Are you considered the family hair expert?

Kitkat

When I visited my family for Christmas, I was dubbed the unofficial hair expert. One sister asked for advice on what to do with my nieces' heads. My niece and her two sisters all had thick natural shoulder length hair, and now only one of them does. Since they started caring for their hair, both had terrible breakage from kiddie perms. And when a cousin of ours came over complaining of hair problems, my other sister told her to speak to the hair expert - me! I was very flattered. Granted, I haven't achieved my goal length as yet /images/graemlins/mad.gif, but my hair looks waaaay better than it did one year ago. It definitely made me feel that I'm doing the right things and that people see me as a decent information source about hair.

I suggested to my sister that she take my nieces to the hairdresser, get a good trim which they badly needed, and perhaps braid their hair to give it a rest. I also suggested ORS Carrot Oil (my favorite) and that she avoid using products with mineral oil. My sister used to put kiddie perms in her daughters' heads, but now gets their hair pressed because she's trying to reverse the damage. It pained me to see their hair. One niece in particular, when she was younger I used to put her hair in all sorts of cutesy styles because she had so much of it. Now she can barely put her hair in a ponytail. Boy, does that road sound familiar. I don't want them to go through the same hair travails that I did.

What about you guys?

Miss Montserrat

ABSOLUTELY! I have been dubbed the family expert since I was little chasing my baby sister around trying to braid her hair. I wash and set all of my sisters' hair (3 in the US), braid my neices', nephews and brothers hair, wash and set my aunt and cousins hair, trim my fathers hair, beard and mustache and supply everyone with hair care products. Girllll... watch out. They start to take advantage /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

adrienne0914

girl, yes!! everyone wants to ask my advice, but because i don't name some miracle product and actually tell them to take care of their hair, they rarely take it...

adrienne

pebbles

Oh yes, now I am! /images/graemlins/grin.gif The incredible turnaround of my hair has made people feel that I know a thing or two about hair. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Monicurl

Not just the family, but my extended office family /images/graemlins/shocked.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I've brought in more hair products, printed out more routines than I can count in the last 2 years. I've got 2 ladies considering the natural route, turned 3 others onto the no shampoo method and have one on the no oil routine. One who I had not seen in a while since she is an offsite staff member, came in last month after having used the curly girl/no shampoo routine this last year and her hair looked so good I was actually jealous! Before, she had the most fried, straw looking blonde hair you ever saw. She didn't even know she had the curls she has now.
I've started one guys locs (surfer dude white guy) and help with flat twists in another girls hair.
What's kind of funny is the non-black members of my office are wearing so called "ethnic" hair styles moreso than I am. It's almost like instead of them having to get used to my hair, they've switched their hair to match mine! /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Allandra

Yes, I seem to be the family hair care expert. I love sharing hair care tips with my family, friends, co-workers and most of all - the wonderful folks on the hair care websites. /images/graemlins/smile.gif

Madison

most definitely /images/graemlins/cool.gif
at first they were sick of me talking about the hair care sites and the wealth of info that was on them. now they are all calling asking for advice. ive turned them all into vitamin popping s curl moisturizer wearing junkies /images/graemlins/grin.gif

sweetcocoa

A big yes! Especially the ones whom I mixed up my pomade for(that includes my 21 year old nephew in the Army). I shampoo and set my neice's hair. I'm teaching her to do it herself and to stay away from the blowdryer.

UmSumayyah

bumpers!

Any updates? How are all the people you've helped doing?
Adrienne, I can't believe people aren't taking YOUR advice!
Anyone come around?

adrienne0914

my nieces half-heartedly take it. like they'll use curl activator on their braids, but won't wash them for three months...

Faith

I am! But they take what they want from my advice..which is all right. None of my business.
The ask about color for braids, styles, shampoos, conditioners, etc. I should start charging...

Edited to say: I have been giving advice to people at wotk as well...they listen better than my family...hmmmm