Votes: 71 19.1%
  • 4b

Votes: 18 4.9%
  • dunno... but it's tooFIERCE.com

Votes: 86 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

EllePixie

This is funny to me. I'm a pretty concrete person. I read this as the individual is stating a fact rather than implying their hair is better :look:.

I think her hair is 4B.
I took that one sentence out of context, it would have made more sense if you saw the entire conversation. I don't usually dig for shade but I gave a side eye to that when I saw it. It wasn't on here though. Shrug.

Cherokee-n-Black

It's the products we used - not moisturizing or curl defining. My hair was uber thick then too. I has thinned out. My edges were always smooth and "silky" but we picked out the curls for afros.

I don't pick it out like we did then, my hair is thinner, and I use better products. I wouldn't do that today because I had a lot of tangles and combing my hair hurt.

This is my current version of an afro puff (I don't have one with no product sorry)

But I can do the same thing with my 5 year old who is my hair twin. Her texture looks silky with product but can be poofy too. Her puff can go from this:

to this when picked out:

Wow! Can't believe that fro-puff! "Say it loud..!" Too cute!

ShiShiPooPoo

And just to add to what I was saying before.

When someone comes in here and starts complaining about how a certain curl defining product didn't work for them and didn't define, people are always quick to say things like, "It will only define what's already there," and "It doesn't CREATE curls, just enhances them." and stuff like that.

But when someone shows a picture of their hair with a curl defining product in it and asks to be typed it's like, "Oh, you have to take a pic of your hair freshly washed with no product." and "We can't accurately type you if you've got product in your hair."

Lol... so... which is it? :look:

And, in fact, I think (and hair typing to me, like I said in the other thread, is only useful when it comes to styling so this is not that serious) that it is EASIER to type someone when their curl pattern is defined with product, because when without product, a lot of people's curl pattern's are frizzy, and the curl pattern is hidden in the frizz, therefore making it harder to see.

And in regards to what @iri9109 and @Kurlee were saying, I agree with both of your points. With @iri9109 I agree that dry hair should be the most accurate way to type hair, but I also agree with @Kurlee that the problem with dry hair typing is it's harder to see the curl pattern.

So, the solution to both of these?

Type hair dry, and WITH curl defining products! The hair will be dry so it is not being weighed down by water, and the hair will retain the curl pattern that shows up when it's wet. win/win :)

(sorry for the long post :ohwell:)

Can I just say that I've been looking at your hair more than this other woman...it's beautiful!

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
That's what I am saying too. The last time I checked, 4a was coffee stirrer size coils. Every year, what constitutes 4a coils has been getting bigger and bigger. Next someone is going to tell me Cree Summer is 4a :look:

Last edited:

Poohbear

Fearfully Wonderfully Made
You look 4a to me. Just maybe not as "silky" as some. I can definitely see you curl pattern!

So how am I 4a and HairCrush is 4a/b? My hair is way nappier than HairCrush's hair. Nothing wrong with that. That's just a fact. This is what I've been trying to figure out from this whole thread. I tried to shut up :lol: but I came back in after seeing more people thinking HairCrush has Type 4 hair.

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
I'm a 4a/4b mix, being more 4b than 4a and here is a pic of an old puff of mine. You can see some of my coffee stirrer sized coils peeking through in the back:

Last edited:

Embyra

That's what I am saying too. The last time I checked, 4a was coffee stirrer size coils. Every year, what constitutes 4a coils has been getting bigger and bigger. Next someone is going to tell me Cree Summer is 4a :look:

on here yes she is:look: i was told by 2 different people via PM my hair looks like hers and she is def not a 3 according to them so yeaaaahh :look::lol:

Embyra

I'm a 4a/4b mix, being more 4b than 4a and here is a pic of an old puff of mine. You can see some of my coffee stirrer sized coils peaking through in the back:

feel free to add some more pics to confirm your point:yep::lick::drool:

ms-gg

Aka frostoppa
Wowwwww, are you serious :look::nono: :lachen: ? I was just bullcraping.

Thanks girl :spinning:

I do have more pics lol, but they are of Lenny Kravitz. He is a 4a/4b mix too:

Please excuse the pank glitta shades :look:

PinkyPromise

Doing too much. I just stated my opinion. Yours seems like a kinkier 4a. You seem to have uniform curls throughout where hers looks more coarse/puffy that's where I got 4b from. If hers looked more uniform in curl like yours I'd consider it all 4a, but what do I know? Nothing. I'm trying to figure out my own texture myself.

