• MBL

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • TBL+

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • WL

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

snoop

The scar that I have been using is just a regular degular satin scarf -- the kind that people refer to as a silk scarf. But these A.zon sellers have wised up and are labelling their stuff as "silk-like". So that's what I picked up.

1712245014965.jpeg

MzSwift

See, @snoop , thank you!!

This is why I always say I use a satin scarf bc I'm pretty sure it's not silk for the little bit of money that I'm paying for them. lol
I've used those types, like you've posted, for my HHJ.

The idea of silk imparting silk amino acids into my hair though has me thinking about getting the real deal. :love2:

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
See, @snoop , thank you!!

This is why I always say I use a satin scarf bc I'm pretty sure it's not silk for the little bit of money that I'm paying for them. lol
I've used those types, like you've posted, for my HHJ.

The idea of silk imparting silk amino acids into my hair though has me thinking about getting the real deal. :love2:
How do you even find genuine silk scarves? Errbody lying so much nowadays.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
How do you even find genuine silk scarves? Errbody lying so much nowadays.
I think you got to go to a high end store and check the tag.

Or, just go to a fabric store and buy a swath of silk fabric. I just may do this myself. I got grease on my glasses, on my sheets, on my collar, on my hoodie, on my chair at work, on my desk, and on my fingers. I might as well grease me up a silk scarf, in exchange for some silk aminos.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.

Or, just go to a fabric store and buy a swath of silk fabric. I just may do this myself. I got grease on my glasses, on my sheets, on my collar, on my hoodie, on my chair at work, on my desk, and on my fingers. I might as well grease me up a silk scarf, in exchange for some silk aminos.
When you were listing all the things grease covered, it reminded me of Bubba Gump and his many ways to cook shrimp :laugh:

GGsKin

Silk is my choice of fabric for my headscarves. And the bolded is just what I do lol. I also believe the silk imparts its goodness. It doesn't hurt that it's the material that keeps my hair feeling and looking it's best- maintaining the little hydration and moisture I do add to my hair, very well.

Chicoro

Silk is my choice of fabric for my headscarves. And the bolded is just what I do lol. I also believe the silk imparts its goodness. It doesn't hurt that it's the material that keeps my hair feeling and looking it's best- maintaining the little hydration and moisture I do add to my hair, very well.
Which shape do you get? What’s the amount you buy, please? Do you re cut it when you get the piece of fabric home?

For you, what do you mean exactly when you say, ‘ silk imparts its goodness’? Is that the moisturization you mentioned, or something else?

GGsKin

Which shape do you get? What’s the amount you buy, please? Do you re cut it when you get the piece of fabric home?

For you, what do you mean exactly when you say, ‘ silk imparts its goodness’? Is that the moisturization you mentioned, or something else?
@Chicoro I usually buy a square piece, whatever the width of the fabric is (usually approx. 137cm width). I then cut it again when I get home, by folding the piece to create a triangle. It is usually unhemmed, so even when I use pinking shears (these cut the material with a zig zag edge to avoid fraying), over time, albeit a long time- say easily more than 1 yr) the fabric may fray. Now that I have a sewing machine, I may try a kind of rolled hem on the next piece, just to give more longevity.

It may sound funny, but I too believe that its amino acids somehow can transfer to my hair and if not, I still prefer silk because performs the best when trying to maintain smoothness, or hydration of my hair.

Chicoro

@Chicoro I usually buy a square piece, whatever the width of the fabric is (usually approx. 137cm width). I then cut it again when I get home, by folding the piece to create a triangle. It is usually unhemmed, so even when I use pinking shears (these cut the material with a zig zag edge to avoid fraying), over time, albeit a long time- say easily more than 1 yr) the fabric may fray. Now that I have a sewing machine, I may try a kind of rolled hem on the next piece, just to give more longevity.

It may sound funny, but I too believe that its amino acids somehow can transfer to my hair and if not, I still prefer silk because performs the best when trying to maintain smoothness, or hydration of my hair.
Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Your hair is gorgeous. If silk scarves are part of your process for those results, I’m going to copy.

There is a fabric store in town. I never used or invested in for my hair because I didn’t want it to look like a discarded, grease spotted, fried chicken bag. I’ll figure out how to make it work!

GGsKin

Thank you for the detailed response. I appreciate it.

Your hair is gorgeous. If silk scarves are part of your process for those results, I’m going to copy.

There is a fabric store in town. I never used or invested in for my hair because I didn’t want it to look like a discarded, grease spotted, fried chicken bag. I’ll figure out how to make it work!
Thank you for the compliment @Chicoro

:lachen:Re: the bolded- I usually buy plain black silk for this very reason lol. I don't tend to add a lot of emollients or greasy products to my hair, and mine still can look a bit manky by the end of the week depending upon how I'm wearing my hair. Over the years, I have indulged in the occasional print, but they look even worse when they get dirty/ greasy.

Chicoro

Thank you for the compliment @Chicoro

:lachen:Re: the bolded- I usually buy plain black silk for this very reason lol. I don't tend to add a lot of emollients or greasy products to my hair, and mine still can look a bit manky by the end of the week depending upon how I'm wearing my hair. Over the years, I have indulged in the occasional print, but they look even worse when they get dirty/ greasy.

That was going to be my next question.

I was going to ask you what type of silk print did you get or do you tend to get. You beat me to the punch. I'll see if they have a black silk fabric. Right now though, I put on a plastic cap, then I put my cheap doo rag on top. But, now that I think about it, that doo rag be greasy- li-cious by the end of the week, too.

GGsKin

That was going to be my next question.

