Relaxer after braids.....

Kadeja

How long do you generally wait after taking
braids out before getting a relaxer? I took
my braids out on Saturday and am going on vacation
to Vegas next week Thursday. I have it pulled back in one with the ponytail today, but the new growth is showing badly.

Kadeja,

Ideally, I usually try to wait at least a week to two weeks before relaxing my hair. During this time I condition my hair at least twice a week, with moisturizing and mild protein treatments (I use Dudley's Hair Rebuilder).

However there have been times when I have chosen to put a relaxer on my hair within a week of taking braids out and I experienced little breakage, shedding etc. When I did this I made sure to condition, condition, condition... I have a lot of really thick, resilient hair..and know what it can take..

shanda michelle

Lindy

I don't know much about braids, but I have a girlfriend who recently took out her microbraids and relaxed her new growth the next day! She said everything seemed to be going well, she deep conditioned it and everything, then when it was time to comb out her hair, she said it was SO tangled, and it had huge knots in it that she ended up having to cut out. She also told me her hair was in such bad shape when all was said and done, that she trimmed 4 inches off of it (when she started, it was below bra-strap!!!) /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Judging by her story, it seems that it's best to wait at least a couple of washes before relaxing. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kadeja

Thanx sooo much for the words of wisdom. I think I will wash and deep condition at least two more times (3 days apart) before getting the relaxer....

sweetdaises2000

THE PROBLEM IS MICROBRAIDS, THEY TANGLE UP
DID SHE COMB OUT THE HAIR BEFORE SHE PERMED IT. AND SHE SHOULD HAVE WAITED A DAY OR TWO BEFORE SHE GOT A TOUCH UP.

SweetNic_JA

I generally wait 2 to 3 weeks after having braids for 2 months. I'm keeping my braids in for 3 months this time around and I plan on waiting 4 weeks before I touch up.
I do condition washes atleast once a week and at most 3 times a week. I moisturize my hair daily either by wetting it and then adding olive oil + ors carrot oil , or I spray a mixture of curl activator moisturizer and leave-in conditioner.

I have thin 4a/4b hair and I have to be very careful with it.

ngaa

i agree wit the ladies in waitn for @ least a week b4 puttin the relaxer in, in the mean time u cud wear yo hair in the pony tail, have u tried some curl activator?? it really softens the hair and cud help wen combin the growth /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kadeja

I only had the braids in for 3 1/2 weeks and the new growth is really getting on my nerves. I haven't had a relaxer in about 9 weeks, so my hair really needs it. Is it okay if I wait 1 1/2 week before getting a relaxer. Since I took them out on Saturday (3/15), I was hoping to get a relaxer before my trip to Vegas next Thursday (03/27). If not, I will just have to get it re-braided. Whadda ya think?

bri123

I waited two months before i put a relaxer in. I got this info from http://www.growafrohairlong.com from Robin she was really helpful. I deep conditioned my hair every week with leklair cholestoral and also after I washed my hair and did the acv rinse and then I applied infusium 23 leave in treatment i didn't have any breakage just very small amount that helped so much because you hair is week once it comes out of braids and that gives you time to make your hair stronger and it definately sucks waiting two months because my hair is really course and thick so it was hard. But it is worth it because you don't want to lose all your hair either. I hope this helps. I am going back in braids next month.