Is wig-wearing a Catch-22?

YankeeCandle

I feel like there are a few problems with wigs as "protective styling."

1. Many thin or thinning haired women (like my grandma and myself) are interested in wigs for their ability to hide our thinning or balding areas. YET, at least with half wigs which is what I use, you need to have a goodly amount of hair at your crown, nape, etc. to have either the combs or the hairpins keep the wig in. Catch-22? I only have a few choice strands on my crown for those pins to cling to.

2. Many wig-wearers here are interested in protecting hair with a wig in order to preserve their own hair's growth, protect their ends, etc. YET, when someone's hair gets to be a certain length, it becomes difficult (*at least in my experience) to gather all that hair (whether in corn rows, buns, or whatever) under your wig or half-wig...which precludes you from moving on to your next length (or thickness) goal.

And honestly even after taking out the combs and using hairpins, I have to admit that I still feel pressure on my scalp and strands that just can't be good for my hair long-term. It's not painful...but there's definitely pressure there.

Thoughts?

shenitab

I think that there can be problems with them.
I pretty much only wear full wigs because I am natural and not interested in straightening/flat ironing to get hair to match.
Sometimes, depending on the wig, I do feel pressure/weight so I make sure I vary the way I twist/cornrow/wear by hair under the wig. I have also ran across some type of gel liner that is supposed to more evenly distribute the weight of the wig around your head. I have not tried it myself though.

nakialovesshoes

I, too, am a natural & plan to be a full wig wearer. I'm going to get my hair cornrowed in a circular pattern as if I were getting prepped for a sew-in. Also, in the past when I was relaxed & using wigs as protective styles, I would take a thin piece of silk & wrap it around my hairline before I put the stocking cap on. This kept the friction of the stocking cap from damaging my hairline. Overall my hair thrived under the wig. That is why I've decided to return to it as a protective (possibly transitioning, too) style.

On the flip side, I was reading some of Chavascandy's posts and she was asking the same question so IDK.:perplexed

Sugar

A year ago I stopped wearing wigs altogether because the wig clips/combs rubbed out a small patch of hair in the front of my hairline. As I have inherited my Dad and Grandfather's hairlines the wig damage was even worse to me. That and the scream I let out when I saw it probably scared half my neighbors...

mzsophisticated26

I totally feel ya, my hairline and edges are really thin(I think its hereditary) and I started wearing halfwigs about 3mths ago, I got one custom made so there are no clips and my scalp hurts in the 2 spots were I place the hair pins. I had to alternate wearing every 2wks for only 3 days. I wish I can find a full wig that does not look funny on me.

A year ago I stopped wearing wigs altogether because the wig clips/combs rubbed out a small patch of hair in the front of my hairline. As I have inherited my Dad and Grandfather's hairlines the wig damage was even worse to me. That and the scream I let out when I saw it probably scared half my neighbors...

LMAO---Sugar you are SO funny, but why can I feel your pain:lachen:?! I am an avid wig wearer, but dong on it, those suckers will take your hairline out if you are not careful. What I've been doing recently is taking out the combs. I also made a thin wig cap out of a thigh-high, for me it is a little better than the store bought wig caps because sometimes they can rub your hair out too...

coilykinks

I've never had a problem with wigs and I have been wearing them for a very long time. I don't wear a wig cap either. For what ever reason wigs hold well to my head. I have never had an issue with wigs rubbing away my hair line either. I cut the combs out of the ones that come with combs and I also cut off the adjustable strap hooks, so that they do not pull on my hair.

To tell you the truth I think the wig stocking caps cause the damage to the hair line. The times that I have worn wigs caps my wig would feel extremely tight and cause me to have a headache. My hair is natural and puffs easily so, I basically rebraid my hair every 3 days so that my wig will lay down well. I just braid about 6 to 8 plaits and tuck them, my plaits reach the top of my shoulders. I don't braid in any special fashion and my hair or my big head holds the wig in place. HTH

I was wearing wigs for a while...just got rid of 'em and I didn't have any damage...my hair was always well moisturized underneath 2 prevent breakage...I have very thick hair and I think once your hair becomes very thick or long...its best 2 wear curly/wavy textures

locabouthair

I've never had a problem with wigs and I have been wearing them for a very long time. I don't wear a wig cap either. For what ever reason wigs hold well to my head. I have never had an issue with wigs rubbing away my hair line either. I cut the combs out of the ones that come with combs and I also cut off the adjustable strap hooks, so that they do not pull on my hair.