I was going to ask you what type of silk print did you get or do you tend to get. You beat me to the punch. I'll see if they have a black silk fabric. Right now though, I put on a plastic cap, then I put my cheap doo rag on top. But, now that I think about it, that doo rag be greasy- li-cious by the end of the week, too.
I've posted a pic of one of my silk prints before, so I happen to have a pic in my phone, for you @Chicoro

Attachments

• 2024-04-05_18.25.54.jpg
    2024-04-05_18.25.54.jpg
    155.8 KB · Views: 27

AbbBe

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural
Current Length: Shoulder Length
Goal Length: Bra Strap Length (Even Blunt Cut)

Plan to reach goal length:
Regimen:
  • Spritz Braiding Spray 3x weekly
  • Apply Oil on Scalp, Nape, and Edges
  • Use Satin Scarf & Wrap every night
Protective Styles:
  • Cornrow Braid (No added braiding hair)
  • Headband Wigs, Lace Wigs, etc.
Staple Products:
  • JBC Deep Conditioner
  • Mielle Shampoo
  • JBC Oil
  • Wild Growth Oil
  • Mielle Rosemary Mint Oil
  • African Royale BRX Braiding Spray
  • Pumpkin Seed Oil
Starting Pic: REQUIRED
Starting Picture Required:
Date (2/6/24)

Attachments

• Image-1.jpg
    Image-1.jpg
    507.6 KB · Views: 19
  • Image-1 (3).jpg
    Image-1 (3).jpg
    551.5 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:

AbbBe

Update :
Cornrow - 2/7/24
(Pic A (2))

Cornrow 4/7/24
(Pic B (3))

Also, I have been taking Supplements:
  • Vitamin C
  • MSM
  • Multivitamin (sometimes Prenatal)
  • Folic Acid
  • Powder Protein
  • Omega 3 (I'll start taking them again, starting today)

Attachments

• Image-1 (2).jpg
    Image-1 (2).jpg
    575 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_8310 (2).jpg
    IMG_8310 (2).jpg
    745.3 KB · Views: 19

Kandygurl

Y'all, my pj ways are back and I’m trying to get it under control!!! I’m almost like old times :( my most recent purchase was leave in, styling butter, and styling gel.

I like the products, but I haven’t even fully given chebe a chance, mostly because the smell is not flattering… this is something to wear at night and hope it wears down by morning! I guess I could try applying heavier scented products… sigh

I just have too much stuff!

Mapleoats

Current Length
: BSL/MBL?
Goal Length: WL
Plan to reach goal length: Keeping it Simple

Regimen:
  • Wash biweekly
  • Lightly dry hair with revair (still damp)
  • twist up my hair
If I'm in minitwists, I wear them for 4 weeks, and cleanse my scalp at the 2 week mark

Protective Styles:
  • Twists of all sizes, in buns and updos of all shapes :)

Staple Products:​
Cleansers:
  • Olaplex Moisturizing Shampoo
  • Olaplex clarifying shampoo
  • Melanin Haircare African Black soap shampoo
  • My DIY clay wash
Conditioners
  • JOICO k pak hydrator
  • MH plumping DC
  • I have a bunch of others in my stash that I rotate, and I'm trying to use some up.
Leave ins/ Stylers
- MH twist elongating cream
- a few others in my stash as well

Silk press in December

View attachment 494439
My hair yesterday
View attachment 494441View attachment 494443
alright I am back with my hair update. I have not strayed from this regimen at all, and it's working well for me.

I'm still working on ironing out my stretching technique for my chunky twists. I tried using braids to stretch before converting to twists the next day but find braids don't silken out my hair the way twists do. Revair is still my best friend and I use her almost every wash day to lightly dry and stretch my hair before twisting.

ill divide my hair into 6-8 sections, rev a section for 10 seconds then twist the section and allow it to finish drying in the twists.

also, learning to stretch my wash days to biweekly without much fuss and tangling has really been a game changer for me. My hair is so boring these days and I absolutely love that for me.

imma keep trucking a long until i hit my WL goal, then I will probably maintain there for 6 months - 1yr to thicken out my ends and get rid of splits once and for all. Once I am happy with my ends I'll keep growing until I can't grow no more lol.

Chicoro

Current Length: Shoulder Length
Goal Length: Bra Strap Length (Even Blunt Cut)

Plan to reach goal length:
Regimen:
  • Spritz Braiding Spray 3x weekly
  • Apply Oil on Scalp, Nape, and Edges
  • Use Satin Scarf & Wrap every night
Protective Styles:
  • Cornrow Braid (No added braiding hair)
  • Headband Wigs, Lace Wigs, etc.
Staple Products:
  • JBC Deep Conditioner
  • Mielle Shampoo
  • JBC Oil
  • Wild Growth Oil
  • Mielle Rosemary Mint Oil
  • African Royale BRX Braiding Spray
  • Pumpkin Seed Oil
Starting Picture Required:
Date (2/6/24)
The thickness and the density of those ends are magnificent. Wow!

Chicoro

Just dropping into give an April length check. I'll catch up on the thread and provide a proper hair update later :). I think if I stay the course WL might finally happen for me this year...

View attachment 495533
I'd say you got 3.5 inches TOPS, to reach that tiny waist of yours. Counting April, there are about nine (9) months in the year. So, that's .5 inches potentially per month growth which gives a maximum of 4.5 inches for the year. One inch is a LOT of wiggle room. You could possible grow 4.5 inches but you only need 3.5 inches to read your end of year goal for December 2024. You are in a great position to reach your goals.

Also, I noticed your hair is hanging straighter and heavier in the more recent picture. That's always a sign that the hair is well cared for, deeply moisturized and 'happy'.

Chicoro

@ItsMeLilLucky ,
You are always rooting, cheering on and supporting everyone else. How did your hair situation resolve? Did you make a decision yet about what you plan to do with your hair?