HMC--Trying to Understand Why this Conditioner Helped My Hair Grow Rapidly?

vtoodler

Many, many years ago, I used to use a conditioner by Soft n' Beautiful called HMC. Back in those days, you could purchase the conditioner by itself. (But now it only comes in packet as part of a relaxer kit):

Older bottle:

Newer bottle:

Anyway, below are the product ingredients. I'm guessing that the first must be the older ingredients (likely more relevant) while the second is the newer ingredients:

INGREDIENTS: Water (aqua), mineral oil, (parrafinum liquidum), acetamide mea, panthenol, hydrolyzed keratin, hydrolyzed glycosaminoglycans, sodium cocoyl collagen amino acids, hydroxyethylcellulose, retinyl palmitate, tocopherol, polyquaternium-22, oleth-3 phosphate, sorbitanstearate, methychloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone, fragrance (parfum), red 33 (cl 17200), yellow 6 (cl 15985)

I got the old list ingredient list from another poster in this thread: http://www.longhaircareforum.com/showthread.php?t=54218

INGREDIENTS: Water, Mineral Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Sorbitan Stearate, Acetamide Mea, Hydrolyzed Keratin, Polyquaternium 22, Oleth-3 Phosphate, Panthenol, Fragrance, Propylene Glycol, Sodium Cocoyl Collagen Amino Acids, Cocoyl Sarcosine, Simmondsia Chinesis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Tocopheryl Acetate, Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans, Sorbitol, Triticum Vulgare (Wheat Germ Oil, Wheat Germ Acid), Hexyl Cinnamal, Linoleic Acid, Linolenic Acid, Linalool, Benzyl Benzoate, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Algae Extract, Hydrolyzed Vegetable Protein, Pg-Propyl Silanetriol.

I got the new ingredients list from the following link: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Just-for-...-Conditioning-Creme-Relaxer-Kit-6-pc/10313873

From looking at the ingredient list (the older one is probably the better one to look at), why do you suppose that it could have helped my hair grow? I notice that hydrolyzed keratin (protein) is listed high on the list. Could that have played a role? Btw, is hydrolyzed keratin a strong or weak protein? In short, are the proteins in this product strong enough to strengthen hair?

What about the conditioners? One thing that I remember about this product is that it left my hair feeling very moisturized yet still strong. Why do you suppose that it did that?

This conditioner was created to be used after a relaxer--although, I used to use it every week after washing my hair. My hair thrived from it. But my mother and sister's hair starting breaking off. They had to discontinue use.

I wish that I could still buy this product in its full-sized container. Now, I can only get it as part of a relaxer kit, and while still a solid product, the ingredient list has changed considerably.

I had amazing hair while using it. And I've always wondered exactly why that was so......
Any guesses???

Last edited:

MACGlossChick

I think it's the Hydrolyzed Glycosaminoglycans that contribute to the increased growth. If memory serves me right, it's the same ingredient that was in Surge +14.

Your mother and sister might be protein sensitive.