Kurlee

i just don't get why people can't just say she has a looser hair type. First, it's because she twists and that permanently changed her texture, now it's that hair type despite pics showing contrary. I'm so confused. I mean, i just don't get it. Her hair has loose curls/s-waves in wet pics and barely shrinks, so ummm despite the fuzziness, she is definitely not a type 4 or even high 3. Geesh.

Last edited:

Poohbear

Doing too much. I just stated my opinion. Yours seems like a kinkier 4a. You seem to have uniform curls throughout where hers looks more coarse/puffy that's where I got 4b from. If hers looked more uniform in curl like yours I'd consider it all 4a, but what do I know? Nothing. I'm trying to figure out my own texture myself.

No problem. :cool:

i just don't get why people can't just say she has a looser hair type. First, it's because she twists and that permanently changed her texture, now it's that hair type despite pics showing contrary. I'm so confused. I mean, i just don't get it. Her hair has loose curls/s-waves in wet pics and barely shrinks, so ummm despite the fuzziness, she is definitely not a type 4 or even high 3. Geesh.

Yeah, exactly!

I know I said Hair Crush was 2C earlier, but maybe I'll give her 3A. It's just that I don't see any spirals, springs, or coils in her hair when wet or airdried unmanipulated.

Poohbear

on here yes she is:look: i was told by 2 different people via PM my hair looks like hers and she is def not a 3 according to them so yeaaaahh :look::lol:

Wow! Cree Summer is definitely a Type 3. Her spiral curls are bigger than tight springs of a Type 4. Here's a pic of her hair:

chicha

4b is tight hair. The coils are almost invisible to the naked eye unless you are right up on it.

If this is her natural hair with no chemicals or products I'd say 3b/3c. Its just a FRIZZY 3b/3c. I see waves in her hair. 4b is pure, tight coils.

Her dry hair falls closer to the 4B category, but she has coarse, heavy individual strands that cause her hair to hang down and have less shrinkage. Most 4Bs have fine strands that stand up and shrink onto themselves and need heavy products to coax it to hang a little. That would explain why her hair looks so different than others because it has the coarseness associated with straighter hair but a kinky texture.

I guess it is true. Her 4B is not my 4B.

DaiseeDay

I was gonna vote 4a before it occurred to me that her hair before she wet it looks like BoBraz before you wet it. Her wet hair looks like wet BoBraz. It's generally agreed that BoBraz is like 3a-3c. I think that if she used gel to define her curls people would easily agree that she's type 3, but it seems like she just doesn't do a lot of curl defining. I also don't really think her before hair is technically un-manipulated: she was running her hands through it dry, so that's probably why you can barely see a curl pattern. It's obvious that she has big spirals in the wet photos. You can even see a spiral in her dry hair at the 6:06 mark. I just think she finger combs her curls out: It's a serious rule of curly hair styling not to touch it while drying because it will cause frizz city. Also, type 3 hair is described as the type of hair that can get BIG when the curls aren't controlled. That's exactly what her hair does.

In this video she shows wash and go photos at the 1:44, 2:08, and 2:24 marks and it doesn't look like 4a at all IMO, it looks like voluptuous (aka big aka uncontrolled) 3b-3c: http://www.youtube.com/user/HairCrush#p/search/0/da8u_TxphJU

I beleive her hair, like BoBraz, can go from

this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&rls=en&biw=1191&bih=622&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1

to this:
http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...&rls=en&biw=1191&bih=622&tbm=isch&um=1&itbs=1

to this:
http://forum.blackhairplanet.com/me...o-not-touch-curls-until-dry-reduce-frizz.html

Depending on how you style it.

Anyway her hair is gorgeous.

Last edited:

Embyra

Wow! Cree Summer is definitely a Type 3. Her spiral curls are bigger than tight springs of a Type 4. Here's a pic of her hair:

Poohbearthey told me this as they were both trying to get me to SEE type 4 has many different ''types'' Cree Summer apparently is one of the different ''types'' of 4 :look:

greenandchic

I consider myself mostly type 4, yet Cree's hair looks a lot like mine in that photo in the bulk of it. Gaaaah! I give up on this hair typing business! :lachen::drunk:

Embyra

Embrya That's really funny because I always thought that the tighter part of my hair looked like Cree's and that was the type 4 part... :look:

EllePixiewhen i looked up Cree after i was confronted :look:
i read that andre put cree in his 3b group along with Cleo Laine.....i think andre prob would put all the 3c under his 3b section anyway

looking at oprahs hair who he puts in the 4 there is a big difference in the size of their curl

if he was to read all these hair typing discussions he would prob be like what is these *****s problem whats so hard to understand:lol: