Great Grandma's Regimen

JJamiah

Oh wow my Great Grand Ma I have only seen pictures, :(

My Dad's mothers mother *DUh I could have said my Grandmothers Mother was an Indian (makes me laugh because when I seen her picture I was like :perplexed: whose indian picture did yall steal) Her hair was parted down the middle and in two ponys with very long beyond waist ponytails. She looked mad in her pic :(
My grandma on my dad's side hair was one third of her mom's.

My Abuelas mom had long hair and it was in a bun. Guess it was what you did when you didn't want it all in your face. Pics again. Never meant either great grandma :(

Last edited:

SuchaLady

We just called them balls in our house. My mama would put atleast a dozen in our hair daily with a barrette and ribbon on each ponytail to match.

glamazon386

Wow the answers are consistent! Well, let me add to the refrain. My grandma had hair between TBL and Classic Length. She washed and put it up in two buns, Princess Leia before there was a Star Wars, lol. Nothing complicated at all! My mom says she wore a wig whenever she had to 'dress up'. She only took it down at night to brush and then back it went.

It seems like wigging is pretty common with the grandmas. I wonder when they became taboo? Some people still freak out about wigs or assume that if someone wears one they must be bald.

LadyRaider

Don't think they used any special products, but my grandmother and my mom always had long hair and always kept their hair braided. And I had long hair until I went to college, because pretty much up until then I kept mine braided as well. (Didn't know what else to do with it.) Yes, I was wearing two pig tails as a senior.

Cherokee-n-Black

I find it so interesting that all these women with such long hair never wore it out. I'm not sure how I feel about that. Hmmm.... HL/TBL hair and wigs??? My DH says conflicting thoughts like that make his brain hurt. LOL I know what he means, I can't put those two together in my mind. Ladies in my family always wore their hair out and styled. For some odd reason, I'm the only one whose hair grew long. Still a mystery....

Amante

Ok y'all but how are we gonna be cute while we are on this "great grandma challenge" LOL

No, but in all seriously, how are we gonna spice up these PS?

-A

JayAnn0513

I make 30 look good!
Ok y'all but how are we gonna be cute while we are on this "great grandma challenge" LOL

No, but in all seriously, how are we gonna spice up these PS?

-A

Right now my plan is to wear a French braid or loose donut bun m-f and a braid out on Saturday's and Sundays.

angelgrl135

Oh wow my Great Grand Ma I have only seen pictures, :(

My Dad's mothers mother *DUh I could have said my Grandmothers Mother was an Indian (makes me laugh because when I seen her picture I was like :perplexed: whose indian picture did yall steal) Her hair was parted down the middle and in two ponys with very long beyond waist ponytails. She looked mad in her pic :(
My grandma on my dad's side hair was one third of her mom's.

My Abuelas mom had long hair and it was in a bun. Guess it was what you did when you didn't want it all in your face. Pics again. Never meant either great grandma :(

LOL @ THE BOLDED!!!! When I was little (2nd/3rd grade maybe)my mom showed me a picture of my great-grandmother she had just gotten restored, I rushed and opened my little history textbook b/c we had just done a chapter on Native Americans. I swore to my mom she was in one of the pictures!!!:lachen::lachen: I was like "mommy, Big Ma is famous!!" ROFL:lachen:

She had her hair parted down the middle in two looong braids. And she looked mad in her pic too!!

ETA:She lived to be 102 but passed before I was born.

Last edited:

Honi

There is no board.
I only remember her shampooing her hair in the sink (no special brand) and I think she put conditioner in it (I was young not really paying attention). Her hair type was 2 something/3 something. It was really silky and soft like cat fur. She was waist length but cut her hair shorter as she got older. She airdried in braids and would press it with some grease that came in a red cardboard like container with a metal lid (forget the name). After that she would roll her hair in those throwback pink sponge rollers.

My mothers grandmother had fairytail length hair. She told me she wore it in just one long braid. I wish I knew her regimen but I figure she didn't do much either.

cbanks67

My grandmother used to have hair to her butt but now its super short and thinning. She cut it very short years ago because she started working a lot but I think stress and poor upkeep are the latter results. She has very fine hair. There is a trend of a lot of hair abuse even with the naturals in my family would use a lot of heat daily and pull and tug at the hair a lot. So, I don't have a lot of inspiration from them and sometimes I get hated on bc of my care that I show to my hair.lol I'm pushing for mbl and I'm keepin it simple.

