Using Honey

wyldcurlz

does anyone use honey in their hair? i've been reading about and hearing about lots of people (especially girls with 3 & 4 a-b & c hair) doing honey rinses, adding honey to their conditioner, using it with leave-ins and adding it to or using honey as a styling product/aid and doing honey rinses. honey supposedly encourages good curl formation and lots of SHINE and extra moisture.

what are your experiences with honey? please share. i want to hear how others are using it.

i've been experiementing with wearing my hair curly and after hearing about honey i generously added (just a little) some to my honeysuckle rose condish and barely rinsed it out. then i styled as usual (gel on wet hair.) the results were the best curl formation i've ever had, very soft and gentle. my hair always looks dull to me, so i can't say that my hair was shinier, but it was definitely soft! pliable. it was my first honey experience, but i liked it.

Miss*Tress

I used to just mix carrier oils in my conditioner and recently started added honey. While my hair feels better when the conditioner is on it, there's no real difference after drying my hair. It seems the oil was enough for me, but the honey doesn't hurt and I have a jar of the stuff to finish. ;)

Cheleigh

I use molasses instead of honey, but for the same purpose. Use in my conditioner as a deep treatment. Use in my moisture spritz. Honey/molasses is a humectant like glycerin and it gives my hair additional sheen (my hair doesn't really do shiny).

Synthia

My hair doesn't like honey ... or perhaps I don't know how to do it right.

Once I squeezed honey into a conditioner mix and it glued my hair together. So I thought, that was too much.

The next time, I put on conditioner then smoothed a wee bit of honey on top. Still too sticky. Done with honey. :(

JewelleNY

I love honey! If I am in a rush and forget to add it to my routine I can definitely see and feel the difference. Honey works great as a pre poo when I mix it with oils and warm everything and do the Macherieamore (sp:confused: ) towel technique;)

I also add honey in my cholesterol conditonal to deep condition. So easy to detangle and my hair looks like a totally different texture. I love it:)

Vshanell

FKA Pokahontas
I add honey to my conditioners to pre-poo with or I'll just mix it w/ olive oil and pre-poo with that. My favorite way to use it is honey rinses. They are awsome, especially for natural styles because it gives you good curl formation and shine. My curls behave so well when I do this and I don't even need gel. I just stir in a spoonful of honey into a cup of warm water, pour it through my hair as the last step and squeeze out the excess water, leave in don't rinse out. It's very easy and it works.

macherieamour

JewelleNY said:
I love honey! If I am in a rush and forget to add it to my routine I can definitely see and feel the difference. Honey works great as a pre poo when I mix it with oils and warm everything and do the Macherieamore (sp:confused: ) towel technique;)

I also add honey in my cholesterol conditonal to deep condition. So easy to detangle and my hair looks like a totally different texture. I love it:)

HMMMM.... thats a REALLY good idea!!! I might add this to my pre-poo too:) Thanks Jewell:)

MzTami

Hellerrrr
Synthia said:

Once I squeezed honey into a conditioner mix and it glued my hair together. So I thought, that was too much.

The next time, I put on conditioner then smoothed a wee bit of honey on top. Still too sticky. Done with honey. :(
I thought it was me only. When I read Supergirl's experience with honey and conditioner she mixed together, I thought to myself, I need to try this. I went out and bought honey and mixed it with my Suave conditioner and OMG..my hair was hard! I never tried it again!

carameldiva

I love honey as well. I add it to my conditioners, deep conditioners and my spritz. I have also used it as a pre-poo mixed with olive oil. I love it. It makes my natural hair soft and shiney and very manageable.

rosalindb

I love honey added to my pre-poo treatment. I warm the honey first & then add it to already warmed Virgin Coconut Oil. Then I add Aubrey Organics GBP

CLASSYEBONYGIRL

Cheleigh said:
I use molasses instead of honey, but for the same purpose. Use in my conditioner as a deep treatment. Use in my moisture spritz. Honey/molasses is a humectant like glycerin and it gives my hair additional sheen (my hair doesn't really do shiny).

