HIDE THE HEAT: SUMMER 2013 CHALLENGE

@rririla I saw novel chocolate DC in sally's and the label was in Spanish so put it down to look it up online :look: I guess it's a Dominican product.. does it compare to silicon mix at all?

[USER][/USER]AlliCat

The chocolate Novex is decent, it works better on my daughters hair, but she has a looser texture than mine. I used silicon mix 3 years ago so I don't really remember how similar the 2 are, but I KNOW I like Crece Pelo better than the chocolate in my own hair. It's very moisturizing and has a lot of slip.

I'm in. I just cut off some straight ends from going hard on the heat wagon in the beginning of the year.

I'm doing the no poo method. And co washing 2x per week. I'm sticking with wash n go's, braid or twist outs.

Summer & the challenge officially starts this Friday!

Now's the time to get out any urge to straighten

[USER][/USER]AlliCat....darnit!!! Reading is fundamental....why did I think the challenge already started, so I didn't rewash my hair, I just had it in a ponytail for my baby girls' GRADUATION!!!!:drunk:....Had I known I would have had a bangin doo" (all silky flat ironed and stuff) lmao....Only me:lol:

[USER][/USER]AlliCat....darnit!!! Reading is fundamental....why did I think the challenge already started, so I didn't rewash my hair, I just had it in a ponytail for my baby girls' GRADUATION!!!!:drunk:....Had I known I would have had a bangin doo" (all silky flat ironed and stuff) lmao....Only me:lol:

:lol:
Maybe i can do a little blowdry on friday

@AlliCat....darnit!!! Reading is fundamental....why did I think the challenge already started, so I didn't rewash my hair, I just had it in a ponytail for my baby girls' GRADUATION!!!!:drunk:....Had I known I would have had a bangin doo" (all silky flat ironed and stuff) lmao....Only me:lol:

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

@rririla good to know you're dedicated :yep:

Last edited:
I'll join. My regimen is wash and DC with a heat cap on the weekends and cowash 1-2 x during the weekdays; M&S with the LCO method nightly. PS during the week with wet bunning and braidouts/ steam roller curls on the weekends. Goal length is MBL-think its pretty doable if I keep my ends tucked away and moisturized. Current length is past SL.

@shasha8685 :welcome:

How are you these days?! What's your regimen like and are you still wigging it?

AlliCat

I'm good!! I still wig it...but only when I am deep into my relaxer stretch. I'm trying to enjoy and learn my hair a bit more.

My regimen is going through some changes. Last yr, I went on a all moisture kick and I upped my heat usage....by a lot. It wasn't good for my hair. So, I still wash w/ a sulfate-free shampoo and DC but I'm careful to make sure I keep the moisture and protein in balance. Oh..and I also learned that if I'm going to give my hair direct heat..it has to be one form of direct heat. I can't blow dry AND flat iron. My hair hates that.

How have you been?

I'll join. My regimen is wash and DC with a heat cap on the weekends and cowash 1-2 x during the weekdays; M&S with the LCO method nightly. PS during the week with wet bunning and braidouts/ steam roller curls on the weekends. Goal length is MBL-think its pretty doable if I keep my ends tucked away and moisturized. Current length is past SL.

jerseyhaircare :welcome: sounds like you have a pretty solid reggie

@AlliCat

I'm good!! I still wig it...but only when I am deep into my relaxer stretch. I'm trying to enjoy and learn my hair a bit more.

My regimen is going through some changes. Last yr, I went on a all moisture kick and I upped my heat usage....by a lot. It wasn't good for my hair. So, I still wash w/ a sulfate-free shampoo and DC but I'm careful to make sure I keep the moisture and protein in balance. Oh..and I also learned that if I'm going to give my hair direct heat..it has to be one form of direct heat. I can't blow dry AND flat iron. My hair hates that.

How have you been?

I've also been good!! This past year my retention has been stagnant. I graduated, started the career and unfortunately hair just went on the back-burner so I stayed at BSL for the longest time

Now I'm back in full swing at MBL, on a mission to at least graze waist length this year. My regimen is pretty much the same just been using some new products like Silicon Mix and the Macadamia mask (love!). Along with heat, been avoiding sulfates (just tried a new sulfate-free 'poo: Agadir Daily Moisturizing shampoo - so far so good. First sulfate-free 'poo I used where my scalp actually feels completely clean). I wig it on the weekends and during the week I bun, ponytail or do flexi-rod curls to work. When/if I get the urge to straighten, planning on blowing out my roots on cool, using Caruso steam rollers to smooth, then saran wrap method to set.

