Frequent cornrow wearers

Duchesse

This is a question especially for my wig/weave wearing ladies. Do you notice that your ends feel crunchy/tangled when you take your braids out? I'm trying to figure out what the cause of my crunchy ends are. I DC, moisturize, seal, etc.....I'm starting to think it's from wearing cornrows all the time.

Maybe I have a strange braiding technique, lately my ends have been looking bent up and rough when I take the braids out. Anyone else dealt with this?

aa9746

This is a question especially for my wig/weave wearing ladies. Do you notice that your ends feel crunchy/tangled when you take your braids out? I'm trying to figure out what the cause of my crunchy ends are. I DC, moisturize, seal, etc.....I'm starting to think it's from wearing cornrows all the time.

Maybe I have a strange braiding technique, lately my ends have been looking bent up and rough when I take the braids out. Anyone else dealt with this?

I'm doing an experiment and so far it's working for me. I wash and condition with my braided up ends rolled up in satin covered rollers. I make sure to take rollers out on final rinse. Lastly, after sealing with Castor I roll the ends of my braids in two satin covered rollers (this keeps the ends tucked away and from drying out). I have mostly 4b hair and so far no knot balls at the ends of my hair which I usually get when my braids are kept in 4+ weeks.

kinkylove

The girl who cornrows my hair before I rock wigs has this technique where she braids each braid end into one another and leave one out for when it's time for me to take my hair down (hope that doesn't sound confusing, lol).

This generally keep my ends in good shape. BUT when I didn't have it braided that way, I didn't really experience dry or tangled ends because even though my hair is a 4a, it feels 3c as you go down the strand for some reason. So it's always smooth.

You might have hard water, though.

Carisa

My ends/hair in general feels moisturized when i take the cornrows/plaits out. I co-wash at least once a week and also make sure to use mane and tail detangler 1 day before braid removal which makes it easier to remove. I also use coconut and olive oil throughout the week

Nonie

Duchesse, if you mean the ends of the hairs that make the tail of your cornrows, then it makes sense that they might be dry depending on what you moisturize with. When I've worn cornrows, I haven't used any product and my ends haven't been any different from the rest of the hair. And I imagine if I were using a product (like S Curl) on the tails of my braids, they'd feel just like my twists feel--soft/moisturized.

The ends of your hair that are tucked inside the braids should not be dry unless your hair is so long that no ends actually end up tucked inside the rope part of the cornrow. If that's the case, then I'd recommend putting up and away your ends as seen in this video. FF to 1:09 to start seeing the updos. If you want to jump from style to style, after 1:09 go to 1:25 then 1:40 then 1:54, so your ends are kept away from the drying air.

I also believe in dusting ends to keep the dead/split sections from passing on their moisture-releasing properties to more of your strands and leading to breakage.

Lucky's Mom

I agree with the other posters. Lots of hydration on the ends help with less dry hair. I have been wearing cornrows for a few months now - and deep conditioning and constant oiling of the ends helps me.

Duchesse

The girl who cornrows my hair before I rock wigs has this technique where she braids each braid end into one another and leave one out for when it's time for me to take my hair down (hope that doesn't sound confusing, lol).

This generally keep my ends in good shape. BUT when I didn't have it braided that way, I didn't really experience dry or tangled ends because even though my hair is a 4a, it feels 3c as you go down the strand for some reason. So it's always smooth.

You might have hard water, though.

No, it's not confusing! Thats kinda what I do when I braid my hair. I never thought about the hard water...hmm...for some reason I'm convinced it's my actual braiding technique, but I'll look into seeing if we have water issues.

My ends/hair in general feels moisturized when i take the cornrows/plaits out. I co-wash at least once a week and also make sure to use mane and tail detangler 1 day before braid removal which makes it easier to remove. I also use coconut and olive oil throughout the week

Thank you. Maybe I need to oil my hair more..

Duchesse, if you mean the ends of the hairs that make the tail of your cornrows, then it makes sense that they might be dry depending on what you moisturize with. When I've worn cornrows, I haven't used any product and my ends haven't been any different from the rest of the hair. And I imagine if I were using a product (like S Curl) on the tails of my braids, they'd feel just like my twists feel--soft/moisturized.

The ends of your hair that are tucked inside the braids should not be dry unless your hair is so long that no ends actually end up tucked inside the rope part of the cornrow. If that's the case, then I'd recommend putting up and away your ends as seen in this video. FF to 1:09 to start seeing the updos. If you want to jump from style to style, after 1:09 go to 1:25 then 1:40 then 1:54, so your ends are kept away from the drying air.

I also believe in dusting ends to keep the dead/split sections from passing on their moisture-releasing properties to more of your strands and leading to breakage.

Good lord! I wish my hair was that long!

The thing is I BCed in July so my ends were recently cut. And this crunch exists on like the last full inch of hair. On my entire head, not just the tail ends. My friend was playing in my hair and noticed the stark difference as well.

Okay so it looks like I prob just need a deep trim or something, as I'm pretty much doing what you ladies do when you braid. I cant take these hay ends. Thanks so much!

I'm doing an experiment and so far it's working for me. I wash and condition with my braided up ends rolled up in satin covered rollers. I make sure to take rollers out on final rinse. Lastly, after sealing with Castor I roll the ends of my braids in two satin covered rollers (this keeps the ends tucked away and from drying out). I have mostly 4b hair and so far no knot balls at the ends of my hair which I usually get when my braids are kept in 4+ weeks.

That sounds interesting. So it seems like it never gets a chance (the ends) to wrap around themselves.

Tiye

I arrange them so that the ends aren't exposed - or exposure is minimal. If your hair is long this might get complicated though. I generally press or flat iron before I cornrow and the hair is still fairly soft and straight (but crinkled from the braiding of course) when I take them down even though the hair has been washed several times - so you might try a little heat first.

silenttullip

I don't think it's the cornrows I stayed in cornrows for my whole year transition getting them done every two weeks and my ends were better then than they are now with a working reggie and what not may depend on if you're using synethetic, kanakelon, or human

aa9746

No, it's not confusing! Thats kinda what I do when I braid my hair. I never thought about the hard water...hmm...for some reason I'm convinced it's my actual braiding technique, but I'll look into seeing if we have water issues.

Thank you. Maybe I need to oil my hair more..

Good lord! I wish my hair was that long!

The thing is I BCed in July so my ends were recently cut. And this crunch exists on like the last full inch of hair. On my entire head, not just the tail ends. My friend was playing in my hair and noticed the stark difference as well.

Okay so it looks like I prob just need a deep trim or something, as I'm pretty much doing what you ladies do when you braid. I cant take these hay ends. Thanks so much!

That sounds interesting. So it seems like it never gets a chance (the ends) to wrap around themselves.

Exactly !!