HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

I found an unused jar of Africa's Best Super Gro under my moms sink. I shampooed, conditioned, applied a leave-in and put the Africa's Best on my ends. Haven't done this before so hoping to see good results.

It will be good to see the difference between the hair with just leave-in and the ends with the grease.

When you guys seal, are you sealing the entire strand or just the last 2"?

Thanks

I usually seal all 4 sections of my hair right after a wash, but throughout the week I re-wet and reseal the last 2" of my hair with grease.

I usually seal all 4 sections of my hair right after a wash, but throughout the week I re-wet and reseal the last 2" of my hair with grease.

Thanks An_gell, I will try this next time.

I have a feeling grease is the reason I didn' have SSKs when I was a kid. :spinning:

I cowashed and sealed with the cocoa butter vaseline.
I decided to put my hair in twists so I will see how the twist-out looks.
Tomorrow I will cowash again and attempt a jumbo coil-out.
I have to admit that I don't really have high hopes that the vaseline will be completely washed out with conditioner, but I'll try and report back! :)

I found an unused jar of Africa's Best Super Gro under my moms sink. I shampooed, conditioned, applied a leave-in and put the Africa's Best on my ends. Haven't done this before so hoping to see good results.

It will be good to see the difference between the hair with just leave-in and the ends with the grease.

When you guys seal, are you sealing the entire strand or just the last 2"?

Thanks

I did the entire length of my hair. I'm color-treated so I want to make sure I'm sealing my entire strand to avoid breakage.

Is Africa's Best Super Gro the grease with the "herbs" in it? I remember one of those greases had that and it smelled so good! :grin:

I did the entire length of my hair. I'm color-treated so I want to make sure I'm sealing my entire strand to avoid breakage.

Is Africa's Best Super Gro the grease with the "herbs" in it? I remember one of those greases had that and it smelled so good! :grin:

BraunSugar, This one doesn't have herbs in it. The scent is nice but subtle. It does have a lot of nice oils in it (coconut, almond, sesame seed, olive, casor, safflower, wheat germ). And i has cayenenne pepper, ginseng, black pepper and rosemary. --- wow -- nice.

I cowashed and sealed with the cocoa butter vaseline.
I decided to put my hair in twists so I will see how the twist-out looks.
Tomorrow I will cowash again and attempt a jumbo coil-out.
I have to admit that I don't really have high hopes that the vaseline will be completely washed out with conditioner, but I'll try and report back! :)

davisbr88 how did the twistout come out?

davisbr88 how did the twistout come out?

Twist-out came out nicely:

phpNCBigYPM.jpg

phpHAQTuUPM.jpg

phpF1fm8UPM.jpg

It is very nicely defined and has a good amount of weight to it, but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I don't particularly like the coated feeling the vaseline gave my hair.

ETA: Better pics are here: http://oneand20.blogspot.com/2011/07/hotd-twist-out.html

Last edited:
I bought the Blue Magic coconut oil one. My hair feels really soft. I used to use it as a kid. I guess it can't hurt now.

I have lots of cocoa butter, shea butter, serum, oils, pomades, hair lotions, conditioners, glycerin, aloe vera gel, etc., you name it. In fact, I have some of the products mentioned in this thread--so I don't need to buy anything for heavy sealing.

I was at the beauty supply store a few hours ago, and I saw Dax. What a coincidence! I'll put that on my future hair products list as well as the Tropical Island products; but right now, I have to use what I have before my current products go bad. They've been sitting long enough.

Plus, this economy is really making me think twice about spending money on nonessentials. Now I'm just buying to replace, and that's it.

Last edited:
I applied the grease to my ends last night. I probably applied to much because my ends just felt greasy. I think I will try this again when I do my 2 strand flat twists. I think it will help keep them looking nice.

Tonight I put in mini 2 strand twists. I applied Jane Carter condition and sculpt to my ends and then applied the grease to the ends. I think it will work perfectly for this. and I will check my ends mid-week and apply again if needed. I may not be able to use grease in all situations but I think this will be a good fit.

Update:
So the vaseline definitely did NOT rinse away completely with my cowash.
However, my hair did get soaked in the shower so maybe it doesn't completely block out moisture? I'm not sure, but if moisture can still get in while still keeping my hair sealed (have NO idea how that's possible), I guess it's not so bad.
?
I don't like the coated feeling, but if it keeps my ends lubed enough not to knot, I may have to make the sacrifice because these SSKs in my head are determined to be the death of me! I won't seal again until probably next week. I don't think it will be necessary for a long time.
Anyway, I'll keep updating for those ladies who cowash daily.

This totally works on my daughter so I'm sure it will work on adults. I use Talliah Wajid's hair grease to seal in SCurl. Works beautifully on all styles.

