Grow Hair Long Without Protective Hairstyles

Ipanema

Does anybody think it's possible to grow black hair long without wearing protective hairstyles? In the past, I've been able to grow my hair to bra-strap length (with covered ponytails, wigs, & braids), but have always messed it up with chemicals & heat. Now I am natural & I want long hair again, but I am bored with protective hairstyles. Am I just shooting myself in the foot, or is it possible to grow hair long while wearing it loose most of the time?

CurlyCrly

To each his own. :)
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
Ipanema said:
Does anybody think it's possible to grow black hair long without wearing protective hairstyles? In the past, I've been able to grow my hair to bra-strap length (with covered ponytails, wigs, &amp; braids), but have always messed it up with chemicals &amp; heat. Now I am natural &amp; I want long hair again, but I am bored with protective hairstyles. Am I just shooting myself in the foot, or is it possible to grow hair long while wearing it loose most of the time?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I've grown my relaxed hair to past bra-strap length and I never wore it in protective styles. I don't think it would have been possible for me to grow my natural hair long without wearing it in protective styles most of the time.

NAY007

since you used the term "black hair" i would like to say that all black hair is not the same. a routine that works for a 3c might not work for a 4b, so i think you should just go ahead and try different styles and just see how it works for your hair. after a while you will figure it out and take it from there.
i can only speak for myself when i say that i don't think my hair would be as healthy as it is right now if i wore it down a whole lot and used a lot of heat on it. i just prefer the protective styles and every now and then wearing my hair down. but that's just me

nay

kking7777

I have always wanted to know the same thing. Since this board though, I see that the only way to have long healthy hair is to make a small sacrifice and wear your hair up. I think I take better care of my hair when I wear it up and rinse it or conditioner wash daily. When I wear it down, I tend to slack because I am trying to preserve the style.

EmeraldSky

<font color="purple"> Wearing protective styles can be very beneficial to the hair in my opinion and allow it to grow very long and healthy, though I wear my hair down most of the time in spring/summer, I'm about a 4a. I have grown my hair to almost bra strap length. In the winter I wear protective styles because I don't want my hair breaking off because of contact with my coat or sweaters and the harsh cold weather dries out my hair. Regardless of how I wear my hair I make sure I keep my ends moisturized and I wrap my hair at night, also during the summer I alternate during the week sometimes wearing my hair up or in styles that don't require a lot of handling. Why not try wearing protective styles for a week or so and wearing it down the next and see if you experience a great difference in breakage/dryness? Everyones hair is different so you may have to try out both and see if there is a drastic difference for you.
I hope this helps
</font>

G

I dont use heat one my hair. but i always wear my hair out and about. My hair seems to grow very fast and right now is a brastrap length thick and healthy and I dont use protective styles.

Paris Belle

I have a hard time doing protective styles, because I'm always rushing to class most mornings so I often wear a pony tail or a single braid. This is really my weakness.

Are pony tails really a protective style?

Unfortunately I wear my hair out a lot, not every day, but I don't wear buns or french rolls as often as I should. I always try to moisturize my ends a lot though during the day when I wear it out.

My hair has grown and is only a few inches from bra strap, however, my hair would probably be better (as far as dryness and splits) if I did wear it up more.

I also tend to wear my hair down in a ponytail when I'm home.
But I do put it up and wrap it at night.

skegeesmb

I am proof that you can wear your hair without protective styles and it can grow. I got my hair closely cropped cut (think Halle Berry). I couldn't wear protective styles because my hair was too short to do anything with it. My hair is now 1/2 inch past shoulderlength.

Now the only protective style I used to wear was the ponytail with the ends covered to look like a bun. I like the way that style looked. But other than that I don't do protective styles for the sole reason for protecting my hair.

hairfanatic

Does anybody think it's possible to grow black hair long without wearing protective hairstyles?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi Ipanema

Yes they can. When I was relaxed my beautician grew my hair almost to my waist. He use to part my hair on the side and have my hair flipped on one side to the ear and flipped on the other side to the ear and the back would be curled under.

I have also seen plenty ladies grow their hair with the wrap style because it is low maintenance.

ngaa

skegeesmb said:
I am proof that you can wear your hair without protective styles and it can grow. I got my hair closely cropped cut (think Halle Berry). I couldn't wear protective styles because my hair was too short to do anything with it. My hair is now 1/2 inch past shoulderlength.

[/ QUOTE ]

hey
how long did it take u to grow yo hair from the halle cu to shoulder length?? were u on vits?? what was yo regiment?? sorry 4 bein so nosy