Perception of Natural Hairstyles in a 'Corporate' Work Environment...

Alpha Female

I'm 9 weeks into my first stretch in transitioning from relaxed to natural hair, so really just beginning the process, with no intentions of doing the 'big chop' (God willing)! I think it will be healthier for my hair in the long run so I'm committed to it. What I'm beginning to struggle with though is finding hairstyles (besides bunning!) that minimize manipulation and incorporate/hide all the new growth while still looking good in a 'corporate' (i.e. predominantly white) work environment. It got me to thinking and looking around my organization (a major oil company located in downtown Houston).

People say 'You have lots of versatility with natural hair - wear micro braids, cornrows, bantu knots, afros, etc.,' but what I've noticed is that few black women wear those type natural hairstyles in my company, and NO black women in higher Management positions wear them - those women all have relaxed hair. It really makes you wonder why that is. Have they been promoted because they have straighter, relaxed, more 'accepted' hair? Or was it a personal choice because they felt relaxed hair was necessary to get promoted in the company? Is wearing natural hairstyles a deterrent in moving up in a traditionally white-dominated work environment? Is there a perception that this type of hair is more 'ghetto?'

It hasn't gone unnoticed by me that when I come back with roller set-curls or a flat iron after being in what I thought were nice cornrows the week before, some white people feel motivated to share with me that they 'like my hair better this way vs. the way it was last week.' So what gives ladies - can you wear natural hairstyles and still move up in a white-dominated 'corporate' work environment?

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I'm a stay-at-home-mom so I'm not sure my opinion counts, but it does kind of piss me off that these people feel entitled to comment on your choice of hairstyle, like their opinions are the end-all. The nerve!!! Oh, sorry...

bLackButtaFly

I think things are getting better, but I do think there is some stigma surrounding classified "black" "natural" hairstyles, and their place in the work place. I work in a manhattan law firm, and I often wear twist outs, cornrows, and huge pony puff to work, and I get nothing but compliments from my coworkers and employers. They love it, but I also work in avery casual office where we can wear jeans everyday, and it's not uncommon to see a flannel shirt.:look:

I wouldn't go into an interview w/ very extreme styles(baa etc), or even an important client meeting, but I don't see anything wrong w/ a nice twistout, pony puff as long as it's neat. I don't think many wild styles are approved of in an office environment. I'm proud of my hair, and I would expect as long as it's neat and is within the company policy my hair should not interfere w/ my ability to climb the corporate ladder. IMO

glamazon386

I think things are getting better, but I do think there is some stigma surrounding classified "black" "natural" hairstyles, and their place in the work place. I work in a manhattan law firm, and I often wear twist outs, cornrows, and huge pony puff to work, and I get nothing but compliments from my coworkers and employers. They love it, but I also work in avery casual office where we can wear jeans everyday, and it's not uncommon to see a flannel shirt.:look:

I wouldn't go into an interview w/ very extreme styles(baa etc), or even an important client meeting, but I don't see anything wrong w/ a nice twistout, pony puff as long as it's neat. I don't think many wild styles are approved of in an office environment. I'm proud of my hair, and I would expect as long as it's neat and is within the company policy my hair should not interfere w/ my ability to climb the corporate ladder. IMO

I agree with your whole post. I work in a law firm too that's pretty casual. We can't wear jeans but pretty much anything else goes. And I wear my wash and go most days. Sometimes I wear wigs. I find that the black people are usually the ones that have a problem with our hair. The white people either like it or if they don't, they generally won't comment. There's one other black woman here and she likes my hair but at my last job where the admins were majority black I did not wear my hair out. It was a different environment and I didn't know how they would react. They liked my phony puff but that was as far as I took it. As long as your hair is neat and well groomed it should be okay. I usually wear a wig on an interview.

sunnydaze

I use to work for a prominent consulting firm and many of the managing consultants had naturals. One even had long thin dreds.

Choklatekiss79

bmoreflyygirlQuote:

I agree with your whole post. I work in a law firm too that's pretty casual. We can't wear jeans but pretty much anything else goes. And I wear my wash and go most days. Sometimes I wear wigs. I find that the black people are usually the ones that have a problem with our hair. The white people either like it or if they don't, they generally won't comment. There's one other black woman here and she likes my hair but at my last job where the admins were majority black I did not wear my hair out. It was a different environment and I didn't know how they would react. They liked my phony puff but that was as far as I took it. As long as your hair is neat and well groomed it should be okay. I usually wear a wig on an interview.Today 11:44 AM
Totally agree!

I just BC'd a week ago and I've gotten nothing but compliments and support from my white (and black) co-workers (including my boss and my boss' boss). Many of them were willing to share their admiration for natural AA hair textures and their desire to see more black women sportin' thier natural hair. :yep:

Go figure.

balisi

From my experience, it all depends on your corporate climate. I worked at a major ad agency during my transition and after my BC and very few people commented on my hair. Another black woman went natural around the same time I did and we used to talk hair all the time, but that was about it.

A good friend of mine interviewed for the position of HR manager at a large insurance company with individual two-strand twists in her hair. Her mother warned against it. Homegirl has been the HR manager there for six years and counting.

sareca

In 2005 when I was natural and wearing puffs most of the time, my manager was the first one to comment on how pretty it was. I hate short hair on me and my puff was only about 3 inches long so I really appreciated her support. People think my hair is natural now (it's *so* NOT) and I get at least 2-3 random people/day compliment my hair. I am the only AA in my group of about 30 folks.

Last edited:

glamazon386

bmoreflyygirlQuote:

I agree with your whole post. I work in a law firm too that's pretty casual. We can't wear jeans but pretty much anything else goes. And I wear my wash and go most days. Sometimes I wear wigs. I find that the black people are usually the ones that have a problem with our hair. The white people either like it or if they don't, they generally won't comment. There's one other black woman here and she likes my hair but at my last job where the admins were majority black I did not wear my hair out. It was a different environment and I didn't know how they would react. They liked my phony puff but that was as far as I took it. As long as your hair is neat and well groomed it should be okay. I usually wear a wig on an interview.Today 11:44 AM
Totally agree!

I just BC'd a week ago and I've gotten nothing but compliments and support from my white (and black) co-workers (including my boss and my boss' boss). Many of them were willing to share their admiration for natural AA hair textures and their desire to see more black women sportin' thier natural hair. :yep:

Go figure.

That's great! :up: When I started this new job, I figured hey what the hell I might as well get used to it. They wouldn't have anything to compare it to so they wouldn't be shocked. It feels so much better to be able to wear my own hair out. I had cornrows my first 2 weeks and then after that I pretty much washed and goed. Sometimes I wear phony ponys, buns and wigs but most of the time my hair is out.

Dayjoy

Old School Member
I wonder if the "seeming fact" that it is mostly "us" that have a problem with natural hairstyles is making us feel like corporate America won't accept it.

Syrah

:sigh:

From my experience it all depends on YOU. Neat hair is NEAT hair, regardless if it is relaxed, curly, natural, braided, locked up, twisted, shaved or wavy.

I'm a Management and Strategy Consultant and have been for 3 years. I've worn relaxed and out, ponytailed, cornrows and natural hair to client meetings and presentations (with VP and C-Level executives). Never had a problem from my company (internally) or from my client companies. Because my head is neat. As some folks have mentioned, most of the negative "why don't you relax your hair" and "do you think that's appropriate for the marketplace" comments come from Black people.

The thing to keep in mind, is GLOBALLY there are a lot more sisters in positions of power with beautiful locks and natural hair. But again, it's neat.

My take: People are going to comment on things they don't understand. Ignorance isn't necessary born out of prejudice - some white people just DONT KNOW and so they ask. I'd rather they ask questions so I can CORRECT the ignorance then go around assuming that the ignorant beliefs are true.

Just my $.02.

Alpha Female

I do agree with some of the comments that black people can be just as negative, if not more so, regarding natural hairstyles as white people. And hairstyles should ALWAYS be neat, whether natural, relaxed, texlaxed, etc. Its apparent that the industry and corporate climate you're in plays a factor as well. Few companies / industries are more white-dominated at the top or more traditional, southern, 'ole boy' regarding change & diversity than oil companies in Texas (and I've worked for two of the biggest). Executive managers in oil companies tend to look the way they've always looked over the years - white male. Not that there aren't any women or minorities in positions of power, because there most certainly are. It's just my limited, casual observation that none of those very few black women in executive management positions have natural hairstyles. Could be totally coincidental...could be not...

Well_Coiffed

This is an interesting post! I have been wearing my texlaxed hair in a big curly fro all summer and white people LOVE it! They think it is so glamorous. The only "racially charged" comment was from a customer who said I looked like a young Diana Ross (no way in hell that could ever be). She was just so impressed, I guess, that was the most glamorous black person she could compare me too. Black people kinda look sideways at me, more curious, I think. Now, I have seen brothas in high profile professions sporting their dreads, twists and fros. So why is this question usually addressed to us?

Oh, on the flipside, I usually have white coworkers who ask why I don't wear my hair natural. Basically, stating that I SHOULD be wearing it natural. Now this kind of pisses me off, because I think there is an underlying assumption about trying to be less black.

Last edited:

msjones

bmoreflyygirlQuote:

Totally agree!

Go figure.

I find that although white people won't comment....they'll still have an opinion. Especially since nowadays racism in general is more covert/nonverbal...and defintely does affect your ability to advance in the workplace. I've seen this happen, and its happened with me too.