How many weeks post are you? I'll be 8 this weekend and attempting to stretch until the end of the challenge

:lachen::lachen::lachen:

@rririla good to know you're dedicated :yep:

[USER][/USER]AlliCat....dedicated???!!!...shoot, I am mad lol!....I feel like flat ironing it NOW...JUST because....hehehe!

But anyway...I finally got my phyto products in the mail, I ordered some silk dreams vanilla silk last night, SO lT'S OFFICIAL....I am no heat til....when?!... September?!!! Lawd give me strength:look:!!!!

On another note, I prepooed, washed with keracare first lather, followed by a moisturizing shampoo, conditioned, then used my Pytho leave ins, air dryed in a braid, and I must say I am NOT as miserable as I thought I would be. I don't love my curly hair but I do love being lazy, and trust me no rollersetting or blowing or flat ironing, DOES have it's advantages....:grin:

I just had a bad hair morning. Used a new product for a twist out, and my hair was so wet in the morning, bla. I didnt difuse tho. Just high bunned it and put on cute earings, lol

Wow everyone seem focused. Maybe i will skip that blow dry on friday. We'll see. I might finally put my curlformers to use to stretch my hair.

@jerseyhaircare :welcome: sounds like you have a pretty solid reggie

I've also been good!! This past year my retention has been stagnant. I graduated, started the career and unfortunately hair just went on the back-burner so I stayed at BSL for the longest time

Now I'm back in full swing at MBL, on a mission to at least graze waist length this year. My regimen is pretty much the same just been using some new products like Silicon Mix and the Macadamia mask (love!). Along with heat, been avoiding sulfates (just tried a new sulfate-free 'poo: Agadir Daily Moisturizing shampoo - so far so good. First sulfate-free 'poo I used where my scalp actually feels completely clean). I wig it on the weekends and during the week I bun, ponytail or do flexi-rod curls to work. When/if I get the urge to straighten, planning on blowing out my roots on cool, using Caruso steam rollers to smooth, then saran wrap method to set.

How many weeks post are you? I'll be 8 this weekend and attempting to stretch until the end of the challenge

I'm 6 weeks post so my hair hasn't gotten to the crazy, unruly stage yet. I probably won't get my next relaxer until the end of Sept/beginning of Oct.

@rririla what Phyto products did you get? That line always looked really nice but I don't hear a lot of people using it

AlliCat.....during the half off sale, I got the Phyto 9 and the Phytokeratine....the first Phyto 9 I have used for a while off and on. I like that mostly when my hair is straight bc it is nourishing and absorbs into my hair well. The Phyto Keratine I purchased from the reviews on here, it's in the thread 'products u like but don't here about others using" lol...or something to that effect.

I used it on my damp hair and so far so good, I wanna try it when I rollerset my hair to see if there is a real difference in my splits, bc on my curly hair it's hard to tell. but my rollerset hair might show results better. The Phyto Keratine is actually a repair serum....which we know is an oxy moron but I still wanted to give it a try because I don't want to cut/trim my hair just yet!

I haven't tried any other products from the line so I can't really help there but what I have tried seems to work pretty well!

@AlliCat.....during the half off sale, I got the Phyto 9 and the Phytokeratine....the first Phyto 9 I have used for a while off and on. I like that mostly when my hair is straight bc it is nourishing and absorbs into my hair well. The Phyto Keratine I purchased from the reviews on here, it's in the thread 'products u like but don't here about others using" lol...or something to that effect.

I used it on my damp hair and so far so good, I wanna try it when I rollerset my hair to see if there is a real difference in my splits, bc on my curly hair it's hard to tell. but my rollerset hair might show results better. The Phyto Keratine is actually a repair serum....which we know is an oxy moron but I still wanted to give it a try because I don't want to cut/trim my hair just yet!

I haven't tried any other products from the line so I can't really help there but what I have tried seems to work pretty well!

