Hair Butters, How Do You Use Them ?

JC-Junkie

:grin:It's coming to winter and I want to get prepared, buying products that will help me get through the cold days ahead :yep: So I've heard alot about butters like avocado and mango and shea butter and I was wondering how you ladies use your butters :grin: I tried shea butter but it didn't work for me, I think I didn't use it right though so I'm thinking to try it again. But it would be great if we can share some recipes to make moisturizers or DCs :grin:

TIA Ladies and HHG !!!!:yep::yep::yep:

IntoMyhair

I make my own hair butter with different oils and butter bases. I use them after I wash or moisturize my hair as a sealant. To seal in my water based products.

JC-Junkie

Thanks IntoMyHair !!! I'll try this when I get my stuff :)

Bumping for more replies ...........:yep::yep::yep:

Last edited:

davisbr88

My protein DC:
4 Tb avocado butter
4 Tb sweet almond butter
4 Tb silk amino acids
1 Tb coconut milk
2 Tb of Ace oil or 1 Tb each wheatgerm oil and sunflower oil
2 Tb avocado oil
2 tsp raw honey

My whipped mango butter:
1/2 c mango butter
2 Tb aloe vera gel
2 Tb olive oil
1 Tb coconut cream concentrate
1 Tb raw honey
1 Tb jojoba oil
1 Tb coconut oil
1 Tb fragrance oil

lalla

I use butters for oil rinses and to seal after moisturizing.
I add some to my DC.
I mix them with oils ( castor, avocado and coconut) too.

I sometimes massage my scalp with shea butter the day before washin because it is very soothing.

I also put some shea butter on my skin before going to sleep when I can remember; it makes my skin extremely soft and glowing. Coconut oil is good if you want a shiny effect on your skin.

LushLox

My butters are a bit too thick to apply to the length of my hair but they are excellent for the ends to act as a sealant.

La Colocha

has anyone used coffee butter?

I have used coffee butter as a prepoo but the smell is kind of strong like coffee. I didn't really see a difference in my hair using it.

My favorite butters are avocado and jojoba butter. I have used them in dc's and to seal the moisture in my hair. These 2 are great for the winter and a little goes a long way. I also have used them in homemade body butters. Add your favorite oils and whip with a hand mixer. There are so many ways to mix butters and uses for them. I also like avocado butter for lip balm. On clean damp hair i add my leave in and then lightly seal with a butter. Just start out with a tiny bit in your palm, rub it together until it turns to an oil and rub it down your hair from root to ends.Hth

choctaw

I like shealoe for skin and hair. I mix my own (shea, aloe vera gel, coconut oil) and sometime substitute coconut oil with sunflower, castor oil and add glycerin. Its another method to get ceramides into your hair regimen.

Embyra

Thanks La Colocha i read about the caffeine working for shedding on Alopecia board so was wondering if the butter would work as well

JC-Junkie

Thanks Guys great info !!

Sorry this is a dumb question but what are ceramides ??

Bumping for any more input !!

Mrs. Verde

Thanks Guys great info !!

Sorry this is a dumb question but what are ceramides ??

Bumping for any more input !!

There are few posts about ceramides. There is even a challenge that has some useful information in the thread.

What Are Ceramides?

The short answer is that ceramides are hair cuticle cement. These lipids play a key role in keeping the hair’s scales in place.

The long answer is that ceramides, are intercellular lipids which make up a portion of the hair cuticle (approximately 3% of the hair’s total composition), along with sterols (lipid, fatty composition).

Wheat germ is a naturally occuring form of ceramide, which is why some hair consumers with chemically treated strands utilize wheat germ oil for deep and leave-in treatments.

Damaged Hair Contains No Ceramides

Hair which has been damaged from chemical treatments (color, relaxing, straightening, Brazilians) or at-home excessive heat styling (hot irons, blow dryers, hot rollers, etc.,) generally contain little if any ceramides. Studies have shown that hair, even before it is altered with hair coloring has lost ceramides as a result of the environment (sun, wind, environmental toxins) or other stress triggers.

