Advice Needed from Wig Wearers

nyc_beauty

I would like to wear synthetic hair wigs this fall/winter. I have read that many wig wearers wear silk/satin under their wigs or a wig cap (stocking material). My goal is to not cause any more damage to my edges or nape. For those whom have no damage what materials do you wear under your wigs? Also, with you having something between wig and hair, how are you able to secure the wig to head?

TIA

ryanshope

Hello,

I have been wearing wigs for since January. My hair is shoulder length 4a/b. I wear a baggie on my hair. I braid my hair into 6 or 8 braids, coat with conditioner and put on my plastic cap. Then I put on the wig cap(really is an old pair of pantyhose) and go..

best thing ever..I just flat ironed my hair which needs a relaxer SO bad but my hair edges haven't suffered an iota.

ClassicChic

I just use the wig cap.

I have no problem my edges. I don't where the wigs with the combs. Instead it has the fasteners in the back. I add a bobby pin above each ear to secure it.

Country gal

I have a wig with a comb. I feel it is messy up my front nape. I would suggest getting one without the comb.

supagyrl0302

I cut the combs of mine I have been just securing w/ a bobby pin and wearing a headband if is is a half- most plp don't realize its not my real hair. I I have't found satin or silk caps but I have a satin scarf that I got from the BBS that works pretty well for protecting my edges. The baggy works well 2.

MJ

I wear black satin doorag under my wig. My wig has adjustable straps in the back.

bermudabeauty

I have healthy "edges" when I wear wigs I just make sure my hair is moisturized and my ends are tucked in a little bun. Rarely do I wear a wig cap, if I do I buy the netted ones that allow my hair to breathe. It gets hot under that wig.

flowinlocks

I have healthy "edges" when I wear wigs I just make sure my hair is moisturized and my ends are tucked in a little bun. Rarely do I wear a wig cap, if I do I buy the netted ones that allow my hair to breathe. It gets hot under that wig.

Ditto, the wig cap seems to make it slip & slide a bit too much for me plus it makes me sweat unless I get the net kind, mostly I just bun or cornrow my hair back.

hopeful

When I wore a wig, I used a wig cap. I always made sure that my edges were moisturized with s-curl and coated with a heavy oil. But I have never had a problem with my edges either.

TwistedRoots

Back2Life Back2ReLaxer!
Hello,

I have been wearing wigs for since January. My hair is shoulder length 4a/b. I wear a baggie on my hair. I braid my hair into 6 or 8 braids, coat with conditioner and put on my plastic cap. Then I put on the wig cap(really is an old pair of pantyhose) and go..

best thing ever..I just flat ironed my hair which needs a relaxer SO bad but my hair edges haven't suffered an iota.

This is me to the T! Except I just cover my ends with saran wrap after I put my moisturizer on.

Last edited:

nyc_beauty

I have a wig with a comb. I feel it is messy up my front nape. I would suggest getting one without the comb.

I want to thank EVERYONE for their responses!

I think the culprit with my thinning edges/nape have something to do with getting wigs with the combs. I am going to take the suggestions of wearing ones with the adjustable straps instead or just simply cutting out the combs as suggested.

Thanks EVERYONE!!