Ouu I'm interested in the PhytoKeratin stuff. Currently obsessed with serums at the moment.

*googles it* :look:

I'm in because I will be weaving it up for the summer. I will have to straighten my leave out though....I will try with rollers and zapping my roots on cool setting.

Ouu I'm interested in the PhytoKeratin stuff. Currently obsessed with serums at the moment.

*googles it* :look:

I got that too after reading EnExitStageLeft review of it. And since her ends are on point, i just had to have it. It actually is a cream. I do trim pretty frequently, but i am hoping that this will help me space my trimming from 8-12 weeks to 12-16 weeks. So far so good. I used it twice already, and my hair airdries pretty soft, not that this was an issue before. I just had a trim beginning of june, so i can't really tell how good it is working yet.
I also got phytokarite and phytojoba mask. I love karite better: soft, moisturized hair, lots of slip, no "coney" feeling ( i think they are both cone free).
Phytojoba shampoo is very moisturizing. Left my hair clean but not stripped. It has sulfate.
I got the phyto 9, it's just a meh product to me. I love my silk dream (almond buttercream or mocha moisturizing leave in) and qhemet (brbc) mositurizers better.
I ordered the phytocyane ampoules (scalp leave in) for my thinning edges, and i will let you all know how it's working.
Overall great line. It is not 100% natural, but it does not have all the harsh, fake ingredients of other salon brands. I love my natural products, but i get nervous sometimes with the inconsistencies of these small vendors. And DH is getting tired of me saving my hair products in the fridge:lachen:. So i am watching this line closely.

I got that too after reading EnExitStageLeft review of it. And since her ends are on point, i just had to have it. It actually is a cream. I do trim pretty frequently, but i am hoping that this will help me space my trimming from 8-12 weeks to 12-16 weeks. So far so good. I used it twice already, and my hair airdries pretty soft, not that this was an issue before. I just had a trim beginning of june, so i can't really tell how good it is working yet.
I also got phytokarite and phytojoba mask. I love karite better: soft, moisturized hair, lots of slip, no "coney" feeling ( i think they are both cone free).
Phytojoba shampoo is very moisturizing. Left my hair clean but not stripped. It has sulfate.
I got the phyto 9, it's just a meh product to me. I love my silk dream (almond buttercream or mocha moisturizing leave in) and qhemet (brbc) mositurizers better.
I ordered the phytocyane ampoules (scalp leave in) for my thinning edges, and i will let you all know how it's working.
Overall great line. It is not 100% natural, but it does not have all the harsh, fake ingredients of other salon brands. I love my natural products, but i get nervous sometimes with the inconsistencies of these small vendors. And DH is getting tired of me saving my hair products in the fridge:lachen:. So i am watching this line closely.

ronie nice review of the line!! Thanks for the details. Looking forward to seeing how it benefits your hair in conjunction with no heat. Please let us know how the Phytocyane works for your edges. I've pretty much attributed my thin spot to heredity (my mom has it too) but I there's something that works to thicken it I'm definitely interested

Bought a new product: Tresemme Split Remedy End Sealing Serum. It was on sale :yay: so how I used it: first moisturized in 4 sections with beloved NTM mixed with 3-4 drops of coconut oil per section. then sealed all that goodness in with the Tresemme, seriously focusing on the ends. Wonder how my hair turns out tomorrow. The product contains keratin and biotin (a plus imo) hope it doesn't give me crispy crunchy ends. But for $5 I'm not expecting the most

Joining in on this. I am 4 weeks post and going for 24 weeks. Planning to install Havana twists for the summer. Since I can't seem to keep anything in for very long I'll keep them in for 3 weeks and bun on the 4th week. Rinse and repeat until I get tired of them. Right now I cowash 4-5 days per week after my workouts and damp bun. Will participate more when the challenge starts as I am preparing for exams on Thursday.

We can do it. Hopefully i get a nice surprise in september.

@ronie

I have faith that YOU will do it....I need a lil more conviction...I am praying that I don't relapse, but I did see a video that Marcherie did about how to straighten roots WITHOUT HEAT, after a rollerset!...It's posted in the setting for success thread if u want to check it out!

I'm sure you will have a nice surprise in September...ur hair is lovely already!

Back