• MBL

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • TBL+

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • WL

Votes: 5 13.9%

• Total voters

MzSwift

What ever happened to GHE/baggy challenges? Is anyone still doing that? I want to but maybe with just a tiny bit of moisture and then oil. Are there cons to this?

I started incorporating regular GHEing (full head baggying) last year and I believe it contributed to extra growth for me. I got just slightly more than my usual growth, nothing extraordinary. But it was a noticeable difference for me. I will continue it bc the reason I started doing it was to increase my moisture levels in my hair and it does a great job of that!

I GHE'd 3-4 times a week and did not do it on consecutive days. If I baggied overnight, then I took it off in the morning and allowed my hair to breathe for a day. If I did it all day, then I'd take the baggy off at night and allow it to breathe the next full day. I hope that makes sense.

I did experience mushy ends when I bun baggied 3 days in a row without removing the small baggy.

Before I GHE'd last year, I used to bun baggy at overnight 3-4 nights a week. I do feel that it protected and kept the moisture in my ends very well on its own.

snoop

Please don't quote the original post, but I've added my official starting picture. I'll take it down later this week.

My hair has really tight coils to it and still has to ability to shrink to the middle of my ears if I let it. I've found over the recent years, a regular pull test won't let me get enough stretch in and can hide a lot of inches for me. That being said, I think I'm finally past WL.

I'll try to get some pics doing the pull test next weekend.

MzSwift

@snoop

That's so fantastic to hear! Congratulations!!
I can't wait to see the pix!!

Lurking...

MzSwift

EDITED!!

I see them! I'm soooo happy for you!

I know you thought you didn't do a good job w your hair last year and also with a big move you had recently. But it goes to show that you've got enough good habits that you can still see progress even when you feel you have neglected your hair! I recall you mentioning this milestone and I'm so happy to see you've achieved it! CONGRATULATIONS!

Also, you don't have to remove the pull down pix do you? :prettyplease:

EDIT 2:
Please forgive me, I'm tired. I totally understand. But Please upload new pull down pix ASAP! I love seeing long type 4 hair - it's so inspirational!!

Last edited:

snoop

EDITED!!

I see them! I'm soooo happy for you!

I know you thought you didn't do a good job w your hair last year and also with a big move you had recently. But it goes to show that you've got enough good habits that you can still see progress even when you feel you have neglected your hair! I recall you mentioning this milestone and I'm so happy to see you've achieved it! CONGRATULATIONS!

Also, you don't have to remove the pull down pix do you? :prettyplease:

EDIT 2:
Please forgive me, I'm tired. I totally understand. But Please upload new pull down pix ASAP! I love seeing long type 4 hair - it's so inspirational!!

Thank you so much! I wasn't sure how risqué they were, but I can leave them up.

You're right, I thought I had been terrible with my hair, but I think that leaving it alone is really what it wants. I need to try to just put my hair in mini twists and then just leave it alone for as much as I can this year.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
@snoop

Those pull down pictures are marvelous. Your hair is a good four (4) to six (6) inches passed your waist, specifically that center section.

I would not say that those pictures are risqué. They are definitely very alluring in the sense that we get to see a slim body, running water and afro-textured hair against the back of a beautiful, brown skinned- body, hanging beyond a tiny waist.

Those photos have a tremendous amount of appeal. It's like getting a glimpse of a Goddess caught unawares. Embrace and own your fabulousness. Your pictures capture the beauty of you, exquisitely.

Last edited:

snoop

@snoop

Those pull down pictures are marvelous. Your hair is a good four (4) to six (6) inches passed your waist, specifically that center section.

I would not say that those pictures are risqué. They are definitely very alluring in the sense that we get to see a slim body, running water and afro-textured hair against the back of a beautiful, brown skinned- body, hanging beyond a tiny waist.

Those photos have a tremendous amount of appeal. It's like getting a glimpse of a Goddess caught unawares. Embrace and own your fabulousness. Your pictures capture the beauty of you, exquisitely.

Your post brought a smile to my face. Thank you!

classychic1908

Give me the DETAILS:
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural
Current Length: MBL
Goal Length: Hip
Plan to reach goal length: stay moisturized, just say no to detangling brushes, stay on top of Iron, minimize manipulation
Regimen: Henna monthly, clay washes
Protective Styles: buns, twists, wash and goes
Staple Products: aloe vera, Uncle Funky's Curly Magic, Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Starting Pic: REQUIRED

Kandygurl

Give me the DETAILS:
Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural
Current Length: MBL
Goal Length: Hip
Plan to reach goal length: stay moisturized, just say no to detangling brushes, stay on top of Iron, minimize manipulation
Regimen: Henna monthly, clay washes
Protective Styles: buns, twists, wash and goes
Staple Products: aloe vera, Uncle Funky's Curly Magic, Kinky Curly Curling Custard
Omg was that the problem?!? Detangling brushes?!?
I don’t recall that being a problem for me before, but thinking back, the longer my hair got, it seemed to tangle more and I would bring out the brush… aggghhh…

edited to add: if I’m being honest, I started to rush and not take my time detangling… tried different products because it seems the things that used to work, stopped!!! Oh and I texlaxed - wth was I thinking?!? Anyway, I experienced a terrible, terrible setback. I really messed up and now I’m in recovery mode. Most of the texlax has broken or I’ve snipped it. I still have several more inches to grow to even out my length :( I am holding off dying my hair as the difference in color really allows me to see how much I’ve grown in a year and what I will need to let go of.
:(

Last edited:

Kandygurl

I would love to join:

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Natural/ transitioning
Current Length: uneven
Goal Length: Full BSL all the way around my head
Plan to reach goal length: Keeping my hair moisturized, vitamins, water, massage, inversion
Regimen:
Cowash
Slow detangling/finger detangle
Loose updo
Massage/ MT or some type of growth aid
Moisturize daily or every other day
Protective Styles:
loose curly girl updo
Bun
Try to start exploring protective styles again (open to suggestions :) )
Staple Products:
Dominican conditioners
Revisit Aussie moist and this L’Oreal conditioner I used to use
Carols daughter Marguerite moisturizer (maybe the lotion moisturizer too)

Starting Pic:

Attachments

• IMG_1144.jpeg
    IMG_1144.jpeg
    50.1 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:

DVAntDany

Omg was that the problem?!? Detangling brushes?!?
I don’t recall that being a problem for me before, but thinking back, the longer my hair got, it seemed to tangle more and I would bring out the brush… aggghhh…

edited to add: if I’m being honest, I started to rush and not take my time detangling… tried different products because it seems the things that used to work, stopped!!! Oh and I texlaxed - wth was I thinking?!? Anyway, I experienced a terrible, terrible setback. I really messed up and now I’m in recovery mode. Most of the texlax has broken or I’ve snipped it. I still have several more inches to grow to even out my length :( I am holding off dying my hair as the difference in color really allows me to see how much I’ve grown in a year and what I will need to let go of.
:(
I guess it depends on which brush. The Felicia Leatherwood brush totally rips my hair out if I’m not careful. I’m better off with the Wet Brush (name brand). I agree being rushed is detrimental to the ends when detangling. I’ve given up doing my hair if I’m on a time crunch.

Kandygurl

I guess it depends on which brush. The Felicia Leatherwood brush totally rips my hair out if I’m not careful. I’m better off with the Wet Brush (name brand). I agree being rushed is detrimental to the ends when detangling. I’ve given up doing my hair if I’m on a time crunch.
I used to use the wet brush, I’m now back to Denman and my orange rat tail comb :lol:
The wet brush I had a few years ago was :love: but I moved and I cannot remember much about it:( I’m just going to be more mindful and take my time to baby my hairs, especially the broken ones.

Today I also decided I would try adding some MSM into water spray bottle and applying that to dampen my hair when I moisturize. I finished off or sealed with flaxseed oil.

apple_natural

Claw clip that doesn't get your curls tangled in the spring? I'm thinking some at TJ Maxx are looking large enough that they may work but idk
I figured this out. I actually had a solution. I have 2 prong wooden hair sticks. I like this much better than a claw.

So.

I have an idea.

I've upgraded my laziness. I've been wearing a satin lined cap all month. I've been sort of trying to figure out how I can wear my hair covered and feel comfortable. I like these caps and I don't go anywhere that often anyway. I think I want to keep this up. In the summer, I like satin scarfs but not super huge ones. I prefer a medium size. I tried it a little last summer to figure this out. All I need now is some earrings and a cute face :D. I'm growing into a routine of keeping my hair covered all the time unless I have some special event, which I do occasionally. In the case of special events, I'll wear my clip ins.

MzSwift

I figured this out. I actually had a solution. I have 2 prong wooden hair sticks. I like this much better than a claw.

So.

I have an idea.

