For those out there that texlax/texturize?

How long do you leave your relaxer/texturizer on for processing?

• Total voters

MissMusic

I am currently natural, but I'm pretty sure that I will texlax/texturize in the next couple of weeks. I haven't decided whether to do it myself (Southerngirl method) or get it done. This will be the first relaxer of my life, I have always been natural (21 years). I do not want bone straight hair and texlax seems to be what I'm looking for. However, that's neither here nor there, just giving a little background.

Questions:
Hair type?

How long do you leave your relaxer/texturizer on your hair?

What brand do you use?

Any advice?

Thanks!:D

Last edited:

girlyprincess23

I was natural for 2 years and I texlaxed myself. All I can say was it was a disaster I either put too much protein in my hair or put too much oil in the relaxer that was already mild and it looked a mess. My advice unless you know what you're doing get a professional!! Then copy their style if you can or want to. Because it's really really hard to see the back of your head and how it's processing and stuff.

MissMusic

That's just what I was thnking. Don't know what I'm doing, so I will probably go to a salson,but I do want to be sure I know what my stylist is doing. Thanks!

Aveena

I texlax and leave the relaxer in for 20-25 minutes! I use a mild (silk elements) or regular. This relaxer will not get my hair straight no matter how long I leave it on. I only smooth with my hands. Personally, I think that is the key to texlaxing- basically- not overly stretching the hair while the relaxer is processing. I keep it in until my hair looks straight. but

Silk Elements has a reversion factor also... so the first 2-4 weeks hair is looking relaxed with body and then after that it looks more textured in the sense that there is not much difference between the relaxed and new growth texture.

Lots of people are jumping off the Silk Elements band wagon because it is known to underprocess and reverts. but if that is what you want? then .....

OneInAMillion

From application to end, 5-7 minutes, so I chose 6 minutes. My hair is extremely fine though, so it breaks down really quickly.

ETA: I'm a 4a and I use Nairobi Lye in Mild

Last edited:

prospurr4

My hair type is 4b. I self-texlax, using Revlon Realistic Lye in Regular strength. It takes me about 15 min. total: 8 min. of application time and 7 min. of smoothing.

The best advice I can give is to stretch your touchups for as long as possible, to avoid overlapping/overprocessing. I currently relax every 10-13 weeks; that's the best range for my hair. If I go any longer, I begin to experience breakage.

lshevonne

4B
Profectiv Regular (Self-Relax)
13-15min

I tried something different this last time and it made me go over my time which made my hair a little straighter than I've been doing it but that's ok.
Place conditioner and/or oil on the previously texlax hair and this will help with overprocessing. If you're still unsure go to a stylist that understands what you want and will do it.

Good Luck

misspriss

mostly 4aish
Affirm Fiberguard Mild
10-12 minutes

I use the whole system (Protectiv, Relaxer, Protein Conditioner, Neutralizer), which I would definitely recommend. I retouch myself every 2-3 months.

WesternEyes

3c, a relaxer in regular strength, usually soft & beautiful or creme of nature, for about 20 minutes. It takes 10-15 min to apply and 5 to process. Sometimes I leave it on for too long and it comes out too straight initially but usually reverts after two weeks. I don't know why that happens but does.

MissMusic

Thanks ladies, I'm getting it done tomorrow, so this is really helpful! Also, about the regretting my decision thread. I don't see this as a end all hair treatment, if I don't like it I will just cut it all off and start again. I love my hair short when I'm natural, but I do want to give this a try, plus I will continue to either go to the same person or do the relaxers myself. However, thanks for looking out for me!

Neith

I'm probably in the minority, but I process for 20 minutes with ORS no lye super. Application takes me about 8 minutes, then I smooth for the last 12.

If you know you have resistant hair, don't be scared of using super or leaving it in long enough (like I was initially)

I think I will add 5 more minutes to my next touchup.​

bellebebe

man, I leave it in for about 30 minutes (I know) but it's still not bone straight. :-( but hey... My ish looks damn good.:grin:

Guinan

Re-Branding
I was natural for a couple of yrs and then started to texlax. I say for ur first tex go 2 a salon then start doing it urself once ur more comfortable. I use mizani butter blends sensitive scalp. But i think i might switch to a texture softner by beautiful textures. My hair type is 4a,3c, medium course.

Guinan

Re-Branding
MissMusic said:
Thanks ladies, I'm getting it done tomorrow, so this is really helpful! Also, about the regretting my decision thread. I don't see this as a end all hair treatment, if I don't like it I will just cut it all off and start again. I love my hair short when I'm natural, but I do want to give this a try, plus I will continue to either go to the same person or do the relaxers myself. However, thanks for looking out for me!

Im glad u said that, cause i was afraid u might regret it. I dont but if i did, i would do the same, cut & grow again. Please pics before & after