Ceramide deprived hair will have poor elasticity, high porosity and be prone to brittleness, excessive dryness, breakage, snagging and ripping. Damaged hair without cermides will also not hold curl or waves easily.

Generally speaking damaged hair examined under a microscope in a laboratory setting will generally show a complete absence of ceramides.

(Image to the right courtesy of L’Oreal – All Rights Reserved)

Discovering the link between damaged hair and absence of ceramides, hair care companies like L’Oreal researched the advantages of embedding off of their hair care products with ceramides to repair damage and restore hair to its pre-damage condition.

L’Oreal Was Pioneer In Working With Ceramides

L’Oreal discovered when studying hair before after chemical hair coloring services that all the ceramides were lost during the hair coloring process.
http://blogs.hairboutique.com/index...nt-for-damaged-hair-from-chemical-treatments/

Mrs. Verde

I live in the South. It gets cold, obviously not as cold as some other areas. I cowash in the morning and leave the house with a wet head. It doesn’t bother me and I don’t get colds.

I know some people continue to cowash, but do it at night because they don’t want to leave the house with their wet.

What do you do about wet hair in the winter? do you use a diffuser? or wash at night and let airdry?

IDareT'sHair

PJ Rehabilitation Center
My butters are a bit too thick to apply to the length of my hair but they are excellent for the ends to act as a sealant.

Same. I use(d) them to seal in moisture and on the ends. Last Fall/Winter I used alot of natural "Butters". This Fall/Winter I will use more items such as:

BeeMine Luscious
Qhemet AOHC & Qhemet BRBC
My HoneyChild Honey Hair Cream
Darcy Botanical Shea Butter Lotion
Darcy Botanical Eucalyptus & Mint Hair Butter
Njoi Ayurvedic Hair Butter
Njoi Sweet Coconut Pomade
Oyin Burnt Sugar Pomade *as sealant*
Komaza Califia Hair Cream & Komaza Scalp Conditioner
Claudie Ends Insurance
Hairveda Whipped Ends Hydration
Hairveda Green Tea Butter
Mozeke Avacado Hair Cream
Aveda Universal Styling Hair Cream
Christine Gant Herbal Rich Hair Butter
Ori Organics Butter Cream Leave-In
She Scent It 'new' Butters
Elasta QP Mango Butter
KBB Hair Butter

***These items are already in my stash, so I plan to use them. Will not purchase any "Natural" Butters this Fall/Winter. When I did, I got them from Texas Natural Supply and Purchased:

Hemp
Soy
Jojoba
Mango
Illipe
Avacado
etc......

Last edited:

grow

hi ladies!

are you all melting your butters to liquid form then adding the other things?

i have some chunky butter and it's just so difficult to manage.....(avocado)

i would prefer the butter to be smooth, but don't know how to get it like that and don't want to ruin the batch trying, so any ideas would really be helpful!

thanks ladies!

Ltown

Greyland
hi ladies!

are you all melting your butters to liquid form then adding the other things?

i have some chunky butter and it's just so difficult to manage.....(avocado)

i would prefer the butter to be smooth, but don't know how to get it like that and don't want to ruin the batch trying, so any ideas would really be helpful!

thanks ladies!

I put mine in mason jar, add other ingredient place jar in pot to melt. After it melts I separate to smaller containers and place in refrigerator to make it solid again.

grow

I put mine in mason jar, add other ingredient place jar in pot to melt. After it melts I separate to smaller containers and place in refrigerator to make it solid again.

wow, that is a great idea!!!!

i hadn't thought of putting it in the jar and the idea of that butter in a pan reminded me of fried butter...like for making pancakes....not a pretty sight for our hair...who knows what that type of heat does to the efficiency of the ingredients.

but putting the butter in a jar keeps the active ingredients "safe" and away from direct flame!

brilliant!

thank you!