Wig Wearers/Braids underneath

princessdi

For those of you who braid your hair under your wigs, what do you do with the ends of your braids to protect them? My braids have gotten so long that I have to protect them somehow. What I normally do is moisturize my ends daily and seal with EVOO before putting on my wig cap, but I can’t help but feel like I should be doing something more to protect the ends. Does anyone tuck them under for more protection?

What do you do with the ends of your braids?:perplexed

Thanks.

genesis132

Are you doing plaits or cornrows under your braids?
When I start back wearing wigs, I'll cornrow my hair and sew the length of my ends back up into the cornrows. I got this idea from watching how some ladies on BHM braid their hair under their sew-ins. It's working fine for me now with my crochet braids bc my hair underneath is in cornrows and my ends are protected and get moisturized as I spritz my cornrows. Dang, I hope that wasn't too confusing :)

justnotsure

I wear cornrows and I moisturize the ends twice a day and tuck them under my wig cap (like fold them upward if that makes any sense). I have had great progress doing this method.

Urban

I've been doing plaits which I bun and tuck the ends right into the middle of the bun. I've been getting away with bunning under a wig because it was winter here so I could wear a beanie on top of the wig... to cover up the bump the bun made :yep:. Now that winter's pretty much over, I think I'm goin cornrow and somehow tuck the ends in the braids.

LadyPaniolo

I have gone about protecting my ends under wigs in a couple of different ways.

1. Braid hair in an around the world pattern (the snake) so only one braid hung down. Tuck this up in a space between cornrows, put on wig cap.

2. Braid cornrows hanging down, flip ends up and put on wig cap. I found that I got more breakage at my nape this way; I won't do that anymore.

3. The most successful :imo: was to put a silk scarf on underneath my wig cap. The silk was the only thing touching my hair, this really helped my ends. Sadly, the scarf is white and even with the black wig cap on, I sometimes spotted white spots peaking through under my wig! :shocked: So I tried using an old black "sateen" :lol: du-rag under the wig cap, or just that du-rag with no wig cap under my wig.

sheba1

I have pixie braids, no hair added, underneath my wig. I moisturize my hair and seal with my homemade amla oil and do two french braids that connect in the back. I tuck the end of the braid into one of the french braids put my wig on from there. I sleep with my hair like this, also. So far so good!

Kellum

I braid all of my cornrows going back, and then braid them all into one braid and pin them up. I spray daily with my Ayurveda tea spritz and seal with my shea butter mix.

Neek-a-Nator

Are you doing plaits or cornrows under your braids?
When I start back wearing wigs, I'll cornrow my hair and sew the length of my ends back up into the cornrows. I got this idea from watching how some ladies on BHM braid their hair under their sew-ins. It's working fine for me now with my crochet braids bc my hair underneath is in cornrows and my ends are protected and get moisturized as I spritz my cornrows. Dang, I hope that wasn't too confusing :)
Yup, this is exactly what I do with mine. I braid going straight back and sew them up like would if I were to be getting a weave. Works great, low maintenance, no breakage, no problems.

*Frisky*

I have pixie braids, no hair added, underneath my wig. I moisturize my hair and seal with my homemade amla oil and do two french braids that connect in the back. I tuck the end of the braid into one of the french braids put my wig on from there. I sleep with my hair like this, also. So far so good!

What are these if you don't mind me asking. I can not cornrow and I need to find a better way to make my own hair lay flat under my wigs.

Amerie123

I have gone about protecting my ends under wigs in a couple of different ways.

1. Braid hair in an around the world pattern (the snake) so only one braid hung down. Tuck this up in a space between cornrows, put on wig cap.

2. Braid cornrows hanging down, flip ends up and put on wig cap. I found that I got more breakage at my nape this way; I won't do that anymore.

3. The most successful :imo: was to put a silk scarf on underneath my wig cap. The silk was the only thing touching my hair, this really helped my ends. Sadly, the scarf is white and even with the black wig cap on, I sometimes spotted white spots peaking through under my wig! :shocked: So I tried using an old black "sateen" :lol: du-rag under the wig cap, or just that du-rag with no wig cap under my wig.

This is exactly what I do down to the "t" (well except du-rag; instead i use a satin scarf).

Once my hair got too long and the braids began to hang, i started doing a circular braid as if i was going to get a sew-in. I felt that constantly pinning the braids up would eventually cause some type of breakage. :ohwell:. and so far, this method has been working GREAT for me. I also use a black satin scarf underneath, but i make sure the wig secured very well.

princessdi

These are all great answers! I'm not much of a braider, so I know I wouldn't be able to braid in a circular pattern; however, I can braid straight back. I think I will continue to do this and try to tuck the ends under somehow and also incorporate the satin cap under my wig cap to protect the hair.

Thanks ladies!

sheba1

What are these if you don't mind me asking. I can not cornrow and I need to find a better way to make my own hair lay flat under my wigs.

I've also seen them called box braids or plaits. I part in rows like I will cornrow and then section off in boxes and braid so the braid hangs down. I like cornrows, too, but I like that I can give my ends more attention and almost treat my hair as if it were loose like this. My wigs lay perfectly flat because of the two french braids that I make just above my ears on either side and connect in the back. I bet flat twists would work, too, if you don't know how to french braid.

GreenD

I braid my hair in which ever direction I feel up to at the time, and tuck them upwards under my doo rag/skull cap thing. Every time after I co wash I put a little vaseline on the ends and I spritz with water, conditioner and oil twice a day every day.

For you ladies braiding in a circle, how the heck are you doing it?! I tried and started braiding from behind my right ear and got stock trying to get up behind my left. I can't position my arms in the right directions to keep braiding all the way around. Help please?!

Starronda

At the start of BSL! Patiently waiting for full❤️
I do cornrows and put the ends in one big braid and tuck under. Take down to moisturize and seal daily.