• BSL

Votes: 11 22.9%
  • MBL

Votes: 9 18.8%
  • WL+

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
An early end of year check in, I'll share more photos later in December when I do my full silk press and probably clean my hemline, but here's a quick update for today.

I washed, DC, blew out and trimmed my hair today. I cut off between 1 and 2 inches, but it was needed because I haven't trimmed im since April. That's 8 months!

it's a good thing for photos otherwise I would be convinced my hair isn't growing. I was disappointed after my trim today thinking I just cut off all my progress this year. Then I took some photos and compared them with earlier photos and that is just categorically false.

First: April 1 2023. Second:Today (after trim)
View attachment 492733View attachment 492731

side by side comparison:
View attachment 492733View attachment 492731

I can see that after 1-2inched removed, I'm still atleast 2-3 inches of length gained in 8 months. That is fantastic progress. I'd say I went from just past APL blow out to BSL blow out.

I also have decided I will stop doing the pull test and only measure my hair in terms of its length in blow out. I know that my blow outs now are about 2 inches shrunken of my "true" length, but that's how I have my hair majority of the time anyway so my blown out length is the length I "experience" on a day to day (if that makes sense).

so shifting my goals in terms of blow out, my next milestone is a MBL blow out. That should be another 3inches for me. I hope to claim it by June 2024 :)
In your posterior median furrow, it looks like you have a tattoo, right? I ask because I am using that and your bra strap as a measure for the length of your hair.

• The entire hemline has dropped jointly, to a longer length.
  • The longest lengths in the back have dropped about 3 to 4 inches in length. This is AFTER your trim. So, that's a lot of length retained in 8 months.
  • The hair looks fuller in the April photo in comparison to the hair in the November 19th photo, but from 'my' experience, when hair starts to become MORE deeply moisturized the hair responds by 'falling heavier', as it is doing in the November photo. Thus, the hair hanging heavier, and not looking quite as fluffy or full is an indication to me that the hair is being bathed in moisture, beyond the surface and going deep into the hair strand. The result being healthier hair.
Based upon these photos, and the realizations and AHA's that you have communicated and shared recently about your hair journey, I believe that you will be able to claim MBL, with a blow out, BEFORE June 2024.

Congratulations!

Chicoro

I post what looks like the 'same' bun photo, but there are subtle differences.

This photo is from the end of the week. It is my first FULL week of having not used a brush or a comb
on my hair the entire week. I only used an old toothbrush lightly on my edges.

I was utterly, amazed that I could get and keep my bun smooth and neat with
ONLY my hands.

As I surmised, the ball of hair after this week's wash and condition was even
smaller than last week. Also, when I unloosened my braid, I was able to easily separate the
hair and the braid because there was less matting.

There was less matting because I had less breakage. My breakage was actively
induced by my grooming habits, from mechanical implements, specifically the
brush that I was using on my hair to smooth it WHILE it was in the bun, during the week.

I've come full circle with my bun in that I am learning to conscientiously replicate and maintain it
with the least amount of damage as possible. Hence, it's not :nono2: the same bun photo. :giggle:

Hair Nov 15th 2023.jpeg

Mapleoats

In your posterior median furrow, it looks like you have a tattoo, right? I ask because I am using that and your bra strap as a measure for the length of your hair.

• The longest lengths in the back have dropped about 3 to 4 inches in length. This is AFTER your trim. So, that's a lot of length retained in 8 months.
  • The hair looks fuller in the April photo in comparison to the hair in the November 19th photo, but from 'my' experience, when hair starts to become MORE deeply moisturized the hair responds by 'falling heavier', as it is doing in the November photo. Thus, the hair hanging heavier, and not looking quite as fluffy or full is an indication to me that the hair is being bathed in moisture, beyond the surface and going deep into the hair strand. The result being healthier hair.
Based upon these photos, and the realizations and AHA's that you have communicated and shared recently about your hair journey, I believe that you will be able to claim MBL, with a blow out, BEFORE June 2024.

Congratulations!
Yes I do! The end of my tattoo is what I consider MBL on my body. It is 3 inches from my currently length. And WL is about 2 inches below that point for me.

thank you for the kind words and observations. I certainly hope before June 2024 is possible too!

Mapleoats

I post what looks like the 'same' bun photo, but there are subtle differences.

This photo is from the end of the week. It is my first FULL week of having not used a brush or a comb
on my hair the entire week. I only used an old toothbrush lightly on my edges.

I was utterly, amazed that I could get and keep my bun smooth and neat with
ONLY my hands.

As I surmised, the ball of hair after this week's wash and condition was even
smaller than last week. Also, when I unloosened my braid, I was able to easily separate the
hair and the braid because there was less matting.

There was less matting because I had less breakage. My breakage was actively
induced by my grooming habits, from mechanical implements, specifically the
brush that I was using on my hair to smooth it WHILE it was in the bun, during the week.

I've come full circle with my bun in that I am learning to conscientiously replicate and maintain it
with the least amount of damage as possible. Hence, it's not :nono2: the same bun photo. :giggle:

View attachment 492735
I could never get tired of your same bun lol!! Gorgeous hair as always miss @Chicoro

Chicoro

@Chicoro your bun looks great! I too thought i needed to comb my hair every day to make it sleek but it really isnt needed

Also are you still baggying? I think i might need to return to the baggy and grease because this cold weather is making my hair dry!
Thank you so much. Don’t forget, I was inspired to make many of my changes because of YOU! Your buns are so sleek with no broken hairs.
Yes, I’m still bagging. I do it daily, everyday.

Mapleoats

@GettingKinky @Chicoro thank you for asking! To be honest, I have no "real" blow dry skills and so I rely on expensive cheat codes to get me there lol.

