HELP! Vacation: Braids or Relaxer?

Braids or Relaxer?? Whats Best/Less Stress for My Hair?

• Get Relaxer, Then Get Braids BEFORE Your Vacation!

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

MsMontoute

Hi Ladies, I need help, I have a bit of a dilemma!!

Here are the facts:
  • I am getting ready to go on vacation in about 2 weeks.
  • My relaxer will be at its goal of 10 weeks right before I leave.
  • I am considering getting twists put in for the 6 days that I am on vacation because I will probably go swimming in the pool and want convenience of not doing hair.
My questions are:
With my hair at 10 weeks, should I get braids? Will it stress my hair too much and break it off?

If I DO put twists/braids in, should I get the relaxer BEFORE putting the braids in or WAIT until after I come back from vacay?

Should I treat my braids with anything while I am on vacation if I get a relaxer or not to protect my hair?

OR

If I DON’T put twists/braids in at all and just wear my hair, should I get a relaxer BEFORE the vacation or wait until after?

Should I treat my hair with anything while I am away if I get a relaxer or if I don’t to protect my hair?

Thank you so much, please answer the poll and provide all of your thoughts and recommendations. My hair has been doing so well and I don't want to make a mistake :wallbash:

msa

I think you should get the braids/twists. When I'm on vacation I do not like to fuss with hair. Just make sure they're not so long or so big that when they get wet their weight won't be too heavy for your hair (especially your edges).

If you get braids just take the next couple of weeks to prepare your hair, make sure it's moisturized and strong beforehand. Then while the braids are in make sure to continue to moisturize.

Do not relax right before you get the braids. Wait until after you come home.

Soliel185

yeah - I agree with MSA.

Do a strengthening DC to prep before getting the braids, and go that route for vacation. Whenever I go somewhere (esp with the SO) we're always rushing to go from one activity to the next, and if I'm frustrating and rushing I'm more likely to be rough with my hair trying to style in a hurry. Braids give me one less thing to worry about. :yep:

Once you get back and remove the braids, do another DC and let your hair rest for a week or two before you get your touch-up. Then you get to the stretch longer (yay! more growth!) and w/o the trauma of trying to deal with the NG that whole time.

MsMontoute

yeah - I agree with MSA.

Do a strengthening DC to prep before getting the braids, and go that route for vacation.

Once you get back and remove the braids, do another DC and let your hair rest for a week or two before you get your touch-up. Then you get to the stretch longer (yay! more growth!) and w/o the trauma of trying to deal with the NG that whole time.

Ok great, it sounds like the braids are winning and get the relaxer when I come back...check! What kind of strengthening deep conditioner would you recommend? and what should I use on the braids while I am on vacay?

WorkInProgress88

.go ahead and get those braids/twist
.you AND your hair will be thanking you later (won't have to fuss around w/ your hair AND you would have to bring as much products w/ you)
.last but not least......have fun && take picturesss

Soliel185

Ok great, it sounds like the braids are winning and get the relaxer when I come back...check! What kind of strengthening deep conditioner would you recommend? and what should I use on the braids while I am on vacay?

You could use a protein treatment like ORS replenishing pak, or Africa's Best Hair Mayo, or you could take a reg condish that you already like and add some protein to it. Some folks use egg for protein with good results. If you do a search I'm sure you could find lots of possibilities. :yep:

Lovestyr

I say braid it up now and when you come back relaxer your hair. and as you already are problaby aware you have to wait at least 2 weeks to relax affer taking the braids out.ENjo:driver:y your vacation:wave:

mika vs sasha

i don't like my hair braided, i have this complex that i'm too old for it. Mainly b/it reminds me of my childhood. As a child, i wore the "brandy braids" year round... anyways, enough about me. i would suggest Aubrey Organics- white camellia and jasmine shine conditioner spray, it's perfect for sun protection and give lots of shine!! I love the way it smells and the vegatable glycerine will give you moisture.

TwistNMx

IMO, especially since you are going swimming, I would advise you to wear braids and then relax when you get home if you can.
The elements could make your hair break off if you get a fresh perm and braids too. :yep:
If you are going to special events, take a wig to blend in. :yep:

Good luck and hope you have a great vacation.

winnettag

i don't like my hair braided, i have this complex that i'm too old for it. Mainly b/it reminds me of my childhood. As a child, i wore the "brandy braids" year round... anyways, enough about me. i would suggest Aubrey Organics- white camellia and jasmine shine conditioner spray, it's perfect for sun protection and give lots of shine!! I love the way it smells and the vegatable glycerine will give you moisture.

I say braids, then relaxer as well. Especially since you'll probably be swimming. Having that much new growth is a good thing when getting braids put in. :yep:

This AO conditiong spray sounds like a great braid spray. I always used Better Braids, but I wanted something natural, so I'm going to try this next time.

Have fun on your trip!

MsMontoute

Thank you all so much for your responses!! This has been really great and extremely helpful! I will put a good conditioner in before I get my braids in, I will put to braids in and then conditioner my hair good when I come back and then I will wait another 2 weeks to get a relaxer. Perfect!!!

P.S. During those two weeks that I am waiting for a relaxer, can I go to the dominicans and get my roots blow out or is that too much for my hair?

winnettag

Thank you all so much for your responses!! This has been really great and extremely helpful! I will put a good conditioner in before I get my braids in, I will put to braids in and then conditioner my hair good when I come back and then I will wait another 2 weeks to get a relaxer. Perfect!!!

P.S. During those two weeks that I am waiting for a relaxer, can I go to the dominicans and get my roots blow out or is that too much for my hair?

I don't know about getting the roots blown out. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in.
You could try doing braidouts or twistouts so the new growth will blend in better.

ThePerfectScore

Braid then relax.... I think relaxing and braiding is way too much stress on the hair... But if u do decide not to braid I would say do the leave conditioner in... this is what i did when I went to Jamaica.. did all the swimming I wanted.. and after I washed I left conditioner in and but it up in a bun... keeps the hair moisturized and protected b/c I know cholrine and salty sea water can make ur hair dry.

MsMontoute

Hi Ladies,
So today is the day before I get on my cruise and I NEVER found the time to get my hair braided. :wallbash: This is my last week in my current role and I have put in so many late nights this week that it completely slipped my mind...and frankly I really didn't have the money to get the style that I wanted until after payday anyway :nono:

So...to make a long story short, I am going to leave my hair as is, 10 weeks old, I will wet it and condition it before I get into the pool and then co-wash into a bun afterwards. I figure that I will probably have to do this maybe 2 times but hey, it will all be ok!

Thanks for all of the post and responses ladies!!