HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

BraunSugar

*sigh* I think I'm gonna head out and get some grease. This had been on my mind for months now. Oil makes my hair crunchy & shea butter just sits on top of my hair making it hard. I was considering mixing some shea butter with grease to see how my hair likes it.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
For me, that greasy feeling is a bit misleading at times. It makes me think my hair is all nice and moisturized but in essence is just flat out greasy. Am I the only one that has felt that way? Since I don't use much oil these days, I'm able to tell the truth condition of my hair - moisturized vs. greasy - and not be mislead by the slick feeling of grease.

Bublin

*sigh* I think I'm gonna head out and get some grease. This had been on my mind for months now. Oil makes my hair crunchy & shea butter just sits on top of my hair making it hard. I was considering mixing some shea butter with grease to see how my hair likes it.

Go buy some! It's very inexpensive so you have nothing but a few dollars to lose. :grin:

Bublin

For me, that greasy feeling is a bit misleading at times. It makes me think my hair is all nice and moisturized but in essence is just flat out greasy. Am I the only one that has felt that way? Since I don't use much oil these days, I'm able to tell the truth condition of my hair - moisturized vs. greasy - and not be mislead by the slick feeling of grease.

I know what you are saying but i can tell when my hair is moisturised and sealed from when it is just plain starting to feel greased up.
Just like any other product you put on your hair, when it's time to wash, it's time to wash.

AuNaturalMaMa

Thanks @Bublin. I know when I was relaxed and I used grease improperly it did result in that greasy, weighed down feeling. My hair would just be stuck in one place. I would put loads on my scalp and it would run down and coat my already dry hari. This is different. This week I co-washed/applied leave in/then used a small amount on the length of my hair and la little more on my ends. If you look in my album that wash and go picture is from me using grease. I forgot to post after it dried, but thats what i used with that style, then once it dried I put it in a bun cause I'm scared of wash and goes and ssks!! Eeek

ETA: There are lots of threads about grease for ppl who are wondering, it can have it benefits when used properly, just like any other product.

Bublin

keyawarren

To be honest it depends on the style but waay longer than when i use oils because my hair is brittle by the end of day one after a wash and style.
I say it depends on the style because if i wear a wet bun i restyle it in the morning by spritzing and re-sealing with a little Dax or Castor Oil. I can feel that the hair is still moisturised but i only style on damp hair so it gets another sealing anyway.

If my hair is in cornrows i can feel that my roots in places are starting to feel a tad dry but still feel silky at the end of day 3. I guess that is because they are exposed to the air. I will apply a little Jojoba Oil to my scalp at this point or if i have to re-do a cornrow because of frizzies i will undo, spritz with water, seal and re-braid. But it's just the root that has the slight dryness, the rest of the hair is still perfectly moistirised. I only re-apply leave-ins on wash day.

Bublin

Thanks @Bublin. I know when I was relaxed and I used grease improperly it did result in that greasy, weighed down feeling. My hair would just be stuck in one place. I would put loads on my scalp and it would run down and coat my already dry hari. This is different. This week I co-washed/applied leave in/then used a small amount on the length of my hair and la little more on my ends. If you look in my album that wash and go picture is from me using grease. I forgot to post after it dried, but thats what i used with that style, then once it dried I put it in a bun cause I'm scared of wash and goes and ssks!! Eeek

ETA: There are lots of threads about grease for ppl who are wondering, it can have it benefits when used properly, just like any other product.

I would love to see a pic of your wash and go. i was thinking that using grease for a wash and go would be perfect - lot less frizz - as when i apply it to my wet hair it seems to seperate the curls nicely.

AuNaturalMaMa

I would love to see a pic of your wash and go. i was thinking that using grease for a wash and go would be perfect - lot less frizz - as when i apply it to my wet hair it seems to seperate the curls nicely.

There is a pic in my lhcf album...its turned the wrong way cause I took it with my BB and attached from my phone so I have no idea how to flip it...:look:. It was while it was still wet.

tenderheaded

I never gave up my Blue Magic! Since I live with fans on me all summer, I find that Blue Magic keeps my hair feeling moisturized. I spritzed with distilled water, then Blue Magic on Monday. Today I only did the nape and edges. I'm relaxed but protective styling til Oct. so it works great!

CurlsBazillion

great thread! I am definitely going to start this for the winter months for me and my one year old. I use butters mixed with a little bit of oil on my baby's hair now. I just bought some murray's beeswax (contains petroleum) today for her next braids to see if it can add hold and smooth it out. The beeswax will mainly be for sealing our ends and we will clarify every other week and I doubt we'll have problems.

Bublin

DayDreamist I am using the Dax on my 2 year old's hair and it's great - her is so shiney and moisturised.

tenderheaded - i've yet to try this Blue Magic. I don't think they sell it in the UK but i have seen their leave in products here.

Last edited:

robot.

Second castor oil. :yep: I used to have dry hair, even with a steamer and new moisturizer. One thing I rarely did, especially when my hair was 1-2 inches, was seal. Now that I've started sealing, my dry, crackly crown is no more! :) I've also started ACV rinses after steaming, so I'm sure that helps as well.

It can be hard to differentiate between greasy hair and moisturized hair, though so it's important to learn how moisturized hair looks and feels. My hair is a lot more pliable/stretchy when it's got good moisture. It also frizzes a lot less.

Evolving78

i like heavy sealing, that's why i like heavy, oil based creams. i don't mind greasy, oily hair either since i wash it every 4-5 days.

MilkChocolateOne

Second castor oil. :yep: I used to have dry hair, even with a steamer and new moisturizer. One thing I rarely did, especially when my hair was 1-2 inches, was seal. Now that I've started sealing, my dry, crackly crown is no more! :) I've also started ACV rinses after steaming, so I'm sure that helps as well.

It can be hard to differentiate between greasy hair and moisturized hair, though so it's important to learn how moisturized hair looks and feels. My hair is a lot more pliable/stretchy when it's got good moisture. It also frizzes a lot less.

I don't think it's hard at all. It's very easy to tell the difference between lubricated/slightly oily moisturised hair and greasy/oily dry hair. Dry greasy/oily hair feels exactly like dry greasy/oily hair. It's not pliable, it's not soft, it's usually stiff, dry, brittle and greasy.

nisemac

i once heard a stylist say this. she was lamenting about all the products a lot of 'natural heads' are spending money on--"all most of them really need is some water and grease" was her comment.

its funny how, after the long no-poo/petrolium/mineral oil/sulfate bans, we end up going back to things we know. i have found that, more recently, i have been revisiting products that i used to use when my hair was at its best.

i find i get the best sealin with virgin coconut oil or pure shea butter. while my hair is damp, i emulsify some Giovanni direct leave in then work it thru my hair and immediately apply coconut or shea.

i'm glad you posted this. :)

LilMissRed

Ive found that using vaseline on freshly washed/moisturized hair is GREAT! ! Its done wonders on my hair which can be so thirsty/frustrating :yep: Great topic OP!! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using SAMSUNG-SGH-I897

BraunSugar

I did a flat twist out today & it was feeling a little cripsy so I picked up a jar of Blue Magic today. I redid my twists and put some grease on them. I'll let you guys know how they turn out tomorrow!

BraunSugar

I don't think it's hard at all. It's very easy to tell the difference between lubricated/slightly oily moisturised hair and greasy/oily dry hair. Dry greasy/oily hair feels exactly like dry greasy/oily hair. It's not pliable, it's not soft, it's usually stiff, dry, brittle and greasy.

I completely agree. If hair is dry and greasy then it almost feels like grease on broom straw or grease on steel wool.

Curlykale

This was my secret for 10 years in my texturized days. I used to apply it on very wet hair drenched in leave in and I then used a diffuser every 4 days. Never needed to remoisturize. My hair was soft and touchable 100% of the time, and I wore my hair down everyday. It sort of worked as a styling agent as well, as I applied it on the whole length, and it was 0% greasy once dry.
I had bra strap texturized hair for 14 years.

Hmmm may revisit soon. I did use sulphate shampoos at the time, though. This is what stops me but sometimes I wonder if I'm too paranoid or extreme :lol:

Last edited:

Lissa0821

Curlykale Your post is just the motivation I need to keep going with this method. I use to do this years ago before wrapping your hair was popular. I know it works for keeping my hair moist without making it look or feel flat.

lilyofthenile

I used to not seal and ever since I started sealing my hair has become a lot more manageable. I think your advice is great.

divachyk

Instagram: adaybyjay
Perhaps I'm an anomaly because my hair has been greasy and pliable. Or could it be that it was moisturized but overly oily all the same time. Who knows; that was at the start of my HHJ. I don't struggle in this area any more because I know now how to apply the right amount of product, especially oil.