Twist-out....I finally got it right!

Ltown said:
Very Pretty! Pokahontas, did you do the twist on dry or wet hair?

Soaking wet hair and I forgot to include that I put a perm rod on the last couple inches.

Thanks so much ladies!

Sent from my iPhone using LHCF

newgrowth15 said:
Lovely results. Did that gel leave your hair crunchy at all? I'm searching for a gel that provides the hold I need without making my hair feel dry and crunchy.

It gives a hold but not crunch at all. Be sure to put a moisturizer under it though. My hair felt very soft but had hold. I wasn't expecting it to last a day but I was pleasantly surprised.

~~HoneyComb~~ said:
Your twist out is absolutely gorgeous!!!

Gel is what helps me to maintain my twist outs. I've tried without and the definition wasn't there.

Thanks! ~~HoneyComb~~ I've always admired your twist-outs! I hope you don't mind me asking your process and what products you use? How long do yours last and how many twists so you do? TIA

It's the end of the third day and it's holding up pretty well. A little frizzy in some spots but not bad. I am so excited! I just hope u can get these results again.

Attachments

• image-147536085.jpg
    image-147536085.jpg
    267.6 KB · Views: 49
  • image-1927939345.jpg
    image-1927939345.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image-4227496974.jpg
    image-4227496974.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 48
  • image-3074770094.jpg
    image-3074770094.jpg
    470.2 KB · Views: 51
Thanks! @ I've always admired your twist-outs! I hope you don't mind me asking your process and what products you use? How long do yours last and how many twists so you do? TIA

Thank you!! :kiss:

After I cowash (cone-free conditioner) my hair (I wash it once or twice a month with sulfate free shampoo, scalp only--also, I wash in twists, helps keep my hair from tangling too much) I apply a mixture of aloe vera gel, glycerin, and a little jojoba oil.

Like I said, I've tried to do it with conditioner only and I don't get good definition.

I usually have about 17 twists in on my head. I wear the style for a week before rewashing. I retwist a day or two after the wash, that really helps set the definition for me. After that, I will only do the front sections as needed--the back of my hair, I band at night with ouchless bands and tie up with a satin cap.

~~HoneyComb~~ said:
Thank you!! :kiss:

After I cowash (cone-free conditioner) my hair (I wash it once or twice a month with sulfate free shampoo, scalp only--also, I wash in twists, helps keep my hair from tangling too much) I apply a mixture of aloe vera gel, glycerin, and a little jojoba oil.

Like I said, I've tried to do it with conditioner only and I don't get good definition.

I usually have about 17 twists in on my head. I wear the style for a week before rewashing. I retwist a day or two after the wash, that really helps set the definition for me. After that, I will only do the front sections as needed--the back of my hair, I band at night with ouchless bands and tie up with a satin cap.

Thank you! Good idea to wash in twists! This is something I need to try. I'm so proud of myself for sticking with my new finger combing only regimen (didn't think I could do it), the twists would really help me not re-tangle my hair.

I really need to work on having my twists look good enough to be worn out as a style. I want that so bad but my hair is fine an I feel my twists look too scalpy :-( It would really help because since my twists take soooo long to dry I can still go out and about while waiting for them to dry. Thanks for your reply Honeycomb!

Thank you! Good idea to wash in twists! This is something I need to try. I'm so proud of myself for sticking with my new finger combing only regimen (didn't think I could do it), the twists would really help me not re-tangle my hair.

I really need to work on having my twists look good enough to be worn out as a style. I want that so bad but my hair is fine an I feel my twists look too scalpy :-( It would really help because since my twists take soooo long to dry I can still go out and about while waiting for them to dry. Thanks for your reply Honeycomb!

Pokahontas, regarding the bolded, I wish I could wear my twists out as a style too, but my parts show too much. When I try to do really small twists, the twists look scraggly. Medium twists looks the best, but then, too much scalp showing :nono:

Also, I don't know if you have this problem, but after a day, my twists get frizzy. My DDs hair is the same, in less than a week of wearing her hair in twists it looks as though they've been in for 2-3 weeks, the frizz is so bad. So retwisting helps with the frizz and makes it look more polished.

I think I might have to try adding gel to my twist to help keep the frizz at bay. I always use conditioner never considered using gel because I thought it would be crunchy.

I use gel too - with some kind of moisturizer/butter underneath. You are making me wanna do a twist out tomorrow! Beautiful!

Great results! :) And your hair held up really well after day one. Getting second day hair is still something I struggle with. Even after all the years I've been natural.

guess i'll go out and get some gel. i dont like the feel of gel on the length of my hair but my 11 year old is trying to learn do her own twist outs and braid outs and her hair is 2b/3a ish and super fine. she did one the other day and it was so pretty when she took it down but within the hour of her playing outside there was zero definition. this might actually work.

aasem said:
That looks like a lot of work

It really wasn't. Putting twists in and letting them dry is so easy and plus this lasted 6 days w/o me having to do anything else to my hair.

This is my hair at the end of day 4 I think.

Attachments

• image-206434222.jpg
    image-206434222.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 19
Back