HAVE YOUR LEARNED ANYTHING FROM FAMILY MEMEBERS?

RegaLady

Since we learn ALOT, from this site, I was wondering have we learned anything from family members as well. Whether good or bad, do's or don'ts! Did any of your family members contribute anything to your hair care? I have my list:
My mother: wash everyday, and wear a protective style. Hers is a wig!
SO: Don't relax. Even though I have broken his advice a thousand times over.:rolleyes:

My mother, apl, wrap hair in a scarf everynight & wear protective styling.
My aunt,mbl, told me to use conditioner to wash my hair.

No I haven't. I've always had the longest hair on my mother's side of the family so I've never taken any of their advice. Everything I've learned I've learned from boards like these. When I was a child my mother just washed my hair once a week greased it and plaited it. Then I started pressing it from age 11. My hair was always shoulder length until a few years ago until I learned about how to take care of my hair better.

In my family - I have learned...things like what not to do to your hair.
-Like the constant curling irons, texturizers and relaxers and coloring that they would do to their own heads.

They often would say to me, "Never color your hair (I have a white haired birthmark) and your hair is just so thick- keep it that way" :drunk:

That was the advice given to me and whether they know it not they are part of the reason I strive for health and long flowing hair.

I've never been big on coloring/curling irons. I have the longest hair with my 2 sisters following behind me. on both mom and dad's side.

One cousin on my mom's side used to have APL but then cut it due to damage.

I've learned alot thru the forums and then trial and error of just wanting healthy longer hair. :yep:

Mom: To love my natural texture...she cried when I relaxed my hair at 14 and during my transition back to natural, she would send me emails with hair how tos...

SO: Wearing micros ALL the time=no edges at all:lachen:
To this day, if I even look at micros (which I absolutely love) he goes...if you like being edgeless (he stays creating his own words:lachen:), then get em.

I've learned loads thank God from my mum. Her hair was MBL-WL when she was younger, she kept it short for the last few years, but is now growing it long agian. She always used to tell me:

Don't comb your hair much,
Don't use more than 1 product on the hair at a time
Don't play in your hair
Just leave it alone!
Scrub the scalp REAL good when you wash

My cousin (BSL-MBL) tells me she's a fervent believer in getting regular trims to enhance the hair's health

Mom: To love my natural texture...she cried when I relaxed my hair at 14 and during my transition back to natural, she would send me emails with hair how tos...

SO: Wearing micros ALL the time=no edges at all:lachen:
To this day, if I even look at micros (which I absolutely love) he goes...if you like being edgeless (he stays creating his own words:lachen:), then get em.

SO's they are the greatest!!!:lachen:My SO says the same thing, to me. We had to struggle because I wanted to get a weave. Then he would say, "But, you won't have any more hair on the sides.":lachen: Although he is a man, damn is he right! But, SO's see the bad that we do, and they will tell it!:lachen:

The best hair I ever had was when I was a little girl. My natural hair was nice and thick, always worn in two or three braids (two in the back and one on the front side). My mother unbraided my hair so I could wear it loose (a "braid out") to church each Sunday. My hair was pretty much left alone during the week. These are my best hair memories and I was "taught" in this indirect way. This is what I've been relearning during this hair journey. :)

Sadly my family had and for the most part still does not have healthy hair practices. :ohwell: Thus I learned what not to do:

Don't:

Rake a comb through dry hair

Go 3 weeks or more between washes

Cover the SCALP in grease

Coat the hair in Pink Oil Moisturizer

Make unkind remarks about a person's natural texture

Not tie up hair at night

Relax every 4 weeks

Press, flat iron, AND curl hair with a curling iron in the same setting

Run relaxers through to the ends

Undermine someone transitioning to natural emotionally/psychologically

Brush hair viciously with cheap brushes

Not use leave-ins

Not Deep condition

Use too much pomade

Color your hair using box dyes, then sit in the sun with a shower cap on to make it "take" better

Leave in relaxers til they burn you horribly to make sure it "takes"

Color your hair too often

Not use protein

Over use protein

Have hair braided too tightly

Keep going to scissor happy stylists

Sadly my family had and for the most part still does not have healthy hair practices. :ohwell: Thus I learned what not to do:

Don't:

Rake a comb through dry hair

Go 3 weeks or more between washes

Cover the SCALP in grease

Coat the hair in Pink Oil Moisturizer

Make unkind remarks about a person's natural texture

Not tie up hair at night

Relax every 4 weeks

Press, flat iron, AND curl hair with a curling iron in the same setting

Run relaxers through to the ends

Undermine someone transitioning to natural emotionally/psychologically

Brush hair viciously with cheap brushes

Not use leave-ins

Not Deep condition

Use too much pomade

Color your hair using box dyes, then sit in the sun with a shower cap on to make it "take" better

Leave in relaxers til they burn you horribly to make sure it "takes"

Color your hair too often

Not use protein

Over use protein

Have hair braided too tightly

Keep going to scissor happy stylists

ita...with the bolded and not to mention...get all up in my head! taking care of hair uh uh!!!! my fam n i r all on different pages!

Back