Getting my edges to lay flat

GrowmeNOW

okay ladies, i am trying to hold out from a perm, but these nappy edges are getting to me:wallbash:. Really! jam, gel, NOTHING works, nothing.ugh. i just feel a hot hit mess right now. Can someone give me some advice on how to get things nice and slick...please:yawn:

Songbirdb

I'm 16 weeks (4 months) post relaxer in this pic This is what I do:

1. Add favorite condish rinse to hair and gather hair into a ponytail before rinsing.
  2. Leave hair the ponytail and let it air dry with a scarf after adding moistuizer, leave-in and hair oil.
  3. If edges aren't smooth, use 100% boar brush along with a little Eco non-alcohol gel and Pro Line Wave Keeper.

Girl I had my edges so tame that I could've went without a perm for alot longer, but I was so excited to try my Affirm Lye that I gave in. I know I could've went 6 months if I wanted to.

Dposh167

moisturizer/ castor oil / tie down with scarf

oh yea wave noveau / castor oil / scarf.....great combo for me atleast

almondjoi85

Jam didn't work? mmmm even after being tied down with a scarf? Sometimes I need to wet the boar bristle brush n use the jam then tie with the scarf...that's for the hard to handle naps i get around 6 weeks post:lachen:

GrowmeNOW

lol. yea jam didnt work...but that could be because i didnt tie it down with a scarf. I will be tring this tonight. Does this usually keep all day?

jazzysweet

I am transitioning and 14 weeks post wearing no heat protective styling. I have the same problem with the sides. I place a headband on my hair after I clip it up. I put the ends of the headband right behing my ears and it holds down the sides pretty well.

Songbirdb

Oh and another thing I did, I sprayed my edges really well with Sunsilk Therma Shine detangling spray.... then I added the pro line and eco and lightly brush. i never had a prob with my edges again after that.

Chicoro

5 Year Shea Anniversary: Started Dec 16th, 2016!
  1. Add favorite condish rinse to hair and gather hair into a ponytail before rinsing.
  2. Leave hair the ponytail and let it air dry with a scarf after adding moistuizer, leave-in and hair oil.
  3. If edges aren't smooth, use 100% boar brush along with a little Eco non-alcohol gel and Pro Line Wave Keeper.

Girl I had my edges so tame that I could've went without a perm for alot longer, but I was so excited to try my Affirm Lye that I gave in. I know I could've went 6 months if I wanted to.

I think Songbirdb has some great advice and tips. I have a tutorial in my fotki about laying down edges. With anything, all of it may not work for you, but maybe something in there may be helpful.

Songbirdb

I think Songbirdb has some great advice and tips. I have a tutorial in my fotki about laying down edges. With anything, all of it may not work for you, but maybe something in there may be helpful.

Awww that makes me feel good when someone with hair as lovely as yours says I'm giving good advice! Thanks

AsTheCurlzTurns

OMGosh!! I'm sooo guilty of doing this!!! I've done this for years when I didn't feel like relaxing my hair or was in a rush to go somewhere and best of all, when just waking up with some wild hair (picture Don King) and funky breath, and I'm gonna be late!!!! LOL and to see that Chicoro second'd what Songbird said, after reading a few bits on the boards about leaving condish in your hair without washing it out, I had assumed this was a:nono:!! Anything on condish, from what I've seen so far, was just co-washing, so I assumed it had to be rinsed out, and I felt like I was doing my hair wrong all them years LOL!! Welp, in my journey, now I KNOW it can still be done, and I won't git reprimanded bout it LOL

The Let's Jam stuff is pretty good too, but unfortunately I've got to find all new products, and have to say goodbye to my beloved products I've used for years when I was relaxed, unless someone says it can be used on natural hair STILL. Anyone know??

Songbirdb

OMGosh!! I'm sooo guilty of doing this!!! I've done this for years when I didn't feel like relaxing my hair or was in a rush to go somewhere and best of all, when just waking up with some wild hair (picture Don King) and funky breath, and I'm gonna be late!!!! LOL and to see that Chicoro second'd what Songbird said, after reading a few bits on the boards about leaving condish in your hair without washing it out, I had assumed this was a:nono:!! Anything on condish, from what I've seen so far, was just co-washing, so I assumed it had to be rinsed out, and I felt like I was doing my hair wrong all them years LOL!! Welp, in my journey, now I KNOW it can still be done, and I won't git reprimanded bout it LOL

The Let's Jam stuff is pretty good too, but unfortunately I've got to find all new products, and have to say goodbye to my beloved products I've used for years when I was relaxed, unless someone says it can be used on natural hair STILL. Anyone know??

I'm not exactly understanding what is being said here, I read it a few times and I'm still a little confused. From the sound of it, I think you think that I don't rinse the condish out. If so, thats not the case at all. I always rinse it out. I just put it into a ponytail using the condish. Then I rinse it out and part it and such to get it all out. I've never left condish in my hair without rinsing. If this is not what you're talking about then my bad.

AsTheCurlzTurns

Ohhhh my bad!!! So sorry about that Songbird, but what you stated is exactly how I construed your post was saying but dummy me needs to read S L O W LOL:lachen70: I had to go right back and re-read it again and I did see where you said in step 1, to put in ponytail BEFORE RINSING, I didn't read that far on. So sorry, well umm, I guess that means I did a BIG nono all them years then. Well I learn something new once again! Thanks so much for clarifying that for me. It was just me, not you.

LizLeila

I use American Crew Pomade. It is made for men, but it is as strong as gel, but is not hard. It also adds shine to my hair. It is a little pricey for the size, but it works like a charm for me. HTH. :yep:

Crystal

okay ladies, i am trying to hold out from a perm, but these nappy edges are getting to me:wallbash:. Really! jam, gel, NOTHING works, nothing.ugh. i just feel a hot hit mess right now. Can someone give me some advice on how to get things nice and slick...please:yawn:

I have THE product for you.. I'm a natural and this is the only product that works for me, it has amazing hold.. I can go all day and my nappy edges are still flat.

It's called Alterna Hemp Sheer Pomade. I've tried everything! Jam, Gel, Hair paste, this and that and I promise you this is what you're looking for. It's expensive ($17)but lasts a long time. I get mine off EBAY now when I can find it in bulk.. It comes in an Orange Tube and is 3 oz. I believe they just came out with a 2 oz jar that you have to dip into(i've never tried that one)

My edges are a big problem because I sweat at night so every morning they're all napped up but this lays it right down and holds it through out the day.. It's not a hard, flaky hold either.

frankie

Dab a little water on the area you want to lay down, dab on your gel (I've been using the Clear Fantasia IC gel), brush hair with boar bristle brush in the direction you want it to lay, apply scarf for at least 10 minutes.

I do this before I get into the shower and leave the scarf on until it's time to leave the house...works like a charm...and I'm natural!

HAIRapy

SuperDuper Member
Tie your hair up with a silk/satin scarf after you put the product in it to lay it down. You could probably try just about any product that the ladies answering are using to slick edges down, but the effect won't be right if you don't tie it down, especially if you have a lot of new growth. Atleast that's how it is for me. I can put anything on, but it just won't lay right if I don't tie it down for awhile.

~~HoneyComb~~

Fantasia IC gel is what I use to lay my edges down, and they stay layed down all day without having to tie my hair down with a scarf.

Songbirdb

Ohhhh my bad!!! So sorry about that Songbird, but what you stated is exactly how I construed your post was saying but dummy me needs to read S L O W LOL:lachen70: I had to go right back and re-read it again and I did see where you said in step 1, to put in ponytail BEFORE RINSING, I didn't read that far on. So sorry, well umm, I guess that means I did a BIG nono all them years then. Well I learn something new once again! Thanks so much for clarifying that for me. It was just me, not you.

LOL! Its cool. I probably could've worded it better.

Luxurious12

You can also try "Water-Wax" by Redken. My stylist who is also natural uses this in my hair all the time. I bought it because I loved how well it worked. Some waxes are too thick and leave a residue, but this does not and works great ande it wont break your hair off like gel can. Good Luck!:yawn: