***Get an inch every month 2011 challenge anyone?***

I am currently SL and natural. 4a/4b I think. Not sure about the way I measured my hair. But from the front of my hair line to the back and end of my hair I got 19 inches. If someone can help me measure better that would be great!

Ok here are two pics I took yesterday after I flat ironed.

I am going to continue to take my vitamins- Biotin and MSM
use sulphur oil on my scalp weekly
moisturize with rosewater and glycerin
try to flat iron and blow dry less
wear more protective styles.
Pray like mad I get an inch a month!!!:grin:

Attachments

• 12-31-10.2.jpg
    12-31-10.2.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 26
  • 12-31-10.jpg
    12-31-10.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:
I updated with more pics but I didn't get any measurements because DH has been sleeping all dang day!

I got my Bee Mine Serum and applied it to my scalp and massaged it in...then I applied BM Luscious Moisturizer and Bee Hold Curly Butter before doing my hair in bantu knots! I am so excited! Feels good to expect great things from my hair LOL I do have to admit that I don't really care for the Strawberry Kiwi scent of the BM Growth Serum :nono: But hey, I'll make the sacrifice for increased growth :yep: Plus, I already paid for that bad boy, and I will use every drop :lachen: :lachen:

picture.php
I would like to join if it is not to late.

Hair type: 3c mostly 4a
Current length: Shoulder lenghth (will provide measurements later)
Other challenges: Cowash 2011, Bunning 2011
Vitamin Regimen: Biotin 10,000 mg, Msm 1,000, Gelatin 1,300 mg 3 weeks then DE 1 week this is in conjuction with my multi vitamin and vitamin c.

Current Hair Regimen

Cowash 1-3 days a week
Bunning 5 days a week
Wear wash and go 2 days a week
Apply castor oil to length of hair atleast 2 times week
Henna treatments atleast every 2 weeks
Protein used as needed
Apply castor oil, sulfur, horsetail mix daily

I put my hair in a weave yesterday:gorgeous:, I hope to keep it in to protect my ends and my hair in this cold UK weather.
Plus I'm going on holiday in a fortnight.:yay:
So I'm on route to an inch by the end of this month.
I plan to keep my hair moist under my weave with my rosewater, glycerine & natural oils mix.

Starting Length: Almost APL
Hair: Relaxed (no-lye), 4b
Growth rate: 1/2-inch a month
Regimen: Wear kinky twists/rope twists until December 2011.

I am going to incorporate Ayurvedic rinses into my hair regimen although I am in twists by using heavily diluted/strained rinses in my hair once a week. I will add 1/2 teaspoon of each powder to a gallon of water, then strain the mixture.
  1. Clean hair with Ayurvedic rinse (aritha, shikakai, neem). Leave in for 10 minutes.
  2. Treat hair with Ayurvedic rinse (henna, brahmi, brinaraj). Leave in for 10 minutes.
  3. Condition hair with Ayurvedic rinse (amla, methi, hibiscus). Leave in for 10 minutes.
  4. Run warm water through my hair until to completely rinse.
  5. Deep condition with Aphogee 2-minute Reconstructor for 30 minutes.
  6. Airdry.
  7. Spritz hair with aloe vera nightly.
  8. Full baggy my hair with shower cap before bed.
What are you going to do that you don't normally do now to maximize your growth next year?
  • No relaxer for a year
  • Twists for a year
  • Ayurvedic rinses
Diet and Dietary Supplements
  • take my vitamins daily
    • MSM w/Vitamin C
    • Biotin w/b-complex
    • chlorella w/green smoothie
    • Evening Primrose Oil
  • drink at least 64oz of water a day
  • eat a salad every day
  • cut out all meat, except fish
  • no more soda or sugary juices, only 100% fruit juices and tea
  • no fast food, fried food, pre-packaged foods (snack machine)
  • minimize junk food, sweets/sugary foods, and high-sodium foods
Health
  • read my bible every morning and night
  • exercise at least four times a week
  • sit in a sauna four times a week (15 minutes sessions)
  • get adequate rest
  • get rid of all stress
What do you think will be your biggest challenges to getting 1 inch a month and how will you over come that? Consistency! I will try my best to keep up with it until it all becomes second nature. Hopefully this will allow me to grow 1 inch a month and retain it all!

Your hair is so pretty! The pic u attached is my goal length!

Ok so I def wanna join this challenge! I may be a lil too ambitious but my goal is to (once again) make BSL via 1 inch/month. I am currently 6 months post--trying this transitioning thang again. Not sure of my texture--maybe like 4a? My current length is barely shoulder length--i think. I plan to trim my hair 1x every 6 months (2x a year). My current length is 10 inches (when parted and measured from midline). I will measure my hair once every 3 months--hoping to achieve a 3-inch gain.
What's your regimen? I'm going to rotate my weekly styles as such:
Week 1: Wash and Flat-Iron (Baggy and/or cross wrap @ night)
Week 2: Rollerset
Week 3: Bun (Baggy at night)
Week 4: Bun (Baggy at night)
Week 5: Daily Cowash: (Braid outs and WNGs)
Week 6: Daily Cowash: (Braid outs and WNGs)
**Henna/Cassia and Indigo 1x every 6 weeks**
What Products are you using? I'm going to rotate product lines every 3 months to see which are most effective. I just took inventory and will be trying to use my current stash of conditioners, heat protectants, etc..Some of my staples thusfar are: NTM leave in, NTM daily conditioner, CO, Hot 6 Oil, Cantu Leave In, ORS replenishing pack.
What are you specifically doing to achieve 1 inch/month? STOP CUTTING MY HAIR! And I don't mean trims..Whenever I get stressed out, I CHOP (with kitchen shears nonetheless lol)--gotttttta stop doin that lol! I also MUST try to stick to my reggie. I plan to check in with ya'll atleast 1x/week in order to keep myself focused and on track :yep:
HHG ladies :-*
Please include a Starting pic:

Jan 1, 2011; flat ironed hair; Length= 10 inches when parted from midline.
picture.php

Jan 1, 2011. NG (6 months post relaxer) ; Wet, naked hair
picture.php

Last edited:
Well I was finally able to get in touch with my MIA stylist to braid my hair so hopefully by this time next week, I'll have my cornrows done :woot:

Just checking in to say, keeping up with my reggie and have started to work out 2 or 3 times a week. I washed my hair yesterday and put it back in braids under my wig, going for a 4 week stretch again...I need to start getting and retaining some growth now.

So, just had my breakfast which included 3 eggs (1 whole, 2 whites). And took my vitamins-Nature's Plus Multi, 5mg Biotin, and 400mcg folic acid.

I'm still trying to brainstorm on anything else I could possibly do. maybe eat more veggies? Something I need to do anyway. Maybe make a like a vegetable omelette for breakfast.

I'll be exercising in a few hours.

I would love to join this challenge. I recently BC'd in Nov, currently 17 months post relaxer with only 7 inches of growth :sad:. I guess you could say I NEED this challenge. My goal is to be at 12 inches by June... I hop that's not too unrealistic.

Measurement: 7 inches
Starting growth rate: .41 inch p/month
Hair Type: 4a, extremely thick & dense, but I LOVE it!
What I’m doing differently?: Scalp massages nightly, topical sulfur mix every other day, MSM and Biotin everyday.

I’ll be back with pics!

Attachments

• 036.jpg
    036.jpg
    351.7 KB · Views: 38
  • 038.jpg
    038.jpg
    473.7 KB · Views: 37
  • 050.jpg
    050.jpg
    300 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
I just made a sulfur based salve for my scalp today out of spices and oils to add to my Bootcamp 2011 regimen. I am so tempted to join this challenge. But I need to try this stuff out first:spinning:.
If I notice an inch(or very close to it) by Feb 10th, I'll come back and join.
Good Luck and HHG ladies!
*oh, and increasing my water intake...*

Hey ladies! I posted this in another challenge thread, but it is so relevant to this one too :( I am so ready for this challenge! I need some supernatural growth in the new year LMAO I got my hair flatironed yesterday at the shop and was sooo disappointed bc I only have 3-3.5 inches of new growth after 6+ months of transitioning! I have to step up my hair game because at this rate, I'll be transitioning forever! My hair used to grow at a faster rate (.7-.9in/mo), so I'm really bummed I need to figure out a way to move this journey along because I'm getting discouraged! I don't know what I am doing wrong? It grew faster in braids, but I didn't like them that much...advice on the best PS to use for faster growth/retention? I am currently alternating twistouts and flat-ironing, but I am doing away with heat in 2011 (no more than 4x all year)...I hope this helps!

Also, the stylist cut off more in the front than I wanted so my bob isn't angled anymore SMH I give up with hairdressers! They are not right...this is the 2nd time I didn't get the haircut I really wanted & I went to 2 separate stylists I already had been to SMH Now I just have a plain bob :nono: First two pics are original cut, the 2nd two pics are yesterday's cut :sad: I am open to any suggestions that will get me to the inch a month mark...I just want to be natural already and be done with stylists FOREVER! My sublimed sulfur and Bee Mine serum are in shipment to me, but I would love to know the most effective method of sulfur application!

This is off topic- so sorry. I love your hair! 6 months post? Can u pm me how you've managed that?

Good luck, ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

Tweaking my regimen:

1. Cowash once a week/ as needed; shampoo (to clarify) as needed/ once a month

2. I have been wearing kinky twists most of '10 (only straightened twice--Thanksgiving and Christmas). Now that I've grown out my (5-6 inches of) heat damage, I plan to wearing regular twists, twist outs, etc. to get to BSL. I will twists on dry hair, leave them in for a week or two (max), then wear twist outs and repeat.

I may also do braids and braid outs, but I don't love how braids look on me... an suggestions for PSs would be appreciated!!!

I have attached pics of twists I put in a few nights ago:

Attachments

• Finished.JPG
    Finished.JPG
    207.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Twists.JPG
    Twists.JPG
    206.4 KB · Views: 31
  • Twists (2).JPG
    Twists (2).JPG
    209.3 KB · Views: 31
I am trying to keep up with my plan, but today I got my hair dyed black, cause those grays were commin in, and I flat ironed and trimmed it. Here is a pic. No more trims for at least 6 months for me.

Attachments

• 01-12-2011 just flat ironed and trimmed 2.jpg
    01-12-2011 just flat ironed and trimmed 2.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 32
I'm pretty much on the same regi but trying to see what adjustments I need to make. So far everything is pretty much going fine. HHG ladies

I've been exercising 3 to 4 times a week and the beehive braids i put in 2 weeks ago are getting really loose I hope it means what I think it means.I've also starting taking spirulina and aloe vera with my multi and biotin so hopefully i get the added boost.

I realize that I have not been getting an inch a month. A girl can dream right? Well, with all the growth aides, no heat and bunning as my protective style that I have been doing, I have only gotten about a half an inch in the last two months. I guess I am a slow grower. I am doing my best to retain my length but I can't think of any way to speed up my growth beyond what I am doing.

Thanks for posting ladies. I just got back to the US, so I'm a bit out of it. I will be getting back on track starting this weekend before school next week.

Okay, so I just ordered my silk amino acids, scalp growth stimulate oils, ceramide, and steamer. (I've been doing my research). I'm soo serious about this HHJ. :grin:

I just took out my twist extensions, will do a protein treatment before my next installment this weekend (I already bought the hair). I'm doing them myself now because I don't like how stylists treat my hair and it's cheaper. [protective style check]

I trimmed my hair in Dec, and didn't measure. So I'm not sure if I got an inch, but I wasn't really trying to.

I will take a picture this weekend of my current length, get back into the gym and healthy eating, drink my water, take my vitamins, sleep, etc etc. And implement the new product methods I'm about to put in my siggy.

How are you ladies doing? I'm a bit late because of travels/school/holidays, but hopefully I will have everything by February and I can fully test my methods on March 1.

*considering some black castor oil, but we'll see.

Checking in: I can't measure how much growth I got thus far since I am in a sew-in but when I take it down at the end of February sometime, I will make sure I document everything

I will be doing a length check the weekend of February 4, that will be a month since putting in my braids (under my wig). I plan to redo them every four weeks myself. I'm doing scalp massages at least 3 to 4 times a week and will steam every two weeks. Reading thread daily for ideas and updates.

Checking in: I can't measure how much growth I got thus far since I am in a sew-in but when I take it down at the end of February sometime, I will make sure I document everything

Ijanei this may sound like a silly question but how do you measure your new growth? Last night my DH looked at me like I was headed to the loony bin because I had a tape measure trying to measure from the root to the demarcation line. I have seen the shirts with measurements on them but I'm wondering how to measure accurately with new growth shrinkage.

Thanks!

Back