• MBL

Votes: 8 21.6%
  • TBL+

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • WL

Votes: 5 13.5%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
LOL @ItsMeLilLucky , you beat me to it!! :lachen:

That's so exciting, @Chicoro !! You can absolutely do it! The world is your oyster!

And I can't wait to see the pitchas. :cool2:

Thank you so much!

Hope it don't end up like my never-happened-talked-about-it-all-year-no-show-bun-drop of 2023.

I learned my lesson. I won’t be talking about NUTHIN’ happening at the end of 2024 with dis here hair of mine. What I get is what I get, if and when I get it, THEN, I’m gone be talking.

Last edited:

snoop

Sometimes my brain goes a mile a minute in terms of deciding what herbs I want to try on my hair.

I think that I'm going to re-introduce yucca root into my routine. It'll be one wash day that's shorter and I think that my scalp likes it. I need to read up on it a bit more, but I suspect that there's some healing properties in it as well.

Chicoro

Sometimes my brain goes a mile a minute in terms of deciding what herbs I want to try on my hair.

I think that I'm going to re-introduce yucca root into my routine. It'll be one wash day that's shorter and I think that my scalp likes it. I need to read up on it a bit more, but I suspect that there's some healing properties in it as well.
What drives, triggers or indicates which herbs you decide to try for your wash days. Why yucca and why yucca this wash day?

snoop

What drives, triggers or indicates which herbs you decide to try for your wash days. Why yucca and why yucca this wash day?

Honestly, it could be any and everything. Sometimes, I choose herbs because I'm inspired by a certain colour or colours. (Like, I will legit say I want a red mask or a green mask today. If I could get blue spirulina I'd have blue days as well.) Sometimes, I'll choose herbs because my hair needs something in particular, like moisture or strengthening or a bit of extra cleansing. Sometimes, I'll choose a combo because I want to create online content. I also try different herbs or combinations because I know other people haven't (en masse) (e.g. goats milk powder). I just like to create.

I'm currently developing a certain routine where I'm being more intentional about the kinds of herbs and when I use them. It still gives me room to create new recipies, but I can narrow down which part of my stash I'm going to dip into.

As for yucca root: I started using yucca after hunting down some non-shampoo/herbal options that are in use by other cultures. Yucca was easy enough for me to get, cost effective, easy to make and makes for a super fast wash day outside of the time it takes to boil the water and let it steep. I gave up clay for about a year, in favour of the yucca. Turned DH onto it as well and I swear it was arresting and maybe even healing his thinning crown. But then I wanted to try ayurveda again and decided that I could mix my herbs into the clay for one stop shopping. I hate doing two steps -- so no cleansing clay mask, THEN ayurvedic mask, when I can just do them both at the same time.

With this is mind, I am now designing my masks to perform certain duties, but I think that I'll use yucca once per month, because, who wouldn't want a 10 minute wash day?

Side note, I find that yucca leaves my daughter's hair feeling so soft after. She's got a different texture to mine. I'm sure that it's doing the same thing for me, but on days where I have a lot of frizz, the texture of the frizz hides the softness. Hand in hair right now, I only used moisturizer once after washing and my hair feels light and airy. Time to add some moisture so that I don't dry it out.

Kells

I'm In!
I shaved my head skin bald last January and started growing it back in April '23, so I'm ready to go!

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural
Current Length
: Neck Length
Goal Length
: SL
Plan to reach goal length
:
Bunning, Gentle Manipulation, & No Heat.
Regimen
:
-Daily Fenugreek tea
-3-4x a week oil scalp

-Weekly shampoo & DC.
-Weekly Onion/Clove juice prepoo
-Monthly Hendigo mask
-Monthly Ayurvedic mud mask.
-Water rinse as needed.
-LOCO as needed.

Protective Styles
:
Bunning.
Staple Products:
The Unbrush, Geritol, Biotin, 10-in-1 Hair Growth Oil
Starting Pic
: REQUIRED
I'm unable to attach my starting pic for some reason, so here's the link to view it > Starting point

Last edited:

Chicoro

I'm In!
I shaved my head skin bald last January and started growing it back in April '23, so I'm ready to go!

Current Length
: Neck Length
Goal Length
: SL
Plan to reach goal length
:
Bunning, Gentle Manipulation, & No Heat.
Regimen
:
-Daily Fenugreek tea
-3-4x a week oil scalp

-Weekly shampoo & DC.
-Weekly Onion/Clove juice prepoo
-Monthly Hendigo mask
-Monthly Ayurvedic mud mask.
-Water rinse as needed.
-LOCO as needed.

Protective Styles
:
Bunning.
Staple Products:
The Unbrush, Geritol, Biotin, 10-in-1 Hair Growth Oil
Starting Pic
: REQUIRED
I'm unable to attach my starting pic for some reason, so here's the link to view it > Starting point
Can't see your photo as a password is required for access. Not a problem, I'm just super nosy.

Chicoro

Honestly, it could be any and everything. Sometimes, I choose herbs because I'm inspired by a certain colour or colours. (Like, I will legit say I want a red mask or a green mask today. If I could get blue spirulina I'd have blue days as well.) Sometimes, I'll choose herbs because my hair needs something in particular, like moisture or strengthening or a bit of extra cleansing. Sometimes, I'll choose a combo because I want to create online content. I also try different herbs or combinations because I know other people haven't (en masse) (e.g. goats milk powder). I just like to create.

I'm currently developing a certain routine where I'm being more intentional about the kinds of herbs and when I use them. It still gives me room to create new recipies, but I can narrow down which part of my stash I'm going to dip into.

As for yucca root: I started using yucca after hunting down some non-shampoo/herbal options that are in use by other cultures. Yucca was easy enough for me to get, cost effective, easy to make and makes for a super fast wash day outside of the time it takes to boil the water and let it steep. I gave up clay for about a year, in favour of the yucca. Turned DH onto it as well and I swear it was arresting and maybe even healing his thinning crown. But then I wanted to try ayurveda again and decided that I could mix my herbs into the clay for one stop shopping. I hate doing two steps -- so no cleansing clay mask, THEN ayurvedic mask, when I can just do them both at the same time.

With this is mind, I am now designing my masks to perform certain duties, but I think that I'll use yucca once per month, because, who wouldn't want a 10 minute wash day?

Side note, I find that yucca leaves my daughter's hair feeling so soft after. She's got a different texture to mine. I'm sure that it's doing the same thing for me, but on days where I have a lot of frizz, the texture of the frizz hides the softness. Hand in hair right now, I only used moisturizer once after washing and my hair feels light and airy. Time to add some moisture so that I don't dry it out.
Thank you! This is fascinating. But why would I expect anything different or less than absolutely fascinating, from our very own Resident Genius!

apple_natural

Note to self:
I straightened a little of the front for a wig last week.

Today:
Forgot prepoo
Washed
DC. Added egg white
Detangled

Result:
My twists are really twisty. They're nice and chunky.

Plan:
Continue hair wraps
Continue weekly wash

Last edited:

Chicoro

Updated pic. I need to get a trim. I am aiming for bsl this year.View attachment 494419
From your current length in this photo, you are four (4) inches away MAXIMUM from bra strap. You have got a VERY do-able and very reachable hair goal for 2024! it looks like your head is leaning forward toward your chest in your photo, so that implies that you may only need to get three (3) inches. Even if you do a small trim, you are positioned in a great place to reach your goal! Good luck to you!

Mapleoats

Current Length
: BSL/MBL?
Goal Length: WL
Plan to reach goal length: Keeping it Simple

Regimen:
  • Wash biweekly
  • Lightly dry hair with revair (still damp)
  • twist up my hair
If I'm in minitwists, I wear them for 4 weeks, and cleanse my scalp at the 2 week mark

Protective Styles:
  • Twists of all sizes, in buns and updos of all shapes :)

Staple Products:​
Cleansers:
  • Olaplex Moisturizing Shampoo
  • Olaplex clarifying shampoo
  • Melanin Haircare African Black soap shampoo
  • My DIY clay wash
Conditioners
  • JOICO k pak hydrator
  • MH plumping DC
  • I have a bunch of others in my stash that I rotate, and I'm trying to use some up.
Leave ins/ Stylers
- MH twist elongating cream
- a few others in my stash as well

Starting Pic: REQUIRED
Silk press in December

IMG_9308.jpeg
My hair yesterday
IMG_9430.jpegIMG_9438.jpeg

Mapleoats

I'm under the dryer with my DC for today's wash day. Trying to use up this bottle of the blue joico treatment I've had for years... can't remember the name. It's not really my favourite, it's a little too thick for my liking and I prefer the joico k pak hydrator in the gold packaging. It melts in my hair better.

I've just discovered Klassically Kept on YouTube and I am loving her channel. Her regimen and hair philosophy is very similar to mine. And her hair is my ultimate goal length so that's reassuring for me haha :) if I just stay the course with my simple regimen I'll get there!

Tealhope

I'm under the dryer with my DC for today's wash day. Trying to use up this bottle of the blue joico treatment I've had for years... can't remember the name. It's not really my favourite, it's a little too thick for my liking and I prefer the joico k pak hydrator in the gold packaging. It melts in my hair better.

I've just discovered Klassically Kept on YouTube and I am loving her channel. Her regimen and hair philosophy is very similar to mine. And her hair is my ultimate goal length so that's reassuring for me haha :) if I just stay the course with my simple regimen I'll get there!

I implemented her advice of lifting and pinning/piling my hair on top of my hair and it was a game changer!!

snoop

I did a clay mask today with a bunch of hydrolyzed proteins in it. My hair felt so soft and smooth when I was rinsing it out. I like when I can actually feel a difference in my hair as I'm rinsing out a product (conditioner, protein treatment, etc.)

I also (micro) trimmed my ends last week. I'll do a proper trim next month.

LHCF_Feb_ClayWash.png

My goal for the next few months is not to fuss too much with my hair. I'm going to try to focus on better diet and see how it goes.

Chicoro

I did a clay mask today with a bunch of hydrolyzed proteins in it. My hair felt so soft and smooth when I was rinsing it out. I like when I can actually feel a difference in my hair as I'm rinsing out a product (conditioner, protein treatment, etc.)

I also (micro) trimmed my ends last week. I'll do a proper trim next month.

View attachment 494639

My goal for the next few months is not to fuss too much with my hair. I'm going to try to focus on better diet and see how it goes.
Your twists get longer and longer! You are definitely doing things right!

Kandygurl

Ok, Im:
daily cowashing either my cheapie conditioner or Dominican conditioner. I may stick with this until I finish this jar. I’m applying alot I mean ALOT of conditioner, added MT to my scalp, then apply the Miele over that. My hair looked like old times today! :love2:

Using the Miele pomegranate curl smoothie as a styling product in addition to packing my hair with conditioner. Trying to limit brushing… gonna try out finger combing and separating vs brushing. If I brush, will use denman.

My hair feels really soft!