This particular blow out was done with the revair followed up with the Dyson airwrap firm brush. I don't need to follow up with the airwrap and I usually don't, but I wanted the sleekest possible blow out since I was planning on a trim after.

GettingKinky

@GettingKinky @Chicoro thank you for asking! To be honest, I have no "real" blow dry skills and so I rely on expensive cheat codes to get me there lol.

This particular blow out was done with the revair followed up with the Dyson airwrap firm brush. I don't need to follow up with the airwrap and I usually don't, but I wanted the sleekest possible blow out since I was planning on a trim after.
Interesting. I don’t have either of those tools. Just the dyson supersonic.
What products did you use before/after the blow dry?

Mapleoats

Interesting. I don’t have either of those tools. Just the dyson supersonic.
What products did you use before/after the blow dry?
I used the chi keratin leave in conditioner and olaplex no 6 bond smoother pre blow dry. After blow drying I added a bit of Melanin Haircare Twist cream and a dab of Shea Nilotica butter.

I'm just wearing it in a bun for now until I get a chance to put some medium size twists in.

Mapleoats

Here is my end of year check in. I pressed my hair earlier today. Photo on the left is from Feb 9 2023 and photo from the right is today Dec 17 2023 (excuse my part, I didn't comb it properly after pressing my hair which I do in 2 halves)

At the end of 2022 i felt like my hair was off track, but now at the end of 2023 I can readily see the progress I've made this year and feel like I'm on the right path to accomplish my hair goals.

I plan to still do a little trim in a couple days, but I won't take off more than 1/2-1/4 inch.IMG_9316.jpeg

snoop

Here is my end of year check in. I pressed my hair earlier today. Photo on the left is from Feb 9 2023 and photo from the right is today Dec 17 2023 (excuse my part, I didn't comb it properly after pressing my hair which I do in 2 halves)

At the end of 2022 i felt like my hair was off track, but now at the end of 2023 I can readily see the progress I've made this year and feel like I'm on the right path to accomplish my hair goals.

I plan to still do a little trim in a couple days, but I won't take off more than 1/2-1/4 inch

Your hair has grown a lot! I love the thickness, too!

I think that @Chicoro 's observations about your hair, from your blow out pics, are more obvious now that you've pressed it out. She has a very keen eye for these things.

snoop

Please forgive me if I've already posted this comparative shot.

LHCF_Compare_20192023.png

I know that 2019 wasn't last year, but I feel as though the 2019 shot represents what my hair looked like for a LONG time. My growth stalled, then broke, as I mentioned in post 208. I was looking through my camera roll a few weeks ago and came across the 2019 photo and wanted to see just how much my hair had improved. I was shocked because I didn't think that the change was this drastic. I think that most of this improvement started in changes that I made in November 2022 when I started taking supplements to address my vitamin deficiencies.

I can't comment too much on whether or not the colour has changed since lighting conditions can make a HUGE difference to my hair. However, the back centre area seems to be catching up quite nicely with the rest of my hair and my hair overall has grown a lot since then.

I won't be installing mini twist before the end of the year, so I'll just have to use the October picture to make the comparison to my starting photo.

January 2023 .... October 2023
View attachment 485987LHCF_MiniTwists_Oct2023.png

Chicoro

Please forgive me if I've already posted this comparative shot.

View attachment 493169

I know that 2019 wasn't last year, but I feel as though the 2019 shot represents what my hair looked like for a LONG time. My growth stalled, then broke, as I mentioned in post 208. I was looking through my camera roll a few weeks ago and came across the 2019 photo and wanted to see just how much my hair had improved. I was shocked because I didn't think that the change was this drastic. I think that most of this improvement started in changes that I made in November 2022 when I started taking supplements to address my vitamin deficiencies.

I can't comment too much on whether or not the colour has changed since lighting conditions can make a HUGE difference to my hair. However, the back centre area seems to be catching up quite nicely with the rest of my hair and my hair overall has grown a lot since then.

I won't be installing mini twist before the end of the year, so I'll just have to use the October picture to make the comparison to my starting photo.

January 2023 .... October 2023
View attachment 485987View attachment 493171
Shorter, middle of nape twists section pictured in Dec 2019 hair looks like it retained six (6) inches over the two (2) years and ten (10) month period up to Octo 2023. Good for you!

snoop

Congratulations!

@Chicoro This post

fifi134

I was expecting more hair retained over 8 months, but between a braid take down disaster in May and overall laziness in my first trimester, I'll take this. The first pic was in April, and I was just at the top of my bra. The second pic is today, and I'm at the bottom! The white line is where my waist naturally is. Hopefully I can claim waist length next year!

Attachments

• IMG_1737.jpeg
    IMG_1737.jpeg
    67.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5171.jpeg
    IMG_5171.jpeg
    42.7 KB · Views: 27

DVAntDany

IMG_1532.jpeg
This is my end of the year results. 1 is from last December. 2 is before I had my hair cut about 2 weeks ago. 3 is after my fiancé attempted to trim it later that day. 4 is the final cut after going to Ulta last week.

I started having serious breakage and incomplete splits/split ends after getting a sew-in installed around Halloween. It was too tight and I barely made 3 weeks with it in. The hairstylist was struggling with my hair after washing and blowdrying it. I felt the tangles as she attempted to braid it. I don't think I'll be having any professional style my hair anymore. I'll just stick to dry trims and that is it.

I'll be doing better this upcoming year.

snoop

I was expecting more hair retained over 8 months, but between a braid take down disaster in May and overall laziness in my first trimester, I'll take this. The first pic was in April, and I was just at the top of my bra. The second pic is today, and I'm at the bottom! The white line is where my waist naturally is. Hopefully I can claim waist length next year!

Your hair is so pretty! :drool: