Brushing Hair = Split Ends

KinkyCurly

I read a few posts where someone mentioned not brushing her hair while wet. (I don't remember who it was) I have been wondering if brushing my hair when I get out of the shower to put it in a ponytail/bun for a protective style is the cause for my extreme split ends in the front of hair. I don't have many split ends in the back, but right around the hairline it is bad.

I tried the Damean (sp?) to brush it in to a ponytail/bun but I missed my smooth pony. If you don't brush it while wet, how do you get your hair into a ponytail/bun while wet? Is anyone else having this problem?

Isis

I don't own a brush. I use a wide-toothed seamless comb to comb my wet hair into a bun after detangling under the shower. After my hair airdries, I finger-comb and smooth my hair with my hands when styling it into a protective style.

Isis

My hair gets very smooth with the comb and I slick it back even more with my hands while it's wet. It works very well for me. I don't brush after my hair dries (don't have one anyway). Some on this board use a special, soft brush. You may want to do a search on brushes for more info.

Babygurl

I use a boar bristle brush to smooth my wet hair into a bun, and I havent seen any negative effects from that.

sassygirl125

Professional PJ
I smooth my already detangled hair with the Marble Anti-Static Styler Brush from Sally's. I don't brush from roots to tips like white women at bedtime on 50's TV, though. I just use it to flatten my hair a little bit more. I haven't noticed any broken hairs.

I tried a knock-off Denman D83 in the shower and it got stuck in my hair.
I don't see how naturals are using that brush...

Chimma

I think the brush is contributing to the split ends.

One option is to put a gel or mousse in your hair, comb it straight and put it into the ponytail, then tie a scarf around your head for a while as it is drying.

S

Stylepink

[ QUOTE ]
Isis said:
I don't own a brush. I use a wide-toothed seamless comb to comb my wet hair into a bun after detangling under the shower. After my hair airdries, I finger-comb and smooth my hair with my hands when styling it into a protective style.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here!

KinkyCurly

I will try using the wide-toothed comb to smooth. The denman brush is wonderful in the shower when used with conditioner, but I don't want to use it to smooth my hair in to a ponytial. Thank you ladies for your help.