Hair Growth and Weight Loss Challenge 2015

naptime

I'm so mad :swearing: I've been working out so hard and eating very lightly for a long time and my weight just doesn't seem to budge. I was never like this before, I always stayed at about a size 4 or 6. I'm working out way harder now and eating way less and I've never weighed this much :(. I don't know what to do but more of the same :(

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I'm so mad :swearing: I've been working out so hard and eating very lightly for a long time and my weight just doesn't seem to budge. I was never like this before, I always stayed at about a size 4 or 6. I'm working out way harder now and eating way less and I've never weighed this much :(. I don't know what to do but more of the same :(

How long have you been doing this routine? Maybe you hit a plateau... Do you allow yourself a cheat meal every now and then? Are you drinking any alcohol? Logging your food/calories? Eating too little is just as bad as overeating. It's hard to figure out how much to eat and how much to exercise... I'm still trying to figure it out myself.

My starting weight was 165 I think and I'm 168 today (Tom). I'm not discouraged though. I know I will drop at least 5lbs once my hormones get back to normal.

naptime

I hate logging food :( I know I should. I have a cheat meal every couple of weeks...and I do have a glass of wine every now and then :blush:. But I make all my meals from scratch, no fast food, no soda, no cookies or cakes! I work out really really hard! I don't need to be skinny anymore, but this isn't reasonable :(

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
^^^I worked my butt off for a year and my weight stayed the same. This year it hss crept up a few lbs despite my best efforts. I think tying my tubes last year at age 30 wasn't such a great idea. All I can do now is keep at it. I want to get down to 130, but at this point I would be happy at 145

davisbr88

Prettymetty: :clap:
You are on it! I need to get like you!
I'm getting ready to head to bed.
I wasn't hungry, and I resisted some homemade Chipotle rice bowls my friend made (one of my favorite foods!). I am looking forward to having mine for breakfast. :grin:

Evolving78

^^^I worked my butt off for a year and my weight stayed the same. This year it hss crept up a few lbs despite my best efforts. I think tying my tubes last year at age 30 wasn't such a great idea. All I can do now is keep at it. I want to get down to 130, but at this point I would be happy at 145
you can do it! I've had 3 c-sections, tied my tubes, and I'm several years older than you, plus I got a 22 month old running around here! Lol just keep going! I went hardcore with eating salads (loaded with veggies) i ate broiled, or sautéed chicken, and fish, I only had water and protein drinks. If I wanted a snack, I ate those weight watcher snacks. I would have peanut butter on whole wheat bread, and ate oatmeal, turkey bacon, almond milk for breakfast. I ate on saucer plates instead of dinner plates. I did cardio intervals as well as resistance intervals at home. I never step foot in a gym. I would work out earlier in the morning before the kids got up. I lost 30 pounds. I have managed to keep the baby weight off I gained and I am back to the size I was when I was 22! I still eat this way, but I have my binges at times and I need to get back to the water a little better. I was in this challenge last year and it helped me to lose and maintain! It can be done! Getting into a certain type of dress was my motivation. I know it's vain, but I hated how I looked in my clothes. I wanted to wear a fitted dress and not look stank in it and like I had no business wearing it!

Kalia1

you can do it! I've had 3 c-sections, tied my tubes, and I'm several years older than you, plus I got a 22 month old running around here! Lol just keep going! I went hardcore with eating salads (loaded with veggies) i ate broiled, or sautéed chicken, and fish, I only had water and protein drinks. If I wanted a snack, I ate those weight watcher snacks. I would have peanut butter on whole wheat bread, and ate oatmeal, turkey bacon, almond milk for breakfast. I ate on saucer plates instead of dinner plates. I did cardio intervals as well as resistance intervals at home. I never step foot in a gym. I would work out earlier in the morning before the kids got up. I lost 30 pounds. I have managed to keep the baby weight off I gained and I am back to the size I was when I was 22! I still eat this way, but I have my binges at times and I need to get back to the water a little better. I was in this challenge last year and it helped me to lose and maintain! It can be done! Getting into a certain type of dress was my motivation. I know it's vain, but I hated how I looked in my clothes. I wanted to wear a fitted dress and not look stank in it and like I had no business wearing it!

Thank you so much for sharing!!:yep:..Your testimony is sheer MOTIVATION!

davisbr88

shortdub78: why don't you stop playing and come up in this challenge?!?!?! We need you in here with these wisdom bombs you keep dropping hunty. I'm listing you as the resident sage. :lachen:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
shortdub78 that is awesome! How long did it take you and did you get discouraged along the way? Every now and then when I'm not seeing results I feel like I might as well eat whatever and do nothing. Horrible idea I know, but this has been a long frustrating journey. I never had a weight problem until after the kids and sterilization :sad:

I don't want to eat fried chicken and potatoes everyday, but I want to be able to eat pasta every now and then without blowing up like a blimp :lol:

I am so thankful for this challenge. I know that I'm not alone in this. Last year I don't remember having such a supportive group. We can do it. Don't forget your positive affirmations today!

Evolving78

shortdub78 that is awesome! How long did it take you and did you get discouraged along the way? Every now and then when I'm not seeing results I feel like I might as well eat whatever and do nothing. Horrible idea I know, but this has been a long frustrating journey. I never had a weight problem until after the kids and sterilization :sad: I don't want to eat fried chicken and potatoes everyday, but I want to be able to eat pasta every now and then without blowing up like a blimp :lol: I am so thankful for this challenge. I know that I'm not alone in this. Last year I don't remember having such a supportive group. We can do it. Don't forget your positive affirmations today!
it took 3-4 months. I thought I was doing good at first, until I went into the fitting room. That mirror is the devil! I tried on so many things! Nothing was fitting me right! And I'm short as well! I would try on something that fit in the butt and stomach area, but it would be too long in the crotch area or leg area. And let's not talk about the tops and shirts! I wish I could get my pics off of my other phone to show you how big I had gotten. If I can get it off of my computer, I will post it. Oh since I got the spiralizer, I started using zucchini in place of pasta and quinoa instead of rice.

KinksAndInk

Professional Napper
Breakfast/lunch: a few slices of pickled turnips, 4 veggie grape leaves and a smoothie with apple pineapple guava orange mango papaya peach banana strawberry honey.

naptime

Ok...I am done whining, lol. I was back to working out today, did p90x ab ripper and legs and back. I've decided to do intermittent fasting as well.

I had to shop for some work clothes for the new job I just got. My pants are size 10, and I think I'll be fine when I'm a size 8, so that's only about 10 lbs or so til I reassess.

As for my hair, it seems happy being slow growing, lol. I read about the growth stimulating properties of rosemary, so I will try steeping some next wash day. I'm a regular tea rinser so I'm interested in seeing how this works.

hareluvah

shortdub78 and anyone else that is doing it.

How did you find the time? I'm having a hard time managing the household and working out. It feels like it's one thing or the other. My house is a mess and my 8 month old isn't sleeping at night or napping during the day for that matter, so I am straight up exhausted. I know that everyone says you have to take time for you, but when I don't stay on top of the household stuff it's too much stress for me the next day. And I feel like I am so tanked I don't have energy to invest in DD, she's four. A little background, the hubs and I bought our home in April and our DS was born a couple of weeks later. Because I was so pregnant when we were packing/moving, my husband did a lot of the "organizing", bless his heart. Lol! So it's not just keeping the house clean, and cooking meals. It's unpacking and organizing on top of everything else.

It's after midnight, and I'm just sitting down. And I'm already up early in the morning and go to bed late. It's strange, but the best thing for my weight loss is actually sleeping. I mean that goooooood sleep.

I'm ranting... Thank God for this forum. I really mean it. Having the support of you ladies means so much.

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Lmao shortdub78! That dressing room mirror truly is the devil. It just crushes my self esteem :rofl:

But in all seriousness, my last run in with the fitting room mirror was my motivation to drop this weight.

Evolving78

shortdub78 and anyone else that is doing it. How did you find the time? I'm having a hard time managing the household and working out. It feels like it's one thing or the other. My house is a mess and my 8 month old isn't sleeping at night or napping during the day for that matter, so I am straight up exhausted. I know that everyone says you have to take time for you, but when I don't stay on top of the household stuff it's too much stress for me the next day. And I feel like I am so tanked I don't have energy to invest in DD, she's four. A little background, the hubs and I bought our home in April and our DS was born a couple of weeks later. Because I was so pregnant when we were packing/moving, my husband did a lot of the "organizing", bless his heart. Lol! So it's not just keeping the house clean, and cooking meals. It's unpacking and organizing on top of everything else. It's after midnight, and I'm just sitting down. And I'm already up early in the morning and don't go to bed at late. It's strange, but the best thing for my weight loss is actually sleeping. I mean that goooooood sleep. I'm ranting... Thank God for this forum. I really mean it. Having the support of you ladies means so much.
I would get up at 5am when the kids are still sleep. And everything you are going through, I went through as well. I'm not a clean freak, but I don't function well in clutter. It's kind of hard to clean up during the day, so I clean up at night, or early in the morning.

When I was with ex dh, I stayed at home with the kids, so once I got them settled at night, I would clean for an hour. Now my SO works far away, so he doesn't come back until the weekend. On the days I'm home, i have my little one with me during the day. I just pick up here and there. I also try to get some cleaning, or self care done when he is napping. Sometimes, I take a nap with him.

My kids are little tornados, so I have no choice but to stay on top of things. When I was married, I used to fight my husband all of the time about wanting him to help out more. I started to get extremely resentful towards him. But now, I have no choice, but to just get it done. There is nobody else to help! Lol so I just dig in.

There are days when I'm superwoman, and there are days I'm like just don't burn the house down. Like this weekend, I decided to just take some time for me. I got to wash my hair in peace! I took a long shower! I exfoliated, I shaved, etc..!

Lol it's 3:34am and I'm up having quiet time. I'm about to get started on laundry, and clean these bathrooms! I don't get much sleep. 5-6 hours at the most. Since you have a dh that is helpful, talk to him about setting some time up for you to take care of self! It could be a couple of days a week for an hour or two?

I know my post is long, but I understand everything! I was bed written when I was pregnant with my daughter, but I still had a one year to care for. I still cleaned and maintained because I it needed to be done, and nobody else was gonna do it. I wanted to lose weight so bad after I had my second child, so I would wake up early, get my water, and do turbo jam! Other days, I would use my Dumbbells and use body weight.

When I was single with no kids, I worked nights, so I would get home in the morning and work out before I went to bed. As far as eating, I didn't have a lavish menu. I came up with a menu that was pretty simple and I new that it would work for me. So I didn't have to figure out calories, etc... Since I was consistently eating the same things. I believe once you get into maintenance mode, you can start adding more foods into the mix slowly. This way you can see what is working for you.

Sugadoll

I'm in.
Will be watching and learning from y'all.
Found out that my total cholesterol is 348. This is way high.
Current weight 235.
My regime is as follows; Protein shakes twice a day.
Small meal at dinner with S/O.
Braggs ACV with honey in my water.
I must say I am truly afraid of the numbers I have related to my cholesterol.

KaramelDiva1978

Omg I needed to hear this! I just got my tubes tied with this baby, so I was going to lose it if this weight wants to hold in for dear life! This was also my first c-section and it was horrible compared to my vaginal deliveries. The recovery has been easy though. I got my first workout in last Thursday and it was great, tomorrow kicks off my first full week of going hard in the gym. I'd like to do two workouts a few days if possible because my gym has Zumba and that'll be fun.

Thank you shortdub78, I'm so ready now! I've already been eating a lot like what you've listed, but I need to drop my daily ice cream sandwich!! Sweets are my weakness!!

davisbr88

One week down, ladies!
:dance7::dance7::dance7:

This thread has been awesome! So supportive and so much positive energy circulating, and I am inspired!
Welcome to anyone I haven't had a chance to personally welcome, and I am looking forward to this year!

Question of the week:
What is one lesson you learned this week that you believe will help you in the weeks to come towards reclaiming your health?

For me, I had to learn to stop trying to change/restrict the food I was eating, but change MY behavior. It's not the food's fault that I am fat - it is my overeating, overindulging, and mindless eating that is the problem, and I am getting this under control. I've only been following Weigh Down since Friday, and I already feel more empowered, in control, energetic, and less focused on food all.the.time!

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
I bought another cute gym outfit today. I got a white puma tank with blue and white gym tights. I'm going to do an interactive workout once the kids are in bed.

My mother in law made pizza and it smells delicious. I have to remember to eat slowly and enjoy every bite so that I don't overeat.

Oan my new scale is pretty, but very inaccurate. Just to be sure I stepped on my expensive body fat scale and I was 4lbs lighter. My weight this morning was 162. Down 2bs from starting weight :yay:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
Question of the week:
What is one lesson you learned this week that you believe will help you in the weeks to come towards reclaiming your health?

I learned that it isn't always what you eat, but how much you eat that determines what you will look like. I met a man this week that just had the gastric sleeve. Before the surgery he had no self control. Now 5 months later he has lost 89lbs and has learned to eat in moderation. I was truly inspired and in a few months I will have my own success story.

Ajna

I'm in.
Will be watching and learning from y'all.
Found out that my total cholesterol is 348. This is way high.
Current weight 235.
My regime is as follows; Protein shakes twice a day.
Small meal at dinner with S/O.
Braggs ACV with honey in my water.
I must say I am truly afraid of the numbers I have related to my cholesterol.

What was your LDL do you remember? Before you stress yourself out just breathe and remember the LDL one is the one to really watch.

I will say when mine was creeping up I went started with red yeast and acv it is now normal and that did not take long at all.

Ajna

One week down, ladies!
:dance7::dance7::dance7:

Question of the week:

:

Planning and then sticking to plan is everything.

I am one of those people who hate to plan. This idea that I have to do what I have written down for me is an issue. Silly right but true. Anyway I tend to make plans that are either unrealistic or do not account for everything that needs to get done. In the end my plans frequently go awry.

This week I am going to take the time and write out a complete to do list for the week and then I am going to stick with it. As much as I hate to admit it because I hate getting up in the morning the truth is I exercise longer and harder when I do it first thing which means up at 5:30.

F--K my life!!!

davisbr88

Congrats, Prettymetty! I can't wait for my "lady time" to end so I can weigh!!!

Ajna: Oy. 5:30 workouts sound scary! But I admire people who are able to do it. I tried it for a little while and I was so lazy with it, I may as well have been asleep.

ronie

I had a hectic weekend. Glad to see everyone still at it. I did lurke, but I resisted the temptation to procrastinate as I had tons of homework due this morning. It also was DD wash week which takes a whole day and half ( take cornrows down,wash, protein, dc, and recornrow... on a 4 year old, loll). Anyways I managed to do body works twice. My eating was horrible though. And it shows as my scale number today was 152.5 when last week was 152. I guess all the rice, pizza, and cookies I had this week did their work, lolll.
But I will not be discouraged. Today is a new day. I will not get to my goal of 150 for valentines. So aiming for the end of February. I just want to be in the 140s already. This week I want to introduce more cardio. It's time I change things up a bit.
This morning I had a mix of vegetables with turkey sausage. 16 oz of water so far.
My hair did not get washed as planned. I've instead been moisturizing and sealing and twisting for twist out.

ronie

Thanks for the words of encouragement and support shortdub78. Congrats on your success. We can definitely learn from your experience.
Answer to question of the week:
A little cheating is ok, but cheating everyday will not get me to my goals. I had rice 3 times, pizza once, and bagels twice this week. That was too much carbs for me. I didn't loose anything this week. My scale number actually went up. And I weigh exactly the same way every week. I should have done a little more cardio to balance it out. My thing with cardio is that, even if done moderately, it makes me eat like a beast. So I prefer to decrease my calories and stick to strength training. Running around the house, and on my busy hospital unit at work is cardio enough for me, lollll.

ronie

Prettymetty
I only have a a 4 year old, but I can so relate about finding time to self. Bother DH and I work 12 hour night shifts. Most mornings, he has to pick her up from granma s house to take her to school. Meanwhile I go to the gym. I'm of 4 nights a week. On those days, I struggle to find the time honestly. That's when I clean, cook, and do my own school work. I am enrolled in an online program, and it is very convenient as I can attend class wile lurking on LHCF, in pajamas, and cooking dinner, loll. At home I use Jillian michaels videos or just do my own routine with my 10 lbs dumbbells. Sometimes I just close my eyes on things. Thank god we are not clean freak. I do need to keep things clean and clutter free for DD, but I can't do everything all the time. I ask DH to make his own food some days, and I pay the babysitter extra at times to help me with laundry. Good luck girlie. I think you are doing amazing with everything you have on your plate. Your hubby and kids are lucky to have you.

naptime

I did my P90X plyometrics tape today (super hard!), and since we're snowed in (again!) I had time to try my new rosemary rinse under my vanilla silk dc. I put on a collagen/ vitamin C facial mask while I was under the dryer.

I plan to hide from hubby while he eats lunch so he doesn't feed me, lol, and dinner will be baked herbed turkey tenderloin with roasted red and yellow peppers. I may make that yummy mashed cauliflower again too.

I'm determined to be fab at 50!

cynd

I don't know why I'm having such a hard time getting into the groove this time around. I'm trying to mostly eat protein, vegies and fruit but I'm' having a heck of a time letting go of my starchy delights. I just started taking a tsp of ACV again this morning and hopefully it will work like it has in the past with my carb cravings. Still no progress on the exercise front but tomorrow is a new day (I pray).

Last edited:

Prettymetty

Natural/4b/medium-coarse
ronie Thanks girl.

Are you watching your carbs? I have been lurking on the Atkins website and I would like to do the 40 plan. Today I may go over a bit, because I had a slice of pizza from Sam's while we were grocery shopping. I can avoid bread for the rest of the day, but I will still consume other kinds of carbs (fruit, veggies, etc.)