Henna Frequency + Benefits/Drawbacks

HERicane10

Questions for all the "Henna-Queens":

1. How often are you doing your henna treatments now?

2. How long do you leave treatment in?

3. What benefits or drawbacks have you found while using henna?

I really love doing my henna treatments and how shedding gets stopped in its tracks. But I read something on an Indian haircare site, that said henna should not be done often because its drying to the hair. I am leaning toward believing that as I did 2 henna treatments during my 12 week stretch attempt (to keep hair strong at demarcation line) and even though I CW often; when I got my relaxer my hair was very dry and tangled at the root AND.... I lost a SOFTBALL size amount of hair in the process!:eek: :( Luckily my hair still looks thick and even (thanks biotin & carrot juice); but either frequent henna or 12 week stretches are not for me, cuz something just did not work in my favor.

HoneyDew

Only every 4-6 weeks. I used to do them weekly.

For at least an hour with 20 min of that under the hooded dryer.

I have not had any drawbacks accept that the days I do it are a pain because I don't like to deal with the rinsing and everything. I get spoiled on the days I don't use henna because my hair care time is so much shorter.

I do think it was too much when I was doing it weekly. After 4 weeks of doing it over and over again, my hair just wasn't right. I has been better for me to do it every 4-6 weeks or so.

ladytq

For right now I'm doing my treatment everyweek until I reach saturation point. Then I will continue treatment 1x per month. Also to cut back the drying affect I only use 75 grams of henna, (I'm almost BSL) any cheapie conditioner, coconut milk, 3tbl of alma powder, and olive oil. I use the mix a day later. I don't use any water.

Same as HoneyDew, 1 hour w/o heat and then about 20 w/heat.

I love the thickness it gives, the strength, and porous control. The only drawback for me which is very minor to me, is my curl pattern is changing. It's not as curly.

I use Regis Olive oil conditioner (thx neli) and Roux 619 (thx Honeydew), after the henna treatment and my hair is sooo soft and pretty!!!

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
I LOVE to Henna! My hair thanks me for it, too!

I will do them every three weeks or so.

I actually left my henna in for 5 hours. My hair didn't turn out try at all. And the shedding/breakage post-underprocessed relaxer, has almost entirely stopped. The key is to come up with a mixture that includes ingredients, such as oils, moisturizers and/or conditioner. Here's my mixture:

100g Henna
2 tablespoons of EVOO
1 TBP of Shikaki Oil
1 TBP of Alma Oil
1 TBP of Castor Oil (any kind)
Distilled water
1/2 cup of plain yogurt

Not only is the mixture nice and consistent, it goes on very smoothly for me and rinsing out nicely. I am using an Indian shampoo/conditioner combination that includes Shikaki, Alma and Neem to help me rinse out the mixture. Not a problem, not a mess at all.

My roommate looking at me funny!:lachen:

HERicane10

HoneyDew said:
Only every 4-6 weeks. I used to do them weekly.

For at least an hour with 20 min of that under the hooded dryer.

I have not had any drawbacks accept that the days I do it are a pain because I don't like to deal with the rinsing and everything. I get spoiled on the days I don't use henna because my hair care time is so much shorter.

I do think it was too much when I was doing it weekly. After 4 weeks of doing it over and over again, my hair just wasn't right. I has been better for me to do it every 4-6 weeks or so.

I did weekly, sometimes biweekly :eek:, for about 1-2 months. I think that your 4-6 week schedule will work better for me too. I definitely won't be giving up my henna!;) Just need to reduce the frequency now, I think. It's still true...."To much of ANYTHING ain't good for you!"

sareca

I've had kinky twists in for the last 4 months. After the first set (that I kept for 8 weeks) I didn't notice any change in my hair's condition only the color so I did a couple of treatments and put the twists back in.

When I took this last set out, I had some serious split ends. I've probably spent an hour dusting in the last 7 days. :eek: I'm getting another set of kinky twist next week and after this set I will probably go back to once/week for at least 2 months. :yep: Right now I'm trying to do as many treatments as I can. So far I've done 4 treatments (2 henna, 1 henna/indigo and 1 indigo) in the last 7 days.

30-40 minutes with heat

Benefits: Shine, strength, chem-free, and of course the color. I love me some jet black hair! :drool:

Drawbacks: The process is long (at least for me; my hair is prone to dryness), messy, and stinky.

HERicane10

sareca said:

I've had kinky twists in for the last 4 months. After the first set (that I kept for 8 weeks) I didn't notice any change in my hair's condition only the color so I did a couple of treatments and put the twists back in.

When I took this last set out, I had some serious split ends. I've probably spent an hour dusting in the last 7 days. :eek: I'm getting another set of kinky twist next week and after this set I will probably go back to once/week for at least 2 months. :yep: Right now I'm trying to do as many treatments as I can. So far I've done 4 treatments (2 henna, 1 henna/indigo and 1 indigo) in the last 7 days.

30-40 minutes with heat

Benefits: Shine, strength, chem-free, and of course the color. I love me some jet black hair! :drool:

Drawbacks: The process is long (at least for me; my hair is prone to dryness), messy, and stinky.

Sareca, your hair looks awesome.;) Shiny & Thick & DEFINITELY picking up that length!:) I'm so glad that the kinky twist are working well for you. I see you've done an indigo only treatment. can you give me your routine for that treatment? and how many days was it apart from your last henna treatment?