Have you become the De Facto hair expert in your family?

Ozma

I sure have, and it happened all of a sudden. Now my brother cares about his hair and is using products I recommend. He wants to grow his hair out to look like Gary Dourdain's. He knows all the lingo and he's actually doing a great job with his hhj.

My aunt, who used to have WL hair is asking me to write down MY REGIMEN for her.:spinning: That's crazy, but she's impressed with my growth and my hair care, so I will help her in any way I can.

So have you become the "go to" hair care guru in your family?

Junebug D

Not quite yet. They'll ask me something and I'll start to tell them and they have 50-11 excuses as to why they can't... :rolleyes: Heck, they were part of the reason why I relaxed in the first place, because they attributed all my sucess up to that point to being natural and then said they couldn't go natural because I had "good hair" despite the very same people telling me that I had the worst hair all my life.... :rolleyes: (No, I'm not bitter. :giggle:) But I'll just keep growing and giving advice when asked. Hopefully I'll get SOMEBODY to follow suit eventually. :look:

davisbr88

Maybe not in my extended family, but my mom has begun consulting me before doing anything new to her hair. She's started wearing protective styles and using much less heat (she used to curl everyday) because of my advice, and her hair is growing in nicely where she had bald spots on her edges, and her hair is a lot thicker now. I still can't convince her to wash her own hair, but I am definitely sharing everything I've been learning with her.

MsLizziA

Yes i have. Any questions they have about hair, they do not hesitate to call me or just ask me. Now do the question is do they actually take the advice... some do some dont but i will give it to them regardless

SingBrina

I sure have, and it happened all of a sudden. Now my brother cares about his hair and is using products I recommend. He wants to grow his hair out to look like Gary Dourdain's. He knows all the lingo and he's actually doing a great job with his hhj.

My aunt, who used to have WL hair is asking me to write down MY REGIMEN for her.:spinning: That's crazy, but she's impressed with my growth and my hair care, so I will help her in any way I can.

So have you become the "go to" hair care guru in your family?

Girl I was just talking about this today!!! I have been! I am the hair go to person at work, church, home and on the streets!!!! Lol, I love to help others out and make them feel good about themselves. I am not the top to have "hair secrets" I share them but some people are used to old regimens or just dont have the money to go with my regimen. However they have implemented a lot of my advice. Like dont wash only once a month, lol. And others, well they went out and bought everything I use in a day! Lol!

Yoshi3329

Most of my family doesn't really want my advice, they do their own thing. However, they know I know the most about hair. Whenever I use a product, my mom watches me carefully and asks me a question or two. Then rolls her eyes and keeps it moving. They don't take me seriously because I don't have much length, but I will soon.

However, its become somewhat easier to talk to my mom about hair. She told me I didn't know anything about hair. Now, she's slowly starting to listen to me about leave-ins and deep conditioners and what not.

UrbainChic

Yes i have. Any questions they have about hair, they do not hesitate to call me or just ask me. Now do the question is do they actually take the advice... some do some dont but i will give it to them regardless

Same here. They all ask for advice all the time, they will call or sit down for a whole lesson, but they don't always listen. :whyme:

My little cousin in particular listens and her hair looks awesome. She is also much more patient than i could ever be about hair (she undoes single strand knots with a pin) so I learn from her too, about being patient and putting in some work!

I try to steer my relatives to this board all the time, but I don't know if they come on here when I'm not sitting with them at the computer.

pattyr5

Well, I was always thought of as being "into my hair" but I do notice now that people ask specific questions about products. I have really thick hair, and I think some just thought it was genetics but now are coming to understand that I actually work at taking care of my hair. My only hair tragedies ever have come at the hands of so-called trained professionals, so it appears to others that I am better at it than the experts.

hillytmj

Yes, I've kinda become the de facto expert too. I kinda like it though because it gives me an opportunity to promote LHCF and healthy hair care practices.

Miss_C

My little cousin in particular listens and her hair looks awesome. She is also much more patient than i could ever be about hair (she undoes single strand knots with a pin) so I learn from her too, about being patient and putting in some work!

WOWZA @ the bolded! That is crazy zen master patience lol. She teach tai chi or something?

KurlyNinja

I don't really get asked for advice about hair but that makes sense because my hair isn't that long and I'm transitioning so I look a hot mess a lot of the times. :look: I guess they assume I'm not doing anything to my hair. That is until they finally see my hair cabinet :rolleyes: Thats when the million and one questions start to roll in. "What is this for?" "Skala? Is that for black hair?" "You have a jherri curl? Then why do you use activator?" :blah::blah: My mom didn't start asking more questions until I told her about henna and was ecstatic that it covered all her grey hair. :lachen: I try to tell people what the stuff is for and how I use it but the usually give the :perplexed face before I can finish and thats when I usually stop. So I don't know if anybody is actually taking this advice, but if they ask I atleast try to tell.

lamaria211

same thing with me i think people come into my home and see all of my products they all think im a beautician and in a way i am!