JJamiah

LOL @ THE BOLDED!!!! When I was little (2nd/3rd grade maybe)my mom showed me a picture of my great-grandmother she had just gotten restored, I rushed and opened my little history textbook b/c we had just done a chapter on Native Americans. I swore to my mom she was in one of the pictures!!!:lachen::lachen: I was like "mommy, Big Ma is famous!!" ROFL:lachen:

She had her hair parted down the middle in two looong braids. And she looked mad in her pic too!!

ETA:She lived to be 102 but passed before I was born.

awww, I wish I knew mine, I wasn't really told much, just showed some pictures.
I was blessed to know and bother, harrass one of my dear cousins who was 90-101 (I nagged my cousin for about 10 years LOL) I believe I nagged her something aweful. The little cousin would knock and go every darn morning "Hey, Whatcha doing?" she would ususally giggle and then go to her garden :) tell me to get her a few baskets and proceed to pull and pluck. She was a great green thumber LOL.

She always wore a Straw large brimmed hat. MY cousin Lauran in South Carolina :)

I miss those days!

cocosweet

Grandma kept her type type 3a-b hair short and used water and vaseline or Dixie Peach if it was around.

Big Ma kept her hair between SL and APL. She would wash, apply Royal Crown and press, plait it up. For church, she alternated between wigs and ye olde press n curl.

Last edited:

cocosweet

So how did we go from our grannies having hair to spare to folks believing we can't grow hair past *finger snap*?

Glamourstruckk

So how did we go from our grannies having hair to spare to folks believing we can't grow hair past *finger snap*?

*enter the age of relaxer & heat abuse*

Times were more simple back then Great Grandma (or Grandma for some). Didn't have all of that and wasn't doing so much to her hair. Wearing your hair out wasn't the norm like it is today.

Triniwegian

My grandma had HL type 2 hair and she always wore it in this intricate updo she had perfected over the years. I only saw her hair out while she was washing it with her natural soap which looked like jello, it's an all natural household soap which is very commonly used in Norway. That is all she ever used in her hair.
She used to comb her hair every morning with a silver metal comb before she put it back up in her updo.

cynd

My grandmother passed away recently one week after turning 101. For most of my life she had wavy MBL+ hair that she wore in a large bun at the nape of her neck. She wasn't one to give away her secrets and would never tell anyone how she made her fried chicken (which to this day is the best I've ever had) or what she used in her hair (a dark brown, smelly, greasy concoction that she mixed herself). I hope I have some of her (hair and longevity) genes. Nice thread.

HomesteaderDreams

My grandma had HL type 2 hair and she always wore it in this intricate updo she had perfected over the years. I only saw her hair out while she was washing it with her natural soap which looked like jello, it's an all natural household soap which is very commonly used in Norway. That is all she ever used in her hair.
She used to comb her hair every morning with a silver metal comb before she put it back up in her updo.

can you find out the name of that soap? or the recipe? this sounds like a breakthrough! thanks!!

FroFab

My maternal grandmother has apl hair that she gets pressed and rolled weekly. She mostly wears it in undos after the roller set she sports for church. My paternal grandmother has fine sl hair now but used to have HL when she was raising my fathers and uncles/aunts. It got shorter as she kept trying to relax it and it wouldn't take. She has silky, fine 2b-3a hair that is resistant to straightening and prone to fly aways. I need shellac to lay my hair smooth for just 30 minutes and have traced my fuzzy-fly aways to her.

DarkJoy

Bent. Not Broken.
both my maternal and paternal grandmas had long hair.

paternal had fine type 4b mbl. she pressed it with royal crown grease every saturday night for church the next morning. the rest of the time she cornrowed up under her wigs.

maternal had type 3 naturally honey colored hair. she only pressed and wore updos.

PureSilver

My maternal GG always wore small plaits and they were long. My faternal GG is half indian straight and very blacK had HL, like many other she wore a simple single braid after oiling it up.