Hip Length (HL) 2012!!!!

FoxxyLocs

I am so frustrated with this hair! Why does it take two days to style?? If I'm doing a protective style it's fine, but if I want to look nice it's such an ordeal! For me to do things the correct way and not rip through my hair takes forever. I have to blow dry, flat iron, or rollerset in really small sections or else it doesn't turn out right and I've wasted my time. Small sections take a long time though, so I never have time to finish.

When I really want my hair to look good, I pretty much can't be seen in public for 2 days, and I do not have that kind of time. It's so frustrating. I don't understand why everything takes such a long time for me. I know I don't want to relax or texlax, but I don't know what to do. I can't be stuck wearing a bun forever. Yesterday I spent hours on my hair and have nothing to show for it because I didn't finish. I've had really bad experiences with stylists because of the length and thickness of my hair, but maybe I should keep trying to find someone. IDK, just needed to vent.

Sent from my HTC Evo

Carrie A

@FoxxyLocs Sounds like it would be worth it to find a stylist when you just don't want to deal.

I noticed something interesting. I've been experimenting with layering products. This week I braided my hair nightly with a light cream moisterizer and grapeseed oil, which I believe is a ceramide. When took down my bun tonight my hair was almost straight. It looked texlaxed. I'm on day 4 of this. I thought to myself that I could get away with flat ironing it- it's pretty straight and moisturized not weighed down heavy. My hair's not super clean but it's not disgusting either. IDK how many days I could go. I'm going to try this after the New Year.

It takes my forever to straighten because I never worked with flat irons or blow dryers until recently. Since I straighten twice a year if that so I get very little practice. I'm good at rollersetting but that takes a long time because of length.

Janet'

I am so frustrated with this hair! Why does it take two days to style?? If I'm doing a protective style it's fine, but if I want to look nice it's such an ordeal! For me to do things the correct way and not rip through my hair takes forever. I have to blow dry, flat iron, or rollerset in really small sections or else it doesn't turn out right and I've wasted my time. Small sections take a long time though, so I never have time to finish.

When I really want my hair to look good, I pretty much can't be seen in public for 2 days, and I do not have that kind of time. It's so frustrating. I don't understand why everything takes such a long time for me. I know I don't want to relax or texlax, but I don't know what to do. I can't be stuck wearing a bun forever. Yesterday I spent hours on my hair and have nothing to show for it because I didn't finish. I've had really bad experiences with stylists because of the length and thickness of my hair, but maybe I should keep trying to find someone. IDK, just needed to vent.

Sent from my HTC Evo

:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Go ahead and vent, hon! I understand competely!!! If you lived in Atlanta, I could suggest a couple of different natural hair stylists who are super gentle!

FoxxyLocs

Thanks ladies. I made an appt for a consultation on monday, so we'll see. I would love to be able to go get my hair done once a month. If my consultation goes well I'll make an appt for a rollerset.

Setting my wet hair on my own is pretty much out of the question. Even if I can set it quickly, I either have to sit under the dryer for 3+ hours, or let it air dry, which takes 24 hrs at least. I almost never have a 24 hr span where I don't have to leave the house, nor do I have a whole day to spend washing, setting, and sitting under the dryer.

Sent from my HTC Evo

NJoy

Here I grow again!
:bighug: :bighug: :bighug:

Go ahead and vent, hon! I understand competely!!! If you lived in Atlanta, I could suggest a couple of different natural hair stylists who are super gentle!

Janet'

Um...I live in Atlanta...and could use those suggestions....especially of ones who are super gentle. My style skills are, um...non existent. :ohwell:

Sent from my HTC Evo

All I can say is I feel your pain. :bighug: I was just whining when trying to get my hair to look decent for my anniversary. Yeah. After all the trouble, I ended up wearing my hair in a bun. :ohwell:

Last edited:

LaVgirl

cch24 Love the hairstyle! So pretty!

FoxxyLocs Thanks for the suggestion on the tea tree oil. I will definitely try it. Probably just a couple of drops in jojoba oil or something. I'm still experimenting as far as oils and such since this problem only happened this fall. Like last wash I washed with a new shampoo, Shea Moisture African Black Shampoo, and I didn't use any oil because I wanted to see how that would work. And then yesterday, I washed again with it and I used my KBB oil on the front of my scalp. So I guess I'll see how well that works.

anon123

Sent from my HTC Evo

I totally get you. This is me, too. I just wear a lot of buns :ohwell: I find if I want to wear my hair out, though, blow drying and putting in big twists is about the easiest thing I can do. That takes about 1 1/2 hours (styling alone) and can be maintained by retwisting at night (15 minutes).

soonergirl

Hey ladies count me in..yeah aint even waist yet, still!! I have lofty hopes!!

Current length: MBL
Regimen: Bun, and then bunning and then another bun
Using sulfer concoction,leave ins and oils - also heavy on msm and hair vitamins

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

I totally get you. This is me, too. I just wear a lot of buns :ohwell: I find if I want to wear my hair out, though, blow drying and putting in big twists is about the easiest thing I can do. That takes about 1 1/2 hours (styling alone) and can be maintained by retwisting at night (15 minutes).

What method do you use to blow dry? Styling blow dried hair works well for me too, but blow drying takes about two hours. If I wash, DC, blow dry, and style that's about 4+ hours, plus it has to set overnight or else I have to take the time to make it neat enough to wear out.

Sent from my HTC Evo

pre_medicalrulz

It Always Been About Hair!
UHMMM was I sober when I joined this challenge?? :perplexed

HL is 8 inches from where I currently stand in my starting pic. It's not happening in 2012 but I'd like to come close or close to WHIP trying. :grin:

Vitals

Current Length: the pic is my current length as of today
Regimen: ps'ing in wigs 100%. moisture and protein upkeep
Hip Length Date: Not in 2012 :lachen:

Attachments

• 120311164258.jpg
    120311164258.jpg
    426.9 KB · Views: 73

constance

Joining!

Vitals

Current Length: 1-2 inches past my natural waist
Regimen: shampoo & dc every 2 wks
Plans: I promised DH I'd shed my wig once I reached WL so I've been experimenting with protective styles.
Hip Length Date: 10/12

(hand is on my hip in pic)

~~HoneyComb~~

I just might be able to get to HL December 2012.

Going to do this through twist-outs and limiting flat-ironing to no more than 4x a year, if that.

Ms_CoCo37

I have like zero chance of hitting hip length, but I thought it would be fun to participate anyway. My goals are quite ambitious.:yep:

Janet'

UHMMM was I sober when I joined this challenge?? :perplexed

HL is 8 inches from where I currently stand in my starting pic. It's not happening in 2012 but I'd like to come close or close to WHIP trying. :grin:

Vitals

Current Length: the pic is my current length as of today
Regimen: ps'ing in wigs 100%. moisture and protein upkeep
Hip Length Date: Not in 2012 :lachen:

pre_medicalrulz Don't you worry--I'll add you to the sub-list of MBL'ers who are going hard for the Gold!!!! You're in great company :yep: :yep:

Janet'

Um...I live in Atlanta...and could use those suggestions....especially of ones who are super gentle. My style skills are, um...non existent. :ohwell:

NJoy Hahahahahahaha--www.tamikabell.com also known as dontspeakdefeat--she's out in Douglasville--she's thebomb.com Trained under Reneice--AWESOME!!!!! :bouncy: :bouncy: :bouncy:

Janet'

Ladies, please make sure to "THANK" the initial post so that I can officially add your names to the list!

JJamiah

I can't wait for this challenge to officially start :woohoo:

MY GOODNESS. I love seeing that challenges some thought were unreachable has so many challengers :) a few years ago the numbers were scant and now look :woohoo:

Go LHCF HIP LENGTH CHALLENGERS OF 2012 :woohoo:

testimony777

I would like to join. I am currently at full MBL and was about 5 inches shy of HL as of early November.

