HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
felic1, when my hair is misbehaving and breaking, heavy sealing helps to combat the breaking. It doesn't make it stop completely but it slows it up tremendously.

felic1

Yes, I have been wanting to look into this. I remember Lita saying she would be heavy sealing last winter. I had not heard that much about it.

Mz.MoMo5235

Hair grease is good for locking in the moisture so long as you use the right products under it and you are actually washing it out (meaning you may have to go to a sulfate poo if you've been sulfate free)

I know I'm going back to this method now that I live in an even drier climate than what I was before. I have to use heavier products on everything! Hair and skin!

I will be making my own grease out of raw shea butter and coconut oil with some eo's added for gp

I will be using this on hair and skin. I just have to stop being lazy and make it already. Glad I saw this to remind me.

Froreal3

haulin hard in the paint
I heavy seal with a butter or natural grease like Hairveda Almond Glaze. Love this stuff. I make sure to use a clarifying shampoo every month.

Mz.MoMo5235

Also I havent gone through all pages but several have had great success sealing the Vaseline. I know it works well but can be heavy if you're not light with it and if you dont clarify. I just want to do the shea butter instead of store bough grease because I'm trying to move to a more natural life style. If I found a natural poo and cond that worked as well as aussie moist or HE HH I'd switch in a heart beat. But my hair wants what it wants and I've learned not to fight with her.

Mskraizy

Sounds interesting. What about vasaline? I may try this. As a kid, I did love the smell of Blue Magic Hair Grease! That was one bad hair product I hated to give up! lol

prettybyrd

Sounds interesting. What about vasaline? I may try this. As a kid, I did love the smell of Blue Magic Hair Grease! That was one bad hair product I hated to give up! lol

I tried using Vaseline a few years ago and I made a mess because I was using entirely too much. I don't think that it will hurt your hair, just use a light hand.

Also, there are a few people in the Let's Talk About Grease thread who are now using Blue Magic again after they stopped using grease. The PJ in me wants to grab a jar even though I have plenty of other kinds.

CrinkumCrankum

I discovered several years ago that anything less than castor oil (in thickness) was a waste of my time.

Now I see I'm not the only one. Great thread.

nisemac

i've been doing this with JBCO. i apply it to my hair while its dripping wet. next day, soft and smooth. under wigs, will last about 3-4 days before i need to cowash and do again.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
^ Ma'am, what sort of ingredients do you use that are heavier than castor oil? My hair is the same and I use black castor daily and about to revisit lanolin again as an option....

AmethystLily

Cynic on the outside; Dreamer on the inside
Bump! Had to come here cause I finally took the plunge and tried sealing with grease. Seemed to work! I didn't think it would because the other times I've tried using it, it just sat and felt greasy and made my scalp itch. In fact, some of the lighter oils I tried just sat and felt greasy. Tried almond oil and olive oil. Didn't really work. But then last month I decided on a whim to get some Softee Herbal Gro (the green stuff). After washing, I parted in sections and put a fingertip's amount on the ends and styled (crown twist). I noticed when I took it down a few days later, it still felt soft, pliable, and didn't tangle so much. Key was to be light-handed and keep most of it off my scalp to avoid itching due to buildup. Who would've guessed? :grin:

Now I will say this: There's one possible exception that works when it comes to lighter oils: Argan oil. I don't use it as my primary sealant anymore because it doesn't last as long, but it seems to work between washes when I need a boost. Just dampen with water or use water-based product, then spritz the oil on the ends. I use Organix argan oil of Morocco formula (note: it has 'cones in it, so I still wonder if my hair likes them rather than the oil) :spinning: .

almond eyes

I think the reason why grease may work better for some women could be based upon your hair porosity. Grease tends to fill in the holes of the cuticles while oils don't fill in the gaps and holes in the cuticles in some hair textures. Higher porosity hair tends to have more holes and gaps in the cuticle structure.

While heavy sealing may be the rescue to dry hair it is critical for us to also be aware of hair practices that could be contributing to creating more holes and gaps in our cuticles. For example, extension braiding with synthetic hair puts microscopic holes in your hair and draws out the moisture. So women who use extension braiding as a primary style and for many years tend to have hair with more of these holes and heavy sealing may work however it is only a temporary solution and can leave your hair greasy and with facial breakouts. This type of hair looks drier, accepts less water and has a hard time accepting sealants. So protein treatments must be paired with sealants. Heat damage can also do the same in terms of putting more holes in the cuticle structure causing hair too look rough and frayed. The finer the hair the more apparent this will look as opposed to someone with a thicker hair structure.

I used to braid my hair a lot and I heavy sealed which worked but it left me with very greasy hair, but now that I transitioned from my relaxer in 2013 and decided to shave it off and stop wearing any extension braids, I don't have to heavy seal though I must make sure to get every area of my hair because my hair is densely packed.

I actually like grease to stretch the front of my hair which is more porous. I blame this on getting an aveda color three months ago which literally sucked out my natural oils and caused my front to be more porous than usual. But I am working on that........

Best,
Almond Eyes

Last edited:

PlainJane

I stopped doing this because heavy sealing limited my styling choices, but I'm going to try it again. It has been impossible to keep my hair moisturized lately.

Crystalicequeen123

I just got into heavy sealing over the summer. Jojoba & coconut oil just weren't cutting it for me anymore and my ends were feeling horrible. I started using Nubian Heritage Evoo & Moringa hair butter. My hair felt so much more moisturized and soft. Now I'm going to be using some Tasti kiss hair butters, made with shea butter.

I have always avoided pure shea butter in my natural hair journey b/c I felt like it would be too heavy. But I'm starting to think my hair loves heavier moisturizers. Esp. as my hair grows longer and my ends get older.

YES!!! Same here!!!

When I first BC'd I used to twist my hair with aloe juice, jojoba oil mixed w/all-natural raw shea butter as a sealant, and my hair LOVED it!! :yep: My hair was thriving and it was growing like a weed! It also very rarely felt dry.

But then I went to this lady's salon who specialized in natural hair, and when she heard that I use shea butter on my hair she was totally against it! She said that it's too "heavy" for my fine natural hair, and that it was actually CLOGGING up my hair strands and not allowing any moisture to come INTO my hair. :ohwell: So, she told me that it wasn't doing my hair any good. :nono:

So...I stopped... :ohwell:

Fast forward to NOW... I've now since moved over to the West coast and the weather/climate is MUCH dryer than what me and my hair are used to, and I've long since stopped the shea butter regime years ago and just bought the butters and creams to twist my hair.. LEt me tell you, my hair is now DRY as a bone, it breaks so easily, and it no longer shines or holds moisture like it used to. :nono:

When I saw this thread it's like a lightbulb went off in my head!

I need to get back to my OLD regimen!

I think I'm going to try the Blue Magic castor Oil hair grease and seal with that instead of the raw shea butter. I'll give the castor oil a chance first. If THAT doesn't work, I'll go back to my tried and true raw shea butter. :look:

The moral of the story is: Do what works for YOU and YOUR hair. Don't listen to what everyone else (even your stylist) says. :nono:

I think the reason why grease may work better for some women could be based upon your hair porosity. Grease tends to fill in the holes of the cuticles while oils don't fill in the gaps and holes in the cuticles in some hair textures. Higher porosity hair tends to have more holes and gaps in the cuticle structure.

While heavy sealing may be the rescue to dry hair it is critical for us to also be aware of hair practices that could be contributing to creating more holes and gaps in our cuticles. For example, extension braiding with synthetic hair puts microscopic holes in your hair and draws out the moisture. So women who use extension braiding as a primary style and for many years tend to have hair with more of these holes and heavy sealing may work however it is only a temporary solution and can leave your hair greasy and with facial breakouts. This type of hair looks drier, accepts less water and has a hard time accepting sealants. So protein treatments must be paired with sealants. Heat damage can also do the same in terms of putting more holes in the cuticle structure causing hair too look rough and frayed. The finer the hair the more apparent this will look as opposed to someone with a thicker hair structure.

I used to braid my hair a lot and I heavy sealed which worked but it left me with very greasy hair, but now that I transitioned from my relaxer in 2013 and decided to shave it off and stop wearing any extension braids, I don't have to heavy seal though I must make sure to get every area of my hair because my hair is densely packed.

I actually like grease to stretch the front of my hair which is more porous. I blame this on getting an aveda color three months ago which literally sucked out my natural oils and caused my front to be more porous than usual. But I am working on that........

Best,
Almond Eyes

Thanks for this info! :yep:

I think I may wash with some Roux porosity control this week, do a deep condition, and try this "sealing" method and see if I notice a difference.

Goodness knows I need to try SOMETHING new in this DRY, California winter weather... :lol: My hair is like parched... :perplexed

ravenhairedcharm

I think the reason why grease may work better for some women could be based upon your hair porosity. Grease tends to fill in the holes of the cuticles while oils don't fill in the gaps and holes in the cuticles in some hair textures. Higher porosity hair tends to have more holes and gaps in the cuticle structure. While heavy sealing may be the rescue to dry hair it is critical for us to also be aware of hair practices that could be contributing to creating more holes and gaps in our cuticles. For example, extension braiding with synthetic hair puts microscopic holes in your hair and draws out the moisture. So women who use extension braiding as a primary style and for many years tend to have hair with more of these holes and heavy sealing may work however it is only a temporary solution and can leave your hair greasy and with facial breakouts. This type of hair looks drier, accepts less water and has a hard time accepting sealants. So protein treatments must be paired with sealants. Heat damage can also do the same in terms of putting more holes in the cuticle structure causing hair too look rough and frayed. The finer the hair the more apparent this will look as opposed to someone with a thicker hair structure. I used to braid my hair a lot and I heavy sealed which worked but it left me with very greasy hair, but now that I transitioned from my relaxer in 2013 and decided to shave it off and stop wearing any extension braids, I don't have to heavy seal though I must make sure to get every area of my hair because my hair is densely packed. I actually like grease to stretch the front of my hair which is more porous. I blame this on getting an aveda color three months ago which literally sucked out my natural oils and caused my front to be more porous than usual. But I am working on that........ Best, Almond Eyes

When you say extension braiding causes holes and gaps (sounds so scary! Lol) do you mean normal wear and tear that comes with manipulation of the hair? I'm very intrigued by your post! I always thought braids were a good protective style as long as you don't get them done too tightly. Please tell me more lol

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
Let's just ask her. She probably knows where it is or can just tell us. @Chicoro

Are you referencing the Deep Moisture Method which is a process you may do prior to washing to coat/seal the hair? Or, are you referencing the process where you layer the hair when styling with a water based, oil based then cream based product?

Also, if hair is porous and greatly damaged, no amount of sealing will save it. It will just prolong the life of the hair until one can gain length and then remove that damaged hair by trimming.