anything I just buy the hot six or the wonder 8 oils, heat them and put it on my hair. HTH

beana3

there was a big thread about this a while back.. i 4got what the general consensus was, but try doing a search for it...

For me personally, I do mine in a weird way:
i warm up some plain extravirgin olive oil (about 2or 3oz)
and use 1 part warm water
I pour them both into my spray bottle and shake it up real good.. it never completely blends,but it gets close. and i spray the mix on my hair.
The bottle makes the application really easy.

My hair feels damp-wet when i'm done. I cover with 2 or 3 caps and go about my business for an hour or so. rinse lightly and wash and condit as usual.

I add water to mine b/c I FEEL it opens my hair cuticles somewhat and allows to oils to penetrate better. I've tried oil on dry, and didn't really think it was effective.

That's what i do, many other ladies her have mixtures and other oil blends that work well. I just use the olive oil cuz i get lazy, and its cheap /images/graemlins/wink.gif

Lindy

I like that spray bottle idea, Beana... I would think that doing a hot oil treatment on dry hair would be just like putting oil on your hair on a daily basis. I don't see how it would benefit much without your hair at least being damp. I'll do a search, too, and see what comes up. Thanks!!

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
I wet my hair thoroughly with warm water, then apply the warm oil to it. Lately, I've been adding EO's to it as well.

NAY007

I used to put my hot oil on dry hair. A couple of weeks ago I tried it the first time on wet/damp hair and I think I like it way better.
I mix olive oil+vegetable oil+honey. Last time the oil was too hot so I just added my dark&loveley ultra cholesterol until it had the right temperature. That was pretty good too.
Nay.

canuck

i dampen my hair first with warm water, massage the scalp a little bit, then apply the hot oil then a supermarket plastic bag on my head.

never tried it with my hair dry....

Titansgirl

I perform my hot oil treatments on dry and wet hair. I haven't noticed a big different between the two, yet. I put a mixture of olive oil and coconut oil on my head. Then a put my heating cap on for 30 min. My hair turns out nice both ways.. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

JenJen2721

Hi Lindy,
I use hot oil treatments on wet hair. I like to do one shampoo, hot oil & honey under the dryer for 20 min, and then shampoo a 2nd time. I like it this way because it seems like if I just wet it and try to put the oil on it, it gets tangled a bit. When I shampoo w/Creme of Nature first it works much better.
Jen

carmella25

Personally I like to do my hot oil treatments on wet hair. I think that is works better. I also add essential oils to mine.

RedButterfly

They both work well

I have used hot oil treatments on both wet and dry hair. When I use Alberto Vo5 or Tresemme Hot Oil Treatments, the directions require wet hair. When I do a homemade hot oil treatment with either olive oil or jojoba oil, I usually apply it to dry hair. It has always worked well both ways. Hope that helps.

[image]http://www.longhairlovers.com/at/redbutterfly/gallery/956.jpeg[/image]

Julia

Last Thursday when I did my hair, I washed my hair, then deeped conditioned. Then I did a hot oil treatment (Castor Oil/Coconut Oil with Rosemary), rinsed and then finished up with Nexuus Acidifier Conditioner (let it sit on for 3 minutes or so). Air dried with 4 pony tails and rollers....

OMG, my hair NEVER EVER felt so soft and moisturized. It was not overly greasy, which is what I was afraid of. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I tried the hot oil treatment in this order because I was in NEW York a few weeks ago and got me to Sally's (it had been just toooo long since I had been in a Sally's store) and I purchased Loreal's Nature's Therapy Hot Oil Treatment. I noted that the directions state to use the hot oil treatment AFTER you wash your hair and to merely rinse out the hot oil treatment. This got me thinking, /images/graemlins/scratchchin.gif so I tried this technique with my own hot oil treatment and I LOVE the results. In this Canadian climate it is soooo cold and drying on the hair. I have noticed that my hair has remained moisturized and ALOT softer than it usually does. From now on will be doing my hot oil treatments last - after I shampoo and deep condition. /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/smile.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

Lindy

Just saying thanks to everyone for the good ideas... I'm definitely going to try to fit hot oil treatments into my regimen. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Islandgirl

Hi,
I think its better to do hot oil treatments on wet hair. (The directions on most hot oil treatments usually say wet the hair first) Try jojoba oil, it's the best. It keeps my hair soft and moisturized.