Current Length: full MBL
Regimen: wash once a week (co wash 3X a month shampoo once a month). Deep condition once a week. Trim every three months or as needed. My regular style is a wash-n-go following the tightly curly method.
Plans: I plan to continue doing what I am doing (if it ain't broke don't fix it). I may straighten my hair in the month that I reach HL.
Hip Length Date: October 2012

Lucia

Thanks ladies. I made an appt for a consultation on monday, so we'll see. I would love to be able to go get my hair done once a month. If my consultation goes well I'll make an appt for a rollerset.

Setting my wet hair on my own is pretty much out of the question. Even if I can set it quickly, I either have to sit under the dryer for 3+ hours, or let it air dry, which takes 24 hrs at least. I almost never have a 24 hr span where I don't have to leave the house, nor do I have a whole day to spend washing, setting, and sitting under the dryer.

Sent from my HTC Evo

FoxxyLocs
Maybe you should just give up on roller setting I have never bee able to rollerset my hair it need came out right. Maybe you can wash condition air dry in braids flat iron next day thats the 2 day version or when I'm in a hurry I cw blowfrying low heat flat iron. I can get that done in about 1:15
Roller setting is not for everyone I'm one of them especially no for people with thick hair and I'd hate to see you go to a stylist who will set you back and really not be able to do any better than you wih roller setting
Stylists couldnt rollerset my hair either it was Bd and FI

Last edited:

FoxxyLocs

@FoxxyLocs
Maybe you should just give up on roller setting I have never bee able to rollerset my hair it need came out right. Maybe you can wash condition air dry in braids flat iron next day thats the 2 day version or when I'm in a hurry I cw blowfrying low heat flat iron. I can get that done in about 1:15
Roller setting is not for everyone I'm one of them especially no for people with thick hair and I'd hate to see you go to a stylist who will set you back and really not be able to do any better than you wih roller setting
Stylists couldnt rollerset my hair either it was Bd and FI

I like rollersets, so I doubt I'll be giving them up completely. I can do a flexi-rod set with no problem, it just takes so long to dry that I rarely have the time to do it. I wouldn't have a problem with a stylist doing it for me though. Magnetic sets work fine too, but don't have the patience to roll in small sections like I would need to in order to get good results. I think I have a better chance of getting a setback from blow drying and flat ironing, than from a rollerset.

Anyway, my consultation went well. The stylist immediately recognized that my hair is not the same texture all over, which was impressive because she's the 1st one who's ever said anything like that. I went ahead and made an appointment for Thursday. The only thing that made me a little hesitant is that she seems to like to cut :nono: She kept talking about trimming, and shaping, and styling. That means I can't let her trim my hair at all. I'll let you all know how it goes.

regina07

FoxxyLocs
Good luck on Thursday! Can't wait to see pictures of the final look. ITA - I wouldn't let a stylist put scissors to my hair until I'm sure we have the same definition of dust, trim, cut, shape and style....They speak a different language I tell ya.

NikkiGirl

Hey Ladies,

I haven't been posting because I really haven't been doing anything special to my hair. I have been co-washing and conditioning and putting it up in a bun. I am thinking about cutting off some of my relaxed ends, but I haven't made up my mind yet at all. I am just going to try to take care of it and see how it goes! I hope everyone else is doing well with their hair! HHG!

FoxxyLocs

@FoxxyLocs
Good luck on Thursday! Can't wait to see pictures of the final look. ITA - I wouldn't let a stylist put scissors to my hair until I'm sure we have the same definition of dust, trim, cut, shape and style....They speak a different language I tell ya.

They really do. I say "clip" and they hear "chop". I'm just going to tell her that I know my hair is uneven and I want it to stay that way, lol. No trim on the first date :lachen:

@NikkiGirl - I love your new siggy!

Sent from my HTC Evo

Last edited:

mcgheeola

I'm in WL now my last goal is HL i never did a challenge on here so i'm excited.Wash once a week CD once a week and bunning until August.

Last edited: