HEAVY SEALING - RESCUE YOUR DRY HAIR!

Rainbow Dash

I washed, dc with heat, sealed with castor oil and stretched my hair by banding it until it damp to dry, took it down, and did 12 braids for a braid out.

I took my braids down and my hair is so moisturized. My hair curls are defined, moist, and hardly any frizz.

Sealing with Castor oil is the bomb for my 4a/b natural hair.

Thanks for starting this thread.

BraunSugar

So I took down my twists today. My hair was shiny, soft, and there was very little grease residue. I was pleasantly surprised! It looks like I may continue to do this!!! :)

Quick question: Are you ladies shampooing with sulfate or sulfate free shampoo? Is sulfate free enough to remove petrolatum from the hair? TIA!

pookaloo83

Ok, so I'm gonna pick up some blue magic tomorrow. My thing is I love braidouts and twistouts, BUT when I go outside it poofs into and afro. Will this help block out humidity?
I'm a 4b.

tenderheaded

Pookaloo, my hair sucks up grease! With humidity levels in the south at all time highs, I can't predict what will happen. But, Blue Magic is so cheap it's worth a try!!!

choconillaprincess

In a word yes, my hair is a little greasy but more importantly for me it is moisturised and smooth. I'd rather that than have dry breaking off hair.

As i am really going hard with the protective styling having 'greasy' hair on my face or neck is not an issue or a problem. I do not have hard hair at all, its soft and bouncy since using this method.

What is your hair type? Your hair looks like a 3b or c in your pic so i would imagine using a pomade would feel 'really' greasy. There are so many pomade/greases to choose from so maybe try a different one or it may not be for you.

i cannot wear protective styles... never worked out for me which super sucks... especially now that my hair is neck length because i did my 2nd bc... ugh i really want to find a good sealing method to help retain more length so i can be back at my pre-bc length!

my hair type is 3c so maybe regular grease is just to heavy... but oil seems to just evaporate into thin air... do you (or anyone else) no of any lightweight grease? i'd like to give this method a go

winona

Thanks winona. I'm still a little nervous about the wax but I definitely want to give this a try. I probably used too much wax in the last thing I mixed up.

faithVA yeah you dont need much wax. This comes out very creamy in texture (got to keep stiring) as it cools I just stir so more:) I will take a pic of what I have and post it later (I am under the steamer now)

silenttullip

Good question, if you're doing it with castor oil or a butter I'd say sulfate free should be fine... Me personally when I use the Dax (petrolatum & mineral oil)... I'd either use a clarifying sulfate free poo or a gentle suflate poo. I don't think a gentle sulfate free would remove it, mainly because of the ingredients in the shampoo dax makes to remove the grease/pomade... If it didn't need something kinda tough to remove it they'd probably cash in and make a sulfate free shampoo too but I may be wrong. I don't remember the book saying which chicoro used but I'm going to test and use a gentle sulfate free shampoo next wash day and see.

So I took down my twists today. My hair was shiny, soft, and there was very little grease residue. I was pleasantly surprised! It looks like I may continue to do this!!! :)

Quick question: Are you ladies shampooing with sulfate or sulfate free shampoo? Is sulfate free enough to remove petrolatum from the hair?
TIA!

silenttullip

I think "maybe' oyin's burnt sugar pomade would do the trick. Some people don't like the sugary smell and I think I'm allergic to it BUT it's very light and not technically a grease but acts as one... Also if castor oil evaporates into thin air maybe mixing your oil with a butter would work... Like taking a little evoo and mixing it with shea butter? Idk but it may be worth a try.

i cannot wear protective styles... never worked out for me which super sucks... especially now that my hair is neck length because i did my 2nd bc... ugh i really want to find a good sealing method to help retain more length so i can be back at my pre-bc length!

my hair type is 3c so maybe regular grease is just to heavy... but oil seems to just evaporate into thin air... do you (or anyone else) no of any lightweight grease? i'd like to give this method a go

AimWard

Unrefined shea butter is my first love, but I can't front on that jar of cocoa butter Vaseline. Ingredients: Petroleum jelly, cocoa butter and fragrance.

Last edited:

Blessedwithabundance14

I tried using Dax and it worked so well. My hair is soft, moist, and shiny. It usually gets pooch really fast and soaks up moisture so fast , so this really helps!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Myjourney2009

Ready to be APL
I tried this when SF mentioned she sealed with grease when she did her braidouts. I tried it and my hair was like:

[URL=http://www.gifsoup.com/view/1965028/get-yo-hands-off-me.html][IMG]http://www.gifsoup.com/imager.php?id=1965028&t=o[/URL] GIFSoup[/IMG]

I really wanted to like it too but alas I had to move on

rririla

[USER][/USER]

Try Tropic Isle Jamaican black Castor oil hair food....I think thats the name of it...my friend had some and I tried it out today!!!! LOVE IT.... and it has no petrolatum, I have 3b/c hair as well, I believe it only has castor oil, plant wax(whatever that is, thought it was beeswax...lol) grapeseed oil, aloe vera, and maybe coconut oil....I read the back quickly, but I am going to purchase this first thing in the morning...she swears by it, and I have had it in my hair all day and its still soft and moisturized without feeling weighed down....hope this helps

Tropic Isle Living's Hair Food is formulated with Jamaican Black Castor Oil and natural plant wax. It's fortified with cactus oil, shea butter, grape seed, aloe vera and other natural hair friendly ingredients. Jamaican Black Castor Oil Hair Food helps your hair grow thicker, longer and fuller. It moisturizes, adds sheen and get rid of dry frizzy hair. Use daily in your hair care regiment.

^^^^^this is from Amazons website....:grin:

Last edited:

londontresses

Yep sometimes you just have to do what works. I have about 15 different oil but since going natural nothing makes my natural shine like grease! I also use it on damp hair and wash my hair regularly so I'm very comfortable using it. Great thread.

An_gell

Grease is a very good sealer, I have been using it for months to seal in moisture right after a cowash. It helps me with the frizzies and my hair looks so smoothe and shiny the next day. I have been going back and forth with nature's Blessing and blue magic coconut grease. I don't really apply to every little section of my hair I just apply it to my ends and I also divide my hair into 4 ponytails when washing and just apply it those sections to seal in moisture. It works best for me in this way, and if you do try it I highly recommend using shampoo more, because I do get build up from the BM and I think the petroleum did effect my hair over time. I think in the future I may go back to my unpetroleum jelly which is a very good alternate and is heavy like grease, but doesn't contain petroleum.

Krystle~Hime

Grease is a very good sealer, I have been using it for months to seal in moisture right after a cowash. It helps me with the frizzies and my hair looks so smoothe and shiny the next day. I have been going back and forth with nature's Blessing and blue magic coconut grease. I don't really apply to every little section of my hair I just apply it to my ends and I also divide my hair into 4 ponytails when washing and just apply it those sections to seal in moisture. It works best for me in this way, and if you do try it I highly recommend using shampoo more, because I do get build up from the BM and I think the petroleum did effect my hair over time. I think in the future I may go back to my unpetroleum jelly which is a very good alternate and is heavy like grease, but doesn't contain petroleum.

An_gell
what's your's ???

Krystle~Hime

winonaand you An_gell makes me want to my own.
i've bought castor oil and natural wax i'm gonna do a 70:30 ratio. and use it for all august ^^ and i'm sure it will last me for more than a month ! :yep:

winona

unjelly with jbco and beeswax

Curlykale

I don't understand why, but beeswax in products encourages my hair to dread close to the scalp (not immediately but on the third day...nothing scary, it just makes my detangling session long, which is something that never happens otherwise). I tried many times. I SO wished it worked, because it was so good for flyaways. sigh.

by the way, I had a look at the grease I used for 10 years, wondering why it worked in humidity, and it had dimethicone (maybe it was a factor?). I had a look at a website with popular greases and some have silicones, some don't.

Last edited:

winona

I don't understand why, but beeswax in products encourages my hair to dread close to the scalp (not immediately but on the third day...nothing scary, it just makes my detangling session long, which is something that never happens otherwise). I tried many times. I SO wished it worked, because it was so good for flyaways. sigh.

by the way, I had a look at the grease I used for 10 years, wondering why it worked in humidity, and it had dimethicone (maybe it was a factor?). I had a look at a website with popular greases and some have silicones, some don't.

Do u get the same results(dreading) with jojoba esters?

Curlykale

Do u get the same results(dreading) with jojoba esters?

jojoba esters? :bookworm:
I just googled them: sounds really good to me :afro: , my hair likes hydrogenated stuff... I need to try them! thank you!

(Winona I'm going to buy ALL your past, present and future concoctions :look:)

Last edited:

davisbr88

Any daily cowashers doing this? I would like a heavy sealant to also work as a styler, and I am all for using some vaseline or something of that sort.
If no one else has done this, I'll be guinea pig for the next couple of weeks. I cowash daily and shampoo once a month.

I am going to use the Cocoa Butter-scented vaseline I got from the dollar store (doesn't have any actual cocoa butter in it... :ohwell:)

Last edited:

Jewell

I have been using Castor Oil grease (Black Thang Shea Butter and Castor Oil pomade), and various other greases like Blue Magic (original blue formula), Allways Super Lite Indian Hemp, etc...and it does work very well for keeping the moisture in my hair, esp. on the ends! Works wonders on DD's tightly coiled and dry 4a/b hair.

Grease does give a great shine, and I haven't seen such shine unless using serums or coconut oil. My hair definitely sucks up the lighter oils, but not the grease! I used to use Royal Crown (green and red tin), and Dax. I didn't realize Dax had such good ingredients behind the petroleum! Will be getting a jar next week! :yep: Thanks Bublin for the great thread!

Sometimes I notice coconut oil makes my hair feel hard and dry if I apply it to damp hair and let it airdry. I've used other oils like avocado, grapeseed, and sesame instead, and they seem to do well. Or, I'll use those oils OVER the coconut oil to combat that hard feeling. I've used grease for many, many years and it has never failed me or had an adverse effect on my hair or scalp. No issues with slow growth due to this "clogging of the pores" people associate with grease. Not a problem here!

I find sealing my ends with grease after a wash keeps my ends and hair moisturized ALL WEEK without adding additional product. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :drunk:

Last edited:

NinasLongAmbition

Oh my gosh!!!!!! Do you know how much money I WASTED these past 18 months being a new natural with trying find products that give my coarse thick 4A/4B hair shine, softness and moisture. Last night I deep conditioned with ORS pack and mixed some Aphogee 2 min reconstructor left it on my hair for an hour and rinsed it out and cowashed with Aussie moist. Mind you I cowash every other day and my hair has moisture but it doesn't stay locked in it always looks dull and its super coarse. Anyway after I cowashed last night I applied shea moisture's curl milk and sealed with vaseline and braided my hair and went to bed. This morning I woke up to the MOST MOISTURIZED and SHINY hair. I LOVE HEAVY SEALING!!!!!! I AM NOT SPENDING NO MORE MONEY ON PRODUCTS ! MY REGGIE IS COMPLETE!!! THANKS OP!

winona

jojoba esters? :bookworm:
I just googled them: sounds really good to me :afro: , my hair likes hydrogenated stuff... I need to try them! thank you!

(Winona I'm going to buy ALL your past, present and future concoctions :look:)

Girl you are silly:) Yeah I noticed with my momma that her hair doesnt really like waxes but the jojoba ester(i think 70 but I dont have the formula up here; the hardest one) acted very similar to beeswax as far a sealing. Her hair was very soft and moisturized for days. Get a very small amount to try because you dont need much (1/2oz is only a tablespoon). I think you would like it:)

faithVA

I found an unused jar of Africa's Best Super Gro under my moms sink. I shampooed, conditioned, applied a leave-in and put the Africa's Best on my ends. Haven't done this before so hoping to see good results.

It will be good to see the difference between the hair with just leave-in and the ends with the grease.

When you guys seal, are you sealing the entire strand or just the last 2"?

Thanks