Ok so I did my first sew-in weave...MYSELF!!!!! PICS

RabiaElaine

Hi Ladies,

So I finally did it, yesterday. It took me about 2 hours between the cornrows and sewing it in. My arms were so tired. I had a few hiccups with getting the stitching right. I learned a few lessons. I'm going to have to figure out a new braiding pattern, my hair is too long for the one I used. Basically I braided straight back (leaving out the sides all arounds, I want to be able to do a ponytail for the hot summer). I then took the ends of the braids and sewed them to each cornrow. The problem with that is the ends were longer than the cornrow and kind of stuck up a bit, I was able to hide them with the weave hair. I'll figure out a new pattern for the next weave. I also should have braided smaller and neater. My braids were too big and sloppy, I was rushing.

I'm also going to get some help the next time. I'm definitely going to need help taking it down.

Anyway, I'm happy with the way it turned out. Enjoy the pics :)

They are also in my fotki.

Attachments

• TalibahsPics208-th.jpg
    TalibahsPics208-th.jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 293
  • TalibahsPics209-th.jpg
    TalibahsPics209-th.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 177
  • TalibahsPics210-th.jpg
    TalibahsPics210-th.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 132
  • TalibahsPics211-th.jpg
    TalibahsPics211-th.jpg
    3.9 KB · Views: 113
  • TalibahsPics212-th.jpg
    TalibahsPics212-th.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

crlsweetie912

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH! That's so pretty. I do sew ins all the time, but I have never used the straight hair. I do curly styles. That's the bomb! How long are you going to leave it in.

Congrats! You did a phenomenal job!

RabiaElaine

crlsweetie912 said:
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHH! That's so pretty. I do sew ins all the time, but I have never used the straight hair. I do curly styles. That's the bomb! How long are you going to leave it in.

Congrats! You did a phenomenal job!

Thanks! I'm so excited. I'm going to leave it in for a month. Take it down rest for a week or 2 then relax or sew it back up depending on how I feel.

RabiaElaine

HoneyDew said:
go 'head girl. It looks good!

Thanks HoneyDew! You gave me sooooooo much help with this. I ended up buying Janet New Yaki, which is quite coarse. I sealed the weft with clear nail polish, so there's really no shedding. It's actually raining today in NY, and the hair is still behaving despite the humidity. The only thing I put on the weave hair was a very small amount of Paul Mitchell Super Skinny Serum.

So far so good:) Thanks again girl!

BeaLady

You did a very good job. :) That color looks like a good choice for you.

One day I'm going to try doing my own sew-in. :)

RabiaElaine

BeaLady said:
You did a very good job. :) That color looks like a good choice for you.

One day I'm going to try doing my own sew-in. :)

Yeah...I have naturally black hair, but I put in a jet black rinse in my hair yesterday to make sure it matched the Jet black extensions.

RabiaElaine

sugaplum said:
How pretty. :) You did a great job RabiaElaine. :up: The hair is nice too. What kind is it?

It's BSS hair, it's Janet New Yaki in color #1 and 14 inches long. I could have probably gotten away with 12 inches, I trimmed a lot of it of to create the layers in the front, and I trimmed at least 4 inces if not more off the back. I have a short torso so 14 inces uncut hair was waist length on me.

I now have a real visual of what I want my goal hair to look like length-wise anyway...I know my hair will never be this thick.

kandegirl

You did a great job!!

I'm always trying different braiding patterns too. The one you used is actually the one I may have to use now that my hair is longer. When I do weaves other peoples' weaves -while braiding straight back, I just loop the braid back down again if it's too long. So basically, I braid w/ a curved angle at the top then straight back. Then I fold the cornrow back upwards. If it's too long I reloop it back down before I reach the top of the braid (where I first started). That way the edges are the flattest. I hope that makes sense.

Now I have a question. How are you using the clear polish to seal the tracks? Just sliding it across the weft?

RabiaElaine

kandegirl said:
You did a great job!!

I'm always trying different braiding patterns too. The one you used is actually the one I may have to use now that my hair is longer. When I do weaves other peoples' weaves -while braiding straight back, I just loop the braid back down again if it's too long. So basically, I braid w/ a curved angle at the top then straight back. Then I fold the cornrow back upwards. If it's too long I reloop it back down before I reach the top of the braid (where I first started). That way the edges are the flattest. I hope that makes sense.

Now I have a question. How are you using the clear polish to seal the tracks? Just sliding it across the weft?

Duh! Thanks for the tip...I don't know why I couldn't have thought of that. Thanks :)

Yes I just slide the brush along the weft. Let it completely dry. I also seal the sides of the weft after cutting them. I seriously have no shedding. This is my first time...so I'll see how it holds up. I only plan on wearing this hair for one month anyway :)

Lucia

RabiaElaine said:
It's BSS hair, it's Janet New Yaki in color #1 and 14 inches long. I could have probably gotten away with 12 inches, I trimmed a lot of it of to create the layers in the front, and I trimmed at least 4 inces if not more off the back. I have a short torso so 14 inces uncut hair was waist length on me.

I now have a real visual of what I want my goal hair to look like length-wise anyway...I know my hair will never be this thick.

Wow it looks like it grew out of your head, great job. I do a braided weave too, but I wear a headband, waht are you going to do with the outer layer of you real hair that's out I mean how will you protect it? BTW don't give up on the thickness, you can get some of that thickness if no all, I've seen some ladies hair thicken up and if i hadn't read there testimonies before i would have said it was fake.

Last edited:

imani97

Girl you may have to do mine or teach me how to do my own. I swore off weaves, but I may have to go back on that. :look:

caramelty

Hey that is super cute and I like the idea of keeping all the edges out for the ponytail. Did you just sew the tracks straight across the braids so in the front you have to wear the hair straight back or can you part it?

RabiaElaine

Lucia said:
Wow it looks like it grew out of your head, great job. I do a braided weave too, but I wear a headband, waht are you going to do with the outer layer of you real hair that's out I mean how will you protect it? BTW don't give up on the thickness, you can get some of that thickness if no all, I've seen some ladies hair thicken up and if i hadn't read there testimonies before i would have said it was fake.

Thanks girl I'm looking in the mirror fooling myself ;)

Ummm as for protecting the outer layer of the hair. I'm just leaving it out. Try not to mess with it too much. I will braid the nape/sides up when i'm not in ponytail. The front I will just try to moisturize it as much as possible. Tie it down with a scar like normal, so that should cut down on the urge to flatiron it. I also plan to make some 1 inch clipins that I can put in the front to make a little thicker and that should cover/protect some of the hair that's left out. I'm doing clips-ins in that area so I have flexibility for styling the front. I'm going to Sally's this afternoon to buy the clips.

BTW I do hope that I could achieve at least some of this thickness over time. I would be soooooooooooooooooooo happy!

RabiaElaine

imani97 said:
Girl you may have to do mine or teach me how to do my own. I swore off weaves, but I may have to go back on that. :look:

Sure thing! Just let me know when you want the hairdo or the lesson. I swore them off too after only wearing them once and having a bad experience. I think it was just the way the stylist did it and me not knowing how to care for it. My hair did grow, but it thinned. Now I know how to do it properly and care for it so I expect mega growth (via retaining my ends ofcourse). I got my inspiration/lessons about weaves from the ladies here and Reniece's fotki.

RabiaElaine

caramelty said:
Hey that is super cute and I like the idea of keeping all the edges out for the ponytail. Did you just sew the tracks straight across the braids so in the front you have to wear the hair straight back or can you part it?

I did sew straight across but in a horseshoe shape fromt the ears upwards (hope that makes sense). I can part, sidepart or middle part. I left enough out to play with but not too much.