• Massage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Both

• Neither

• Total voters

flyjump00

I am just curious how many of you brush your hair? A lady asked me how often I brush. I told her that I do not brush my hair. I have not brushed in about 8 years. I was told by a hair dresser that it was not good for my hair and that it splits the ends. He also told me to do scalp massages instead. This method has been working fine for me. Anyway...this Chic got an attitude and basically said I didn't know what I was talking about(and maybe I don't) and she went to cosmo school 10 years ago(but only worked 1 year) and that is not the reason her hair is breaking off. What are your opinions on hair brushing? I say whatever works for you. She asked and I told.

inthepink

I don't brush my hair b/c I am transitioning and brushing has proved to contributed to breakage at the demarcation line. I just use a fine tooth comb to smooth my hair. I sometimes massage my scalp when I'm washing/conditioning.

Armyqt

I brush my hair but not with a boar bristle brush. I used the denman D4 nylon brush. It's been a life saver too.

A_Christian

I stopped brushing my hair a few years ago. Even the 100% boar bristle brushes were breaking my hair off. However, my stylist sometimes does a "light" brushing with a paddle brush to coax my hair into a roller wrap. I also massage my scalp and get scalp massages from my stylists. The massages seem to really speed up growth.

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
naomi said:
I brush my hair everyday, I use a soft boar bristle brush.

[/ QUOTE ]

same goes for me.

Isis

I haven't brushed in years. Brushing always broke my relaxed hair off. I only comb when detangling my wet hair and massage my scalp daily.

candibaby

i've heard that it's not good to brush relaxed hair with boar bristles, but nobody has ever confirmed it. what do you think, isis?

Kha

The only brush I use is my denman brush. I use it more to work a product throughout my hair rather than for styling purposes.

Isis

Welcome Candibaby!

[ QUOTE ]
i've heard that it's not good to brush relaxed hair with boar bristles, but nobody has ever confirmed it. what do you think, isis?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in my experience even the 100 % boar bristles broke my relaxed hair. I thought we were supposed to brush our hair everyday. I didn't know about haircare yet in those days, I just stopped doing it and my hair stopped breaking from it, immediately. I think it was Cathy Howse who wrote about the fragility of relaxed hair and her hair broke off too when she used to brush it. Her hair started showing length when she stopped.

It may be just fine for natural hair though.

H

honey_jammz82

I brush with my denman brush occasionally in the shower with conditioner in my hair.

flyjump00

Isis, Our hair looks simular in texture. I don't think I'd be able to get a brush through mine if I wanted to. It is thick!
Thanks Ladies for the input. It sounds like it partly depends on the texture of the hair. I know that there is no right or wrong answer but she made it sound like there was only 1 way and I knew that was not right.

Erica78

Coils coils & more coils!
I brush once a day with a soft boar brush. Before...I would brush it all of the time. Been trying to cut back on it. Now I just try to brush my edges.

Nyambura

surfer girl
My hair is relaxed. Every night, I brush my roots back after putting the length of my hair in a bun. Do you think this is damaging to the hairline? Thanks in advance for your responses.

flyjump00

I guess it depends on your texture and if you are noticing any breakage. If it is working for you I say keep it up.

candibaby

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Welcome Candibaby!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, in my experience even the 100 % boar bristles broke my relaxed hair. I thought we were supposed to brush our hair everyday. I didn't know about haircare yet in those days, I just stopped doing it and my hair stopped breaking from it, immediately. I think it was Cathy Howse who wrote about the fragility of relaxed hair and her hair broke off too when she used to brush it. Her hair started showing length when she stopped.

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. do you know another kind that i can use instead?

deeplyrooted

i'm a napptural and i brush pretty much whenever i feel like it. my hair is still soft to the touch, so i guess it works for me. i hardly ever brushed when i wore a perm in my hair.

lsubabiedee

i brush my edges either with the brush that has been used on my hair since i was a baby or with a boar bristle brush

Isis

[ QUOTE ]
candibaby said:
[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
Welcome Candibaby!

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you. do you know another kind that i can use instead?

[/ QUOTE ]

I use a wide tooth comb with no seams. A bone comb (make sure there are no seams or rough edges) works very well too. I use this only when detangling my wet, conditioned hair under a running shower. I then use this afterwards when combing my leave-in through my wet hair. I air dry my hair so after that, no more combing until my next wash, just finger-combing and smoothing with my hands. No tangles at all.

Falon

I read in Cathy Howse's book that we aren't supposed to brush our hair at all. I've only been using her system for a week now so I don't know for sure if it will make a noticeable difference. But I've been able to style my hair just fine without a brush and I like not seeing that tuft of broken hair in my hairbrush no matter how tiny it is everyday. I may try the scalp massage though.

webby

Think Slim
The only time a brush touches my hair is when I'm using a boar's hair round brush when I'm blowing my roots out after a wash-n-set. Like Isis, I use a wide tooth comb, no seams, jagged edges and the comb must be breakable.

simplycee

Sweetest Taboo
I only use a boar bristle brush to smooth my edges when pulling my hair back or to smooth my wrap. I never brush the legnth of my hair. I haven't noticed any breakage.

GodMadeMePretty

My mother doesn't own a brush and her hair is relaxed at waist length.

I haven't brushed in a while except for the Denman brush which isn't even a brush IMO. It's a comb with multiple rows.
And it smooths like a fine-toothed comb.