ITA!! I love molasses in my conditioners, deep conditioners and a little in some of my styling products. It makes my hair incredibly soft and shiny. I think it's better than using honey. :yep:

Melaninme

I use a honey pre-treatment once a month and I love it! I've read about the wonders of molasses as well. I feel an experiment coming on! :)

JewelleNY

MzTami said:
I thought it was me only. When I read Supergirl's experience with honey and conditioner she mixed together, I thought to myself, I need to try this. I went out and bought honey and mixed it with my Suave conditioner and OMG..my hair was hard! I never tried it again!
Hey MzTami, you have to be carful about what you put your honey in as it doesn't work well with everything. Try a little in a deep conditioer like Lustrasilk's cholesterol conditioner. I don't think it works well in just a regular conditioner like Suave. Also, it works well with oils mixed in too.:)

MzTami

Hellerrrr
JewelleNY said:
Hey MzTami, you have to be carful about what you put your honey in as it doesn't work well with everything. Try a little in a deep conditioer like Lustrasilk's cholesterol conditioner. I don't think it works well in just a regular conditioner like Suave. Also, it works well with oils mixed in too.:)
Thanks Jewelle...I'll try it with my Lustrasilk's Cholesterol/EVOO.

wyldcurlz

Pokahontas said:
I add honey to my conditioners to pre-poo with or I'll just mix it w/ olive oil and pre-poo with that. My favorite way to use it is honey rinses. They are awsome, especially for natural styles because it gives you good curl formation and shine. My curls behave so well when I do this and I don't even need gel. I just stir in a spoonful of honey into a cup of warm water, pour it through my hair as the last step and squeeze out the excess water, leave in don't rinse out. It's very easy and it works.

i like your honey rinse idea and i think i'm going to try that. i especially like the idea that i can get good curl formation without having to use gel!! thanks! i can't wait to try this. after you do the honey rinse, do you style as usual? for example, i normally smooth on conditioner and then smooth on gel. so if i do the honey rinse, i'd just smooth on conditioner and let it air dry, right?

wyldcurlz

macherieamour said:
HMMMM.... thats a REALLY good idea!!! I might add this to my pre-poo too:) Thanks Jewell:)

okay, what's macherieamour's towel technique? please share. i'm intrigued.

goldensensation

I add honey (and jojoba oil) to my cholesterol conditioners to make them "high class" products. lol.

It makes my hair soft, shiney and easy to detangle. I just condition washed with a mix like this using Lekair cholesterol. :)

macherieamour

wyldcurlz said:
okay, what's macherieamour's towel technique? please share. i'm intrigued.

Hey gurl!

Its basically just slathering a protein conditioner ( or moisture) on dry unwashed hair. While ur doing that, throw a large hand towel under hot water. Wring it out and wrap it around ur head. Place a shower cap or plastic bag on top. Its kinda like an at-home steam treatment. Then, you just shampoo out and condition as per usual.

I like it because:

1. You can reap the benefits of a protein without having the "hard" feeling
  2. I read that conditioner absorbs better on dry hair
  3. If you use a conditioning shampoo, you can skip the deep con under the dryer (beats jumping in and out of the shower)
  4. You can use up the conditioner that dont seem to work on ur hair
  5. You can add tons of oils, mixtures, etc

I dunno, people have gotten really good results this way. It cut my wash time in half and my hair feels strong and soft yet not hard and coated. I did a thread about it called "this changes the whole game". I dont wash any other way now:)

Sorry to hijack the thread!!

dlewis

I love my honey. Last wash I used honey, evoo, eo, warmed it, and let it set on my hair for about 2 hours. My hair turned out great. It was soft, spingy, and had lots of body. The photo below was taken after this treatment.:)

I totally agree!
I mix honey and olive oil as a pre-poo.
It really makes my hair soft and pre-relaxer brought out my natural curls!

DragonPearl

MzTami said:
Maybe you needed to warm up the honey before mixing it with Suave. I never use room temperature or cold honey.

jwhitley6

Synthia said:

Me no likey neither....tangled mess.:ohwell:

sunshyne_krissy

Synthia said:

Synthia:
Are you using the honey as a leave in or a rinse out? You might want to try rinsing it out for it to work better for you if you haven't tried that already..