I wonder if scalp base creme for relaxers would work. You can get like 4 pounds for $15. Isn't it petroleum-based? I feel like I would prefer the light feeling of that creme over actual vaseline.
Guess I'll be hitting up Sally tomorrow :)

My hair loves castor oil though I've never seen the brand you have in the photo before. It doesn't break me out like classic "grease" does I wear my hair out draping over my face. Plus it soaks in my hair and doesn't keep moisture out like petro products does.

Ok so I wore a twistout today after putting the blue magic in my hair last night. It feels like butter. When I untangled the twists it unraveled very easily, instead of getting a little knotted when I pull them apart. It kinda seemed to melt the tangles away.

Unfortunately I have the itchies because it's that time to wash again. Hopefully I can get it to feeling the same way again.

I applied the grease to the ends of my micro twists. They feel a little greasy but I'm ok with that. Without it I would be concerned that my ends were drying out. And I think with the grease, my ends will be ok while wearing this style. Will monitor my ends every day to see how often I need to reseal.

When I was completely natural I used to mix blue soft sheen grease, Vaseline (blue top) & glycerine together (a recipe from an older cousin with long healthy hair) & my hair was always soft & had a really nice sheen. She said it made her hair grow, I never really straightened my hair then to check growth. I did work really well for my daughter's hair, she has a really dry scalp. I also gave some to a co-worker for her grand daughter & she said it helped her baby's hair grow; she still calls periodically asking for more.

"...Forgetting what is behind and looking forward to what is ahead,..."
Philippians 3:13

I got some blue moon coconut oil grease ... Moisturized with my suave humectant and sealed with the grease... my hair was moisturized for days! But I did have some greasiness issues... SO didn't like :/

Okay, so I've had some time to do some experimenting since my last post. The first time I shampooed my hair after my twist out, I used a sulfate free shampoo (Elasta QP creme conditioning shampoo. The old formula). My hair did not feel very clean. It didn't feel greasy but there was definitely a slight coating on my hair. It almost felt plasticky.

I whipped some shea butter and blue magic together and put it on my hair. It was too heavy and the shea butter made the blue magic less pliable. I wasn't pleased with it. I even added more blue magic but it didn't help.

I washed my hair again w/a sulfate shampoo and it felt clean like all the product was off my hair. I DC'd and applied just the blue magic to my hair. Definitely a lot lighter and worked like a charm. The blue magic even gave some definition to my hair. I still applied a little gel over it because I like for my hair to last a few days. All & all it worked out well.

I have been using Crisco. My SO looks at me and shakes his head every single time but it works well!

OK so I'm having the fuzzy problem even when my hair is cornrowed the top is fuzzy, then by the end of the day, I have poofs where the braidout used to be. Ugh! question though: isn't petroleum bad for your hair?

Sent from my Xoom using Xoom

I was thinking this bc of being on the board they say its a NO NO. When I was a little girl I remember momma did my hair with water and grease and I know that it had to be Petroleum LOL...it was something in a red and blue container not plastic and it had a silver top like tin can. But my hair was the best back then LOL....So IDK, this may really work!

I was thinking this bc of being on the board they say its a NO NO. When I was a little girl I remember momma did my hair with water and grease and I know that it had to be Petroleum LOL...it was something in a red and blue container not plastic and it had a silver top like tin can. But my hair was the best back then LOL....So IDK, this may really work!

I used to moisturize my hair and then follow it up with Pink Lotion and my hair was the best back then. Greasy because I was heavy-handed, but for someone that didn't know a thing about deep conditioning it did stay well moisturized and while my ends were bad from NEVER trimming they were still pretty good for what they were.

When I started my HHJ I picked up the Blue Magic Coconut Oil because it was the only "coconut oil" on the shelf and I had decent results. Sealing with oils was working for a while but I noticed the last few months it just hasn't been working well enough (and I've tried all of my tricks to get my hair to behave). I might pick up some Blue Magic. :look: I don't have time to DC as much as I used to so maybe I can stretch my time if I don't get too greasy.

I'm so glad the 'Heavy Sealing' is working for you all.

@faithVA - yes it's addictive isn't it. The one time i didn't use my Dax on wash day, my hair was back to feeling like straw and frizzy half way through the day. I also had lots of tangles.

@choconillaprincess - glad you found what works for you. That's how i apply it too, to damp hair. In fact i realised i was a bit too heavy handed and now use a little less and i now have less greasiness but the same results.

@BraunSugar - thanks for the update.

I wore my hair in a wash and go for the first time in a loooong time using this method. Usually my hair is very hard at the end of a day and very shrunken. This time my hair was alot softer, more defined and completely, dry i had a less shrinkage. I never use gel. Next time i do it, i'll take a pick.

I apply a small amount of grease to the entire length of each section that I'm twisting - usually soaking wet hair. Once dry my hair is silky and shiny and not greasy at all.

My only issue is that it only lasts days, so I would like to extend the effects to last a week.

Back