To tell you the truth I think the wig stocking caps cause the damage to the hair line. The times that I have worn wigs caps my wig would feel extremely tight and cause me to have a headache. My hair is natural and puffs easily so, I basically rebraid my hair every 3 days so that my wig will lay down well. I just braid about 6 to 8 plaits and tuck them, my plaits reach the top of my shoulders. I don't braid in any special fashion and my hair or my big head holds the wig in place. HTH

I agree. I've been wearing half wigs for about 6 months and my hairline is doing fine.

aegis

yeah i decided with my lacewigs to wear wig clips this summer in the back. bad idea. now my hair in the back is completely broken off. i will be sewing my unit on my hair like i used to

Iluvsmuhgrass

Girl me too.... and on top of that it was sore to the touch. I cut the combs out and made sure the wig cap wasn't too tight. I went without wigs just to make sure the spot was ok. *cough* comb over *cough* :lachen:

SelfStyled

I think you may have a point YC. For some it might be the wig itself, but for others I think it is more just the fact that whenever you do the same style over and over you can stress your hair. For me, my hair does not like to be in a ponytail every day. I am definitely falling back on the wigs and not wearing them as much any more. I am trying to incorporate some other styled into my regimen.

SweetSpirit86

I started wearing a wig last month or the month before that? Don't remember..not that it really matters. Anyways, I'm natural, and a weirdly sized TWA is all I've got right now. My wig doesn't have any combs on it, just these two straps that have hooks like a convertible bra? It stays on pretty snug with just that and my stocking cap. I haven't seen any breakage yet; if anything it's saving my edges and nape because I'm not constantly putting a headband on.

ladybuddafly

I wore wigs quite a bit earlier this year. And I actually feel adamant that's why my hair has achieved the length it has. My hair did fine under the wigs. I kept it cornrowed, pulled the ends into a bun, and wore a wig cap. I'm looking forward to wearing them again to get to the next level.

YankeeCandle

These are all great , thoughtful responses.

I can't wait to engage with them one by one...I'm going away for a few days but will back later to expound.

THANK YOU

YankeeCandle

I have also ran across some type of gel liner that is supposed to more evenly distribute the weight of the wig around your head. I have not tried it myself though.

I've never heard of a gel liner, but now you've piqued my interest.

I, too, am a natural & plan to be a full wig wearer. I'm going to get my hair cornrowed in a circular pattern as if I were getting prepped for a sew-in. Also, in the past when I was relaxed & using wigs as protective styles, I would take a thin piece of silk & wrap it around my hairline before I put the stocking cap on. This kept the friction of the stocking cap from damaging my hairline.

The silk is great idea. In regards to the cornrows, I have never had my hair cornrowed or braided in any way (except two or three big "Pocahontas" plaits). Does the circular pattern work on hair that is longer than shoulder-length? My curly hair is shoulder length but when stretched it goes past that.

Mine is almost certainly hereditary too because I have had a thinning crown since middle school and my mother, my father, my grandmother, all my uncles and several aunts, and both grandfathers all had thin, thinning, or bald-spotted hair at young ages.

I got one custom made so there are no clips and my scalp hurts in the 2 spots were I place the hair pins. I had to alternate wearing every 2wks for only 3 days. I wish I can find a full wig that does not look funny on me.

Full wigs don't fit my big head, and I don't have the money to have one custom-made. I never heard of a custom-made halfwig; do you have any names or sites I can check out?

I think you may have a point YC. For some it might be the wig itself, but for others I think it is more just the fact that whenever you do the same style over and over you can stress your hair. For me, my hair does not like to be in a ponytail every day. I am definitely falling back on the wigs and not wearing them as much any more. I am trying to incorporate some other styled into my regimen.

Wigs look so good on you that that's a shame, but I agree that we need to change it up as much as possible.

My wig doesn't have any combs on it, just these two straps that have hooks like a convertible bra? It stays on pretty snug with just that and my stocking cap. I haven't seen any breakage yet; if anything it's saving my edges and nape because I'm not constantly putting a headband on.

I own about 6 halfwigs and all of them have combs, even with the "bra" straps. What brand and model is that one you have? I'm afraid I need some sort of fastener, though (in my case, long hairpins) to keep stuff on my larger-than-average head.

I don't know if you can rotate the comb placement in the wigs, but if yu can, do so...or have more than one type of wig. If you aren't careful, you can make the problem much worse than what you started w/ because your hair follicles are being asked to carry more weight then they are programmed to do.

That's what I'm afraid of--making it worse. But I do take out the combs and use long hairpins that I try to put in place A on Monday and Place B on Tuesday, etc.

I wish I knew how to install wig clips, but that involves sewing I think. Arrghh, I'm so useless when it comes to every personal/domestic skill except cooking. Never learned to braid hair, sew, wash floors properly...I need to spend time with grandma this Thanksgiving and make her give me some lessons!:)

LadyPaniolo

Yes, wigs can be a catch 22... they have potential drawbacks to them like anything else in life. :imo: you can minimize the drawbacks and still enjoy wigs as an essential part of your HHJ.

