Honey for hair

Eritreladiee

Hey guys,

I've just learned that people use honey as a moisturizer for their hair, and that it also lightens your hair gradually over time. I actually want to try it out-- I could use more moisture, and I wouldn't mind some natural highlights.

So does anyone have experience with honey? Please if you could share your experiences, concoctions, types of honey you use, results, etc. Any feedback would be much appreciated, as I just found out about honey for hair like 20 minutes ago :lol:

Louisex3

Not too sure if it naturally lightens hair, maybe someone else could chime in about that?

Umm i've used it in d/cs before, i can never whether something is helping my hair though lol so i can't really say, i may try it in another d/c soon.

lol basically i was no help to you.

Eritreladiee

Not too sure if it naturally lightens hair, maybe someone else could chime in about that?

Umm i've used it in d/cs before, i can never whether something is helping my hair though lol so i can't really say, i may try it in another d/c soon.

lol basically i was no help to you.

lol, do you remember how you mixed yours, and if it ended up too sticky and hard to wash out? Honestly, I don't mind experimenting, but that my main fear.

Embyra

I mix mine with conditioners Honey lightens hair by releasing peroxide, but in much lower levels than hair dyes its super moisturizing never had any dryness from it :grin:

Its easy to rinse out and my hair is super dense and never had a problem with it

Eritreladiee

I mix mine with conditioners Honey lightens hair by releasing peroxide, but in much lower levels than hair dyes its super moisturizing never had any dryness from it :grin:

Its easy to rinse out and my hair is super dense and never had a problem with it

Nice :) Is there a certain ratio of honey to conditioner for your mix?

SkySurfer

Don't worry about honey not coming out of your hair.. it's water soluble so as long as you do a good thorough warm rinse after DC-ing with honey, you'll be fine :)

Blairx0

I have never appiled honey directly to my hair, but I do add it to my DC mixture in the warmer months. I read somewhere that honey is a humetcant, so it attacts mositure from the air and should thus be avoided/reduced when the ai is drier. I am not sure how true this is, but I have since stopped using honey as I await warmer weather. I can tell my hair misses it, but sigh.

ChristmasCarol

I use honey every time I DC. I use a couple tablespoons in the winter. Spring is coming and I'd like more natural highlights, so I'll up the ratio of condish/honey to 1:1. I also add AVJ and EVOO.

I've been using honey for 2 years, year-round, with no adverse effects.

eta: You'll need to let the mix sit for 20-30 minutes to allow the peroxide time to "release". You'll also need to leave the mixture on your hair for 45 minutes or so. If you don't, the lightening will not be noticeable. HTH

Last edited:

Ann0804

I use honey (raw organic honey by y.s. organic farm) twice weekly as a pre poo. I use an ice cream scope sized amount and mix it with a conditioner, brazil nut butter, and an oil mixtures of about 8 oils and aloe vera. I leave this mixture on my hair from about 30 minutes to overnight. It always leaves my hair really soft and moisturized. The honey has lightened my hair tremendously, but I do have naturally light brown hair, but the honey takes it a few shades lighter.

GIJane

I used honey, hair milk and AVJ as a gel for my hair. It would hold my hair for days. I wouldn't suggest to use it in the summer. Bugs. You know what I mean.

isawstars

Great thread! For the ladies who say irs expensive... i bought a huge mason jar of pure honey from an amish farmer at the flea market. It was only 6 bucks. :)

westNDNbeauty

But also know that recently honey has been in the news. Honey in most large chain food stores have been determined to be fake imported honey.

Since this news, I've been using Tropical Traditions raw honey. Smells weird, but its great.

Jas123

The Star of a Story
But also know that recently honey has been in the news. Honey in most large chain food stores have been determined to be fake imported honey.

Since this news, I've been using Tropical Traditions raw honey. Smells weird, but its great.
wow, i buy the raw, organic from whole foods...

Shadiyah

when I was using honey all the time I would just take the honey straight from the bottle and put it on my hair like I was putting oil on it. My hands would be so sticky lol and then I would grab some conditioner and put it on top and my hands would be able to glide through my hair. Once i washed it out my hair would be so soft.

But good to know about the molasses because I have an old jar I need to get rid of.

DivineNapps1728

I used to mix honey into my DC, but never noticed enough of difference to continue it's use. I've never used it as a leave in however; I'd be afraid of attracting bugs & critters.

Anonymous1

sliding under the radar
I use honey but I microwave it because I don't want the lightening effects. I may try molasses out next. I have some at home anyway.

greenandchic

sipp100 - For some reason, I thought you needed the UV rays from the sun to activate it. I used to use honey on my hair years ago (like in the 90s) and it worked. The change was slightly noticeable and more gentle than using something like Sun In which totally fried my hair.

I read that a couple of months ago. :nono: Thankfully I only buy honey from my local co-op where they source it locally in bulk or brands you mentioned like, Tropical Traditions.

ChristmasCarol

@sipp100 - For some reason, I thought you needed the UV rays from the sun to activate it. I used to use honey on my hair years ago (like in the 90s) and it worked. The change was slightly noticeable and more gentle than using something like Sun In which totally fried my hair.

I read that a couple of months ago. :nono: Thankfully I only buy honey from my local co-op where they source it locally in bulk or brands you mentioned like, Tropical Traditions.

greenandchic

No, you don't have to sit in the sun with it. However, if you are going to be outdoors and you want to speed up the action, you can squeeze fresh lemons into the mix. I did this years ago, and after a whole day at the beach or in a park, my natural highlights were much lighter. Haven't done that in years though. I've been fighting my sandy hair each winter - trying to figure out how to darken it naturally. This year, however, I'm gonna roll with with what God gave me :yep:

WARNING: If you have dry hair, don't use much lemon juice - it will turn your hair to straw. If your hair is normal/oily, you can use more. Just be sure to DC before and after a natural bleach job.