Gel users!! Any gel out there w/o parabens??

*~Mocha~*

ok I've done my research and wanted to know why parabens are bad. I've found thAt they are linked to breast cancer. So I'm trying to stay away. Every gel I see contains parabens. I love eq elastas conditioning glazes gel and the clear regular gel. I'm looking for smething real similar to qp..

I'm on my iPhone and the search function doesn't work.. I'm hoping someone can help.. I'm transitioning and my hair NEEDS gel. Natural gel!

Giovanni's - Ulta is the only place I know but the search engine is replete with more places.

Aloe vera gel - Most drug stores (CVS, Walmart.. you name it) and health food stores too.

Giovanni's is paraben-free
You could also try aloe vera gel.

If you are talking about Giovanni's L.A. Natural Styling Gel then it does contain parabens. I thought about purchasing it last night from vitacost but I saw 2 parabens in the ingredients.

Here it is from vitacost website:

Ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water) with Rosemary¹ (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle¹ (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme¹ (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile¹ (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary¹ (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender¹ (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf¹ (Tussilago Farfara), Yarrow¹ (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow¹ (Malva Sylvestris), Horsetail¹ (Equistetum Arvense) Oil, PVP/VA Copolymer, Soybean¹ Protein (Glycine Soja), Hydroxyethylcellulose (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived).

There is a vid on youtube where a member makes her own gel with jojoba oil, aloe vera gel, glycerin, and a thickener(Xanthan gum).

I made some last night minus the glycerin and gum.
I used a little honey instead which is also a humectant. I am waiting on my glycerin shipment and looking for a reasonably price X gum.

Anyway I used it on my DD and myself as we are both transitioning and the shine and soft hold that it gave is fabulous. I can't wait to make it properly. I am extra happy that the ingredients are natural.:grin: I also stored it in the fridge.

Chiming in on Aubrey Organics B5 Gel. You can get this gel at the Vitamine Shop as well as Whole Foods.

I use either aloe vera gel or
ECO styler setting gel. You can get this at any Sally's for like $3.00 for the 320z

a9b2_1_sbl_7350_1.JPG

Here are the ingredients:
Ingredients:
Water, Carbomer, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, PVP, Glycerin Triethanolamine, Sodium Hydroxymethylglycinate, Polysorbate 20, Tetrasodium EDTA, Fragrance

My jar does not show the HBW green lettering, but it is the same.

Aubrey's Organics B5 gel - my daughter loves it.

ac

Great ingredients.

Sometimes you have to check for "natural" products that contain fragrance since "fragrance" can contain some of 2,000 harmful ingredients including parabens. Fragrance is not regulated.

This product contains none. I may have to buy this the next I am in the Vitamin Shoppe.

If you are talking about Giovanni's L.A. Natural Styling Gel then it does contain parabens. I thought about purchasing it last night from vitacost but I saw 2 parabens in the ingredients.

Here it is from vitacost website:

Ingredients: Aqua (Purified Water) with Rosemary¹ (Rosmarinus Officinalis) Oil, Nettle¹ (Urtica Dioica) Oil, Thyme¹ (Thymus Vulgaris) Oil, Birch Leaf (Butela Alba) Oil, Chamomile¹ (Anthemis Nobilis Flower) Oil, Clary¹ (Salvia Sclarea), Lavender¹ (Lavandula Angustifolia), Coltsfoot Leaf¹ (Tussilago Farfara), Yarrow¹ (Achillea Millefolium) Oil, Mallow¹ (Malva Sylvestris), Horsetail¹ (Equistetum Arvense) Oil, PVP/VA Copolymer, Soybean¹ Protein (Glycine Soja), Hydroxyethylcellulose (plant derived), Tocopherol (Vitamin E), Citric Acid (corn), Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Grapefruit Seed (citrus derived).

Oh wow, I've never used it, but I assumed it was because all their other products are paraben-free.

I use Aubrey's b-5 and Aubrey's ginkgo leaf and ginseng root hair gels and aloe gel by Ohm. I just started using gel a few months ago and have bought and discarded a few in my quest for one with a soft hold, natural ingredients and that did not leave my hair hard: the Ohm (www.goingohm.com) is my favorite, followed by the Aubrey ginseng and then the b-5.

Last edited:
Naturelle Aura Hypo-Allergenic Styling Gel

Ingredients: water, polyquarternium-4, hydroxyethylcellulose, cetrimonium chloride, glycerin, lavendula hybrida oil, aloe barbadensis leaf juice, arnica montana flower extrct, urtica dioca (nettle) extract, cocos nucifera (coconut) oil, panthenol, benzophenone-4, laureth-23, citric acid, tetrasodium EDTA, cananga odorata flower oil, citrus aurantium bergamia (bergamot) fruit oil, geranium maculatum oil, DMDM hydantoin, methylchloroisothiazolinone, methylisothiazolinone.

Mandarin Magic Ginkgo Leaf & Ginseng Root Hair Moisturizing Jelly

INGREDIENTS: Water, Panthenol (Vitamin B-5), Aloe Vera Gel, Tragacanth and Gum Arabic Blend, Ginkgo Leaf, Ginseng Root, Chinese Magnolia Blossoms, Chinese Angelica, Chrysanthemum, Earth Smoke, Morus Root, Mandarin Orange Peel, Aubrey's Preservative (Citrus Seed Extract, Vitamins A, C and E).

Lily of the Desert Aloe Vera Gel

Ingredients: Certified Organic Aloe Vera Gel (99.5%), Carrageenan (Thickening Agent). Less than 1% of the following natural, food grade sources: Citric Acid (oxidation inhibitor), Potassium Sorbate (mold inhibitor). Other Ingredients: Lily of the Desert Organic Aloe Vera Gel contains the following naturally occurring nutrients: Amino Acids, Minerals, Enzymes, and Vitamins.

Last edited:
Back