I've upgraded my laziness. I've been wearing a satin lined cap all month. I've been sort of trying to figure out how I can wear my hair covered and feel comfortable. I like these caps and I don't go anywhere that often anyway. I think I want to keep this up. In the summer, I like satin scarfs but not super huge ones. I prefer a medium size. I tried it a little last summer to figure this out. All I need now is some earrings and a cute face :D. I'm growing into a routine of keeping my hair covered all the time unless I have some special event, which I do occasionally.
In the case of special events, I'll wear my clip ins.

This has actually been my personal challenge for the past two years. I keep trying to do wigs but I haven't really felt comfortable rocking them these past couple of years. So I've kept my hair under a satin skull cap which I wear a bandana or, a satin scarf or a knit cap over. And that's me almost everyday. I think I've seen a lot of success/retention with this. If you keep it up, I think you'll see a lot of retention as well. GL! :)

apple_natural

This has actually been my personal challenge for the past two years. I keep trying to do wigs but I haven't really felt comfortable rocking them these past couple of years. So I've kept my hair under a satin skull cap which I wear a bandana or, a satin scarf or a knit cap over. And that's me almost everyday. I think I've seen a lot of success/retention with this. If you keep it up, I think you'll see a lot of retention as well. GL! :)
Length lovers unite! There is always someone to support my length retention ideas here. Plus I just like having my hair covered for some reason.

X

By the way, I put some egg mixture on my hair a few days ago.

I didnt henna this month and I wish I did. Once a month henna is good for me. Maybe I'll do the egg again if I think I need it during a month... I should add gelatin. Egg, mayonnaise, honey and gelatin.

Last edited:

BlackRinse

Natural, Relaxed, Texlaxed: Texlaxed
Current Length: APL ?
Goal Length: MBL
Plan to reach goal length: 8 week sew-ins, eat whole foods, exercise, supplements
Regimen: texlax once every 6 months, wear hair out 1 month then 8 weeks sew in. Rotating this routine. Deep condition with heat weekly.
Protective Styles: Weave with frontal closure. Bun with draw string kinky curly ponytail.
Staple Products: My Ayurvedic Blend, Luseta Coconut Milk Deep Conditioner, Hooded Dryer.
Jan 26, 2024

Attachments

• Snapchat-1859967778.jpg
    Snapchat-1859967778.jpg
    266.1 KB · Views: 19
  • Screenshot_20240126_220917_Samsung Notes.jpg
    Screenshot_20240126_220917_Samsung Notes.jpg
    187.2 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:

snoop

I trimmed my ends today. I love the way my ends feel after a trim. I notice it while running my hands along my twists to moisturize. I don't even have to take off much.

I'm going to have to focus on my crown this year. I feel like it's thinning a bit? Not sure if it's age, tension, poor detangling, medication....but I don't like it. :nono: I either need to change my parts or wear my buns on top of my head for a while instead of my hair split down the middle and bunned in the back.

I'm also going to start adding an herbal oil massage into my routine.

mmeadows1

4b natural, APL
Better late than never...
I am natural.
Current Length: Just past SL
Goal Length: BSL
Plan to reach goal length: protectivewith loose buns.
Regimen:
Weekly wash and deep conditioner
Scalp massage
Daily jojoba oil on hair ends
Vitamins
Protective Styles:
Buns, faux pony, French braid with ends tucked in.
Staple Products: TGIN, redkin acidic bonding conditioner,

IMG_5572.jpeg

Kandygurl

I haven’t updated in a few days, but I’ve been doing pretty good. I’m back to cowashing daily and the shed hairs are so much less than they’ve been in a long time! I’m just using my cheapie conditioners and my hair seems to really be moving in the right direction and I’m so grateful!

Some days my hair looks great and some days it’s just like :look: Hoping to get major inches before summer… I can’t wait for my aggressive growth spurt, then I may just cut off the ends!
Happy growing ya’ll!

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
I am going for a length I have never ever seen on myself before: Halfway over my behind, or hair that reaches the middle of my buttocks. I have never ever grown my hair to that length before. So, why not?! That's about a good six (6) inches of retention.

I don't think I have ever retained six (6) inches within one year before. I'm open to new experiences. Why not give it a go.

ItsMeLilLucky

NotLucky no mo' just blessed.
I am going for a length I have never ever seen on myself before: Halfway over my behind, or hair that reaches the middle of my buttocks. I have never ever grown my hair to that length before. So, why not?! That's about a good six (6) inches of retention.

I don't think I have ever retained six (6) inches within one year before. I'm open to new experiences. Why not give it a go.
1707148394509.png