Weight Loss & Hair Growth Challenge 2012 Q2

MangaManiac

Hello Ladies,

Hope everything is going well. I just really started getting serious this week. Tuesday I went to the gym and did 45 minutes of cardio and 45 minutes of ab and core work. Wednesday I went to the gym and did 45 minutes of cardio again and 45 minutes of upper body work. Today the weather was really bad in the morning and I didn't feel like walking to the gym, so I just did 65 minutes of Dance Dance Revolution with no strength training. I'm sad I missed out on burning the extra calories, but I did make the 30 minute trek back from the station on foot this evening instead of talking the bus. :yep:

I'll be going back to the gym tomorrow to do cardio and lower body work. Saturday is supposed to be a day off, but I may going for a jog in the morning. I'm meeting my ex in the evening and I want to make sure I look as good as possible. It's a pride thing! :spinning:

Well, I'm reassessing my goals and I think for Quarter 2:

Weight - 155-158 (XX kilos)
Hair - BSL when straight

Hopefully I will also go from my current dress size 12 to a size 10 by then. I'll hold off making any more goals until then! :look:

ToSelahWithLove

I went on DontBreakTheChain today and turns out.... I haven't worked out in 40 days! It started cuz I was sick.. then I had spring break.. then I was sick again. And here I am 40 days later not having seen the gym. SMH. On the upside... I'd dropped 15lbs and since the 40 days only gained 2lbs back -- meaning my weight loss has been more about food consumption than cals burned. SCORE. Still gonna get back in the gym though.

as for my hair? I'm on my second 8 week fullhead weave install. This will be my 4 week mark this Saturday. First time with a net, and I like it. Four more weeks til I take it out, reconstruct, steam, etc and reinstall. good times :)

MangaManiac

Yeah! I'm down another kilo this week, which means 176 lbs.! I haven't been this low in a LOOOOONG time! I only worked out 3 times last week (goal is 5-6) and this week I have yet to make it in. I have been walking a lot more each day that I'm not in the gym and cutting way back on calories as well (so easy with the Lose It! app). If I keep this up I will be able to go below 170 by the end of the month! I wanted to hit 165 by June 1st, but I'm going to be realistic and say 169. But I know I can get to 165 if I get my workouts up. Just have to get over today and I'm sure I can start getting back into it. At least my eating is on point. Almost bought some major junk yesterday, but my budget wouldn't allow for it! :lachen:

Hair wise, I have experienced some breakage around my bangs. I'm really not happy and I'm sure I've lost length in the back as well. I'm going to stop almost all direct heat and wear my hair in braidouts until I put my hair in braids this summer. Braids always helped me with my hair and I think it will make sulfur applications easier. I just need to make sure that I'm cowashing everyday or every other day to keep the smell to a minimum. It will also make exercising easier because I won't have to worry about what to do with my hair afterwards!

ToSelahWithLove

I've completely fell off, weight wise. I was SOOO focused and lost 15 in the Quarter 1 of this challenge. Then got too happy and bored with working out.... gained back 5. sigh. Gonna try to get into a groove of working out and eating right again.

as for my hair? Still going strong. I'm 10 days into my 3rd install. Meaning I've gone twice with 8 week installs... and working on the 3rd. I wash/condition once a week while in the weave. When I take it out: Shampoo, Dudley's protein treatment, Moisturizing DC, blowdry.

I'm thinking at the end of this 8 week install, getting it pressed and/or big chopping. I'll be one year post. Initially I wanted to go 22 months but more and more my desire to cut the rest of the ends off now just keeps getting stronger. lol

victorious

Relaxed/4A/Fine/Thin/APL
I have 5 more pounds to lose to achieve my first goal. I did slack off on exercising at one point, but I'm back on track now. Limiting sweet and salty snacks is still a work in progress.

I've been keeping up with my nightly and weekly hair routines, and it feels nice and smooth. I really have to protect my ends every night and make sure they don't get snagged in my favorite chain. One night I fell asleep without pin curling my hair and found little balls of hair tangled in my chain. :sad:

MangaManiac

I have really fallen off the wagon and I've had a set back with my bangs. I've decided that it will be best for both my weight loss and my hair if I put my hair back into braids. I'm going to be doing the crown and glory method starting tomorrow (when I get my hair braided).

As for working out. Tomorrow and Thursday are out of the question due to my hectic schedule, but Friday I'll be starting my program again. I'm also going to start jogging again. Fat fell off my body when I did jogging and I just need to be disciplined and get back to it. It will also help with hair growth due to the blood flow, so it's definitely the way to go.

I'll be updating more frequently after the next few days. Gotta start somewhere, right? :look:

ToSelahWithLove

not even gonna talk about my weight journey... all i need is 20lbs. and im bs'ing. smh. but anyways...

Hair is going well. I've been doing PSing since Feb 4, and so far so good. 6 months in a little bit. I think at the end of July I'm gonna get a short halle berry cut wig (used to have one 2 years ago that I loved). I like the weave I'm in, but i miss the ease of wigs cuz I wanna be able to steam/wash/etc easier. I also think I'ma cut this transition short and just chop off the relaxed ends after only 12 months. we'll see!

MangaManiac

I'm getting back into the swing of things!

I'm about to take my braids down after about 6/7 weeks, so I'll have to check back in about that. I'm just hoping for a full inch and some improvement with my bangs. :blush:

As for the weightloss, I'm doing well! I've figured out what works for me regarding my diet and my exercise routine. I just need to stay consistent this time around and I'll probably be able to get to my goal by the year's end. Tops that used to not fit at all a month or so ago, now fit REALLY well! They're not tight on the chest or the arms anymore! I'm still not fitting into my size 12 jeans, but I WILL fit into them by the end of August.

CONSISTENCY is the name of the game! I just watched a Fitspo video on Youtube and there was a quote that I'm making my mantra from now on: "If you don't work for it do you really deserve it?" I am going to work for my body, hair, skin, and career and I will deserve and have every success! :grin::yep::drunk:

MangaManiac

Also, just a quick note ladies - if you have a large cup of green tea, 2 boiled eggs, piece of fruit, and (maybe) a thin piece of toast for breakfast you will be FULL. It's a really low calorie breakfast, but it's packed with nutrients and it will supply a lot of energy throughout the morning. I've been eating like this for a while and I've been able to lose (not maintain!) additional weight even when not being consistent with my exercise.

shortt29

MangaManiac said:
I'm getting back into the swing of things!

I'm about to take my braids down after about 6/7 weeks, so I'll have to check back in about that. I'm just hoping for a full inch and some improvement with my bangs. :blush:

As for the weightloss, I'm doing well! I've figured out what works for me regarding my diet and my exercise routine. I just need to stay consistent this time around and I'll probably be able to get to my goal by the year's end. Tops that used to not fit at all a month or so ago, now fit REALLY well! They're not tight on the chest or the arms anymore! I'm still not fitting into my size 12 jeans, but I WILL fit into them by the end of August.

CONSISTENCY is the name of the game! I just watched a Fitspo video on Youtube and there was a quote that I'm making my mantra from now on: "If you don't work for it do you really deserve it?" I am going to work for my body, hair, skin, and career and I will deserve and have every success! :grin::yep::drunk:

Congrats on getting back into the swing of things! I'm hanging in there myself with working out 5-6 times a week...the hair maintenance is just getting ridiculous with manipulating it after every workout to cowash and rinse my scalp. But I'm determined to make my workouts and transition to natural work!