1. Combs must be cut out. This is NOT optional! Before I cut the combs out of my wigs, my scalp would get sore from the combs, and I would lose strands removing the wig. Cut out the combs, and use bobby pins to pin it on.

2. Bra-strap clips on the wig MUST be cut out! Those things are the devil. My hair would STAY getting tangled in those and I even ripped out a chunk of hair from one. Cut them suckers OUT.

3. The wig cap.... is NOT your friend. Some ladies have no trouble with it, some ladies do have trouble with it. I have tried different ways to handle it. One thing I used to do was wear a silk scarf underneath the nylon wig cap. BUT this sometimes made the wig cap slip off underneath my wig! Now I have a cheap "satin" du-rag from the BSS, and I wear that underneath my wigs. Be sure to get black! It keeps my hair from getting roughed up while I still look fly.

4. Your hair line needs to have variety and some rest. You can wear half wigs some days so that your hairline is out and breathing free, :lol: and full wigs on other days. As much as some people don't like it, wearing a headband can make your life a lot easier as far as wig/half wig blending goes. When you get half wigs, try to get ones that are sold as mono-front, or lacefront type. They don't leave a big jumbo "bump" that can be seen from 50 ft away.

5. Variety is the spice of life. People will likely notice if you wear a waist length wig Tuesday after a shoulder length wig Monday. But apart from that, I think having 4-5 different wigs in different styles is a fun way to change it up. Some will look cute turned slightly to the side or pushed back a bit from your hairline... change it up. Your hair will thank you.

YankeeCandle

Wise words, Lady Paniolo.

About the wig caps--they don't fit my big head, anyway. I've tried stocking caps; shiny satin nylon caps; du-rags, and a whole host of things, and none of them stay on my large head combined with my hair (which, although thin, has volume because of being curly).

LadyPaniolo

I hear you about the voluminous hair! I'm in the same boat. I either cornrow my hair into the around the world pattern that is used for sew-ins, or in maybe 10 cornrows going straight back.

Now that my hair is getting so long, I don't do that as much. I was getting breakage at the nape from flipping the ends up under my wig.

If my hair wasn't cornrowed down, I could NEVER fit into a wig cap, satin sleep bonnet or anything else, lol. Cornrowing the hair down, or at the very least plaiting the hair into individuals that you can pin into position, is key.

*Frisky*

Yes, wigs can be a catch 22... they have potential drawbacks to them like anything else in life. :imo: you can minimize the drawbacks and still enjoy wigs as an essential part of your HHJ.

1. Combs must be cut out. This is NOT optional! Before I cut the combs out of my wigs, my scalp would get sore from the combs, and I would lose strands removing the wig. Cut out the combs, and use bobby pins to pin it on.

2. Bra-strap clips on the wig MUST be cut out! Those things are the devil. My hair would STAY getting tangled in those and I even ripped out a chunk of hair from one. Cut them suckers OUT.

3. The wig cap.... is NOT your friend. Some ladies have no trouble with it, some ladies do have trouble with it. I have tried different ways to handle it. One thing I used to do was wear a silk scarf underneath the nylon wig cap. BUT this sometimes made the wig cap slip off underneath my wig! Now I have a cheap "satin" du-rag from the BSS, and I wear that underneath my wigs. Be sure to get black! It keeps my hair from getting roughed up while I still look fly.

4. Your hair line needs to have variety and some rest. You can wear half wigs some days so that your hairline is out and breathing free, :lol: and full wigs on other days. As much as some people don't like it, wearing a headband can make your life a lot easier as far as wig/half wig blending goes. When you get half wigs, try to get ones that are sold as mono-front, or lacefront type. They don't leave a big jumbo "bump" that can be seen from 50 ft away.

5. Variety is the spice of life. People will likely notice if you wear a waist length wig Tuesday after a shoulder length wig Monday. But apart from that, I think having 4-5 different wigs in different styles is a fun way to change it up. Some will look cute turned slightly to the side or pushed back a bit from your hairline... change it up. Your hair will thank you.

I totally agree with this. I have half wigs, full wigs, and lace front wigs and I switch them up through out the week. This week I took a break from them entirely and wore a bun. Thankfully, I have not experienced any breakage and I hope it stays that way. Even after I reach my hair goal I will probably still wear wigs but not as often just for a change and to give my own hair a break.

darlingdiva

I agree w/ the bolded. Those wig caps are too tight. I stopped wearing them shortly after I started wearing wigs. I wear a satin bonnet under my wig, and I braid my hear underneath the wig.

MJ

I addressed those issues, by learning to cornrow my hair in a circle around my head (I went to a hairdresser the first few times), wearing a black satin durag as a wig cap, and not wearing wigs with combs.

For me, the catch-22 is deciding when to stop wearing wigs 24/7 and "wearing" my own hair out 24/7; wigs become a serious crutch.