Hairstyles in The Movie 'This Christmas'

Alpha Female

I went to see this with the fam over the holidays. I noted how all the sister siblings were swangin' their long, straight or long, curled relaxed hairstyles (looked like all weaves, but who can be sure these days)?! Anyway, the only 'natural' hairstyle was on one of the kids (the pre-teen girl), and she looked like she could have been mixed-race in real, and thus, the naturally curly, 'nice'-textured hair.

Then I started thinking back on other black movies - Guess Who (on TV this past weekend), Why Did I Get Married?, etc., and the long, straight or long, curled relaxed hairstyles that dominated those movies. It can be difficult to find some sisters with great-looking natural hairstyles (afros, braids, etc.) in the movies or on TV. Now I'm not talking about entertainers, musicians, or actresses who may have natural hairstyles in real life. I'm talking about the portrayal of black women on TV and in the movies. A recent Essence article said more black women are going natural, and that even of the ones currently relaxed, many of those plan to transition as well. So if being natural is growing and becoming more a foundational way of life for black women vs. just a passing fad, why are the TV and movie industries still dominated with images of women with straight or curled, relaxed looks? Why is the media slow to catch on to a different, more natural version of black beauty? Do you think the perception is still as strong as ever that straight or curled, relaxed looks are closer to the 'white standard of beauty' so must be the 'right standard of beauty?' Just something I was pondering...

Soliel185

I noticed that I've seen alot more naturals lately in commercials (walmart has several - Lowes, Pantene and a few others ) and in music videos (Tambourine, & You Know what it Is ) So I think there is a higher profile. However, it seems that even IRL other AA are the most resistant to the idea of a woman sporting her natural hair. The only ones in our movies that do are the women that we aren't supposed to consider sexually attractive - i.e the little sisters/cousins, and the Big Momma or older auntie. :nono:. I've seen more natural hair in more mainsteam flicks than I have in anything produced by another AA. I think that until WE see a natural as the lead and as a sex symbol alot of young women are going to be hesitant to transition due to the somewhat negative connotations that can be attached to it by our own people.

BeautifulFlower

I dont think they are slow. Hollywood is all about image. Now why media finds it unique to have big afros and big curly hair, it isnt whats considered "Hollywood Glam". Until whats considered beautiful by the majority (white, asian, hispanics) changes, we will continue to see straight hair.

And I really don think that the women on hair that into consideration that white, asian, and hispanic straighten their hair just as we do. They have curly hair too. Maybe not as curly but it aint straight all the time.

I went to see this with the fam over the holidays. I noted how all the sister siblings were swangin' their long, straight or long, curled relaxed hairstyles (looked like all weaves, but who can be sure these days)?! Anyway, the only 'natural' hairstyle was on one of the kids (the pre-teen girl), and she looked like she could have been mixed-race in real, and thus, the naturally curly, 'nice'-textured hair.

Then I started thinking back on other black movies - Guess Who (on TV this past weekend), Why Did I Get Married?, etc., and the long, straight or long, curled relaxed hairstyles that dominated those movies. It can be difficult to find some sisters with great-looking natural hairstyles (afros, braids, etc.) in the movies or on TV. Now I'm not talking about entertainers, musicians, or actresses who may have natural hairstyles in real life. I'm talking about the portrayal of black women on TV and in the movies. A recent Essence article said more black women are going natural, and that even of the ones currently relaxed, many of those plan to transition as well. So if being natural is growing and becoming more a foundational way of life for black women vs. just a passing fad, why are the TV and movie industries still dominated with images of women with straight or curled, relaxed looks? Why is the media slow to catch on to a different, more natural version of black beauty? Do you think the perception is still as strong as ever that straight or curled, relaxed looks are closer to the 'white standard of beauty' so must be the 'right standard of beauty?' Just something I was pondering...

Princess Pie

I see lots of naturals in the media (especially commercials). Even when someone has straight hair I don't always assume they're relaxed. I think a lot of black women are natural or transitioning, but the majority are still relaxed (at least in my part of the country). Either way, I'm always happy to see black women (if portrayed positively) in the media, no matter whether relaxed or natural. :)

CurliDiva

I consider this an "egg/chicken" situation - which comes first!

"Us" as black people embracing our natual texture or "Others" embracing our natural hair texture!

The fact is the majority of casting agents for major movies are WHITE.

If they put a call for a "pretty/glamourous" girlfriend type and 98% of the black actress that show up has relaxed or straight hair or weaves then they will assume that this is what "we" as black people think is beautiful.:rolleyes:

myco

I noticed that I've seen alot more naturals lately in commercials (walmart has several - Lowes, Pantene and a few others ) and in music videos (Tambourine, & You Know what it Is ) So I think there is a higher profile. However, it seems that even IRL other AA are the most resistant to the idea of a woman sporting her natural hair. The only ones in our movies that do are the women that we aren't supposed to consider sexually attractive - i.e the little sisters/cousins, and the Big Momma or older auntie. :nono:. I've seen more natural hair in more mainsteam flicks than I have in anything produced by another AA. I think that until WE see a natural as the lead and as a sex symbol alot of young women are going to be hesitant to transition due to the somewhat negative connotations that can be attached to it by our own people.

I agree. I tend to see more naturals in commercials than I do relaxed. It's hard to get a good read on what is more popular because our appearances are so sporadic. But in the films that have a dominant AA cast, I do see more relaxed actresses. When there is just one AA actress in a cast, she is more likely to sport a twist out, afro, or braids. But she is also more likely to have a "sista-girl" personality - if that makes sense. She's much more in your face, tell it like it is, bohemian, etc. So it seems like a double edged sword.