Brushing the hair while washing???

NuMe2004

Hey y'all,

I went to the salon the other day and the stylist brushed my hair while she was shampooing it. She said she was using a special shampoo brush to clean my scalp and stimulate blood flow. She asked me if it was OK to use, and I said yes because it felt good. However, I'm not sure if it was good for my hair.

She showed me the brush and it was very small with rubber bristles. When she finished straightening my hair, we noticed that I had a ton of split ends. I wonder if the brush caused them or if I'm really obtaining that much damage in a 2 month period.

Do any of you use a shampoo brush?

Attachments

• lhcf.jpg
    lhcf.jpg
    43.3 KB · Views: 28
C

chica_canella

NuMe2004 said:
Hey y'all,

I went to the salon the other day and the stylist brushed my hair while she was shampooing it. She said she was using a special shampoo brush to clean my scalp and stimulate blood flow. She asked me if it was OK to use, and I said yes because it felt good. However, I'm not sure if it was good for my hair.

She showed me the brush and it was very small with rubber bristles. When she finished straightening my hair, we noticed that I had a ton of split ends. I wonder if the brush caused them or if I'm really obtaining that much damage in a 2 month period.

well i went to my new stylist two times and it seemed as if I got split ends since he uses the padded rubber bristle brush and an ion dryer which my hair is not use too. So yes I think she could have caused it.

Lotus

Did she drag the brush down the lengh of your hair?
In other words, did you notice splits where she brushed?
After she finished was your hair tangled more than usual?

If yes, to any of those... she probably caused 'some' splits. I think shampoo brushing is ok if done correctly. My grandmother and aunt (her daughter) both shampoo brush. Both have natural hair past their butts. My grandmother says (though I've never done it) use quick strokes on the scalp then lift. Brush strokes in the direction the hair is flowing. They use something like this- http://www.cachebeautysupply.com/Shampoo_Brush/diane_shampoo_brush.htm

I use something different, but I do brush wet or conditioned hair. I do not brush w/shampo. Shampoo doesn't coat the hair enough for me.

sareca

NuMe2004 said:
Hey y'all,

A stylist once used a brush that looked something like this...

She said the same things stimulates and cleans. It felt soooo good. I didn't dare stop her and I don't brush my hair ever... EVER!

Energist

Wow, I cringe at the thought :perplexed but that last red brush that's posted looks pretty gentle and non damaging. I don't think I'm brave enough to try on myself though.

krissyprissy

My mom, who is a stylist has been using a shampoo brush for years on my scalp and it never caused splits. Now, I currently use a shampoo brush at home too and again no spilts.

Personally I dont think splits can appear in the same day. Splits develop over time with styling abuse. IMO

Blackberry7

sareca said:

She said the same things stimulates and cleans. It felt soooo good. I didn't dare stop her and I don't brush my hair ever... EVER!

That's sort of the same principle as the denman brush or other rubber tipped brushes. Those are okay to use. A lot of people like them for detangling. From the title I was hoping it wasn't a bristle brush - that would not be a good idea.

Str8~Curly

My old stylist used it on my scalp with no problems. I also use a Denman brush through the entire length of the hair while washing without any problems. BTW, beautiful hair. :)

NuMe2004

sareca said:

That's what hers looked like! It did feel soooo good. It may not have caused the split ends, but I find it odd that I had so many considering that I don't fuss with my hair that much. However, some say that the longer your hair, the more often you should trim. Thus, maybe I should increase the frequency of my trims, as I currently only do it once every 6-8 weeks.

nycutiepie

I've had it used before by a stylist but that was before I found the forum. I wouldn't use a brush when my hair is wet now because my hair is fine/thin. I think manipulating when wet would be too much for me.

CAPlush

I use a shampoo brush all the time, but not when I shampoo. I use it after I have conditioned, and I've gone through it a couple of times with a shower comb. I use it to get my hair arranged back and straight on my head so I can bun it.

I was introduced to those things because one of my stylists used it when I was natural to detangle during shampoo-ing and it worked like a charm. I also had a stylist who would distribute conditioner during the neutralizing process after a relaxer with a shampoo brush. She said she did that because she said if the hair was neutralized in a smooth straight pattern, it would give less of an appearance of underprocessing. I would recommend to only use it on your scalp and edges and avoid raking through to the ends of your hair if you're noticing damage. And if you are noticing damage otherwise, just stop using it. The stylist should be able to stimulate your scalp with her fingers.