A Texturizers Thread - Pics, Info, Regimens

EnExitStageLeft

TheEspressoHair

I couldn't execute a decent twist-out to save my life :(. How do you get the definition to last. I unravel and its GAWJUS, but then I touch it one to many times and POOF DEFINITION GONE!

Last edited:

EnExitStageLeft

pelohello

her texture reminds me of yours. So uniform :yep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjYDnIRnJcg

Just a li' eye candy for us Texturized ladies. She too transitioned (she doesn't call it that but she cut slowly and started from bone straight hair). She uses Just For Me texturizer and Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo. I've been subscribed to her FOREVER! and I'm still astounded at her length retention, just fabulous!

TamaraShaniece

Ayurvedic Life
@TheEspressoHair

I couldn't execute a decent twist-out to save my life :(. How do you get the definition to last. I unravel and its GAWJUS, but then I touch it one to many times and POOF DEFINITION GONE!

I only needed it to last for dinner. It was cold out, I went to a hibiachi restaurant - so the heat from the cooker didn't bother me. lol...As soon as my SO and I went back home....I twist it back up.

naija24

hey! I have a texturized TWA! I don't know if that's smart or not considering that my hair is sooooo short, but anyway, what do you ladies do to make it a bit smoother? I feel like leave in makes my hair crazy frizzy. I've tried foam wrap when drying, which helps but it looks like a helmet.

Any suggestions?

Jewell

@Jewell

No problem, I'm super excited to have a thread like this started :happydance: TheEspressoHair. People never really talk much about texturizing, which is why I still label myself as texlaxed.

Also, I think its smart to switch to a mild relaxer first. When I texlaxed I stan'ed for Silk Elements Lye in Mild, so I highly recommend it :yep:.
Also, may I say you hair in you avi is GAWJUS! Was it curled?

@pelohello

Your hair is BEAUTIFUL! Its so uniform :lick:. I love it!

EnExitStageLeft

Thanks for the recommendation!

I always use mild relaxers...im definitely gonna use silk elements lye mild next touch up. Ive heard good things about it and have used it once before with excellent results. I also use Elasta QP stop action neutralizing shampoo...i like it. I just need to process for less time to avoid my hair getting too straight.

Gurl you gave me a real good laugh! My avatar is me with a lace front wig on (a full lace wig...lace in front and back). I WISH my hair looked so perfect! But thank you for the compliment! That is my fave wig, but the pic is old as my SO hates wigs...and that was taken late 2010

EnExitStageLeft

Jewell

Girl you going to love the Silk Elements :yep:. THATS NOT YOU HAIR! Smh, that wig is laid then because it looks SO natural. My SO like my hair, but he loved my bob so I'm sure he would prefer for me to cut it :lol:.

Guinan

Re-Branding
pelohello

her texture reminds me of yours. So uniform :yep:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LjYDnIRnJcg

Just a li' eye candy for us Texturized ladies. She too transitioned (she doesn't call it that but she cut slowly and started from bone straight hair). She uses Just For Me texturizer and Elasta QP Stop Action Neutralizing Shampoo. I've been subscribed to her FOREVER! and I'm still astounded at her length retention, just fabulous!

Thaxs:) I wish i had her growth rate & thickness. My hair starts to slow in growth once it reaches a certain length.

She's one of my fav utubers! In the beginning of my journey I copied her Reggie.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch Q using LHCF

Guinan

Re-Branding
hey! I have a texturized TWA! I don't know if that's smart or not considering that my hair is sooooo short, but anyway, what do you ladies do to make it a bit smoother? I feel like leave in makes my hair crazy frizzy. I've tried foam wrap when drying, which helps but it looks like a helmet.

Any suggestions?

Have u tried using gel? my fav is proclaim aloe gel. I just started using eco styler. I like it when using curlformers.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hey Ladies!

Have any of yall ever did 2strand twist or a twist-n-curl w/o it unraveling? If so what products did you use? Did you use gel? and how did you keep it from unraveling?

prospurr4

I'm texlaxed. To keep my twists from unraveling, I put a straw roller (basically drinking straw cut into 2" pieces) on the ends, secured with a roller pin. This method also gives the twists/twistout a nice little curl on the ends, instead of being straight.

mshoneyfly

This is a great idea! I use just for me but Im transitioning from bone straight. I still have a lot of relaxed ends. I use bobby pins when I bantu knot out. Haven't tried twists yet but I would prob use rollers on the ends.

I might try these clips by wrapping the ends and clamping.

image-2917744199.jpg

This is today at 6 weeks post on damp hair. I just rinsed out a Sukesh treatment

image-3507239668.jpg

Last edited:

orangepeel

Hi ladies,

I am beginning the process of gathering materials to texturize my hair. I've been natural for 10 years now, and I just want something different.

So far I thinking about the Linange Shea Butter Texturizer.

I still need the following: Neutralizing Poo: ORS Creamy Aloe or Mizani 7 Neutralizing Shampoo

Are the relaxed hair threads good threads to learn routines for texturized heads?

Right now, I pretty much do the following:
Shampoo once a week
cowash every day due to going to the gym
deep condition every two weeks
spray water in the morning

Does anyone have a routine they are willing to share.

Guinan

Re-Branding
Hi ladies,

I am beginning the process of gathering materials to texturize my hair. I've been natural for 10 years now, and I just want something different.

So far I thinking about the Linange Shea Butter Texturizer.

I still need the following: Neutralizing Poo: ORS Creamy Aloe or Mizani 7 Neutralizing Shampoo

Are the relaxed hair threads good threads to learn routines for texturized heads?

Right now, I pretty much do the following:
Shampoo once a week
cowash every day due to going to the gym
deep condition every two weeks
spray water in the morning

Does anyone have a routine they are willing to share.

Sorry I just saw this. I will post my reggie 2morrow, cause I'm on my phone.

isawstars

I feel silly for asking this... Am I texturized and not texlaxed? (current photo in siggy) I always thought texturizers and texlaxing were the same thing.

The first time I texlaxed (5 years ago) My stylist left a mild relaxer in for 10 min and my hair was a very loose S curl shape. Fast forward to today, I see a different stylist who leaves a mild relaxer on for only 5 minutes and I have tons of corkscrew curls and I can still wear my hair in a puff. So is that the difference? Or does the difference have nothing to do with how long you let the chemicals sit and instead it's determined by the product? using a relaxer vs an actual texturizer?

EnExitStageLeft

isawstars

I use the term interchangeably as well. In my opinion they're the same because both processes involved "under-processing" the hair purposely. However, they are technically different. Texlaxing involves using an actual relaxer and Texturizing involves using an actual texturizer. That is literally the only difference.

ThatJerseyGirl

EnExitStageLeft - what was your texture prior to the texturizer? I purchased the exturizer and the neutalizing conditioner. I may use alter ego's garlic conditioner for my dc

Also, since Im using a sulfur based product, how long should I wait to use it? Or should I wash, not use sulfur products for a week and then texturize?

Im trying to shorten the time it takes for me to do my hair. I stay in the gym 6 days a week and keep it in two strand twists. Its so thick and so much of it, I dread wash day! My shrinkage is off the chain. I'd say about 75-80%!!

EnExitStageLeft

@ThatJerseyGirl

I'm currently "transitioning" from Texlaxed to Texturized. The difference between the textures is pretty obvious. My Texturized hair actually have a curl pattern, while my texlaxed hair has a deep wave. My natural texture is a type 4 something (I really don't do hair typing like that). However, I can say that my shrinkage was too a beast when I was natural. Mine was like 65 To 75% :nono:. My hair still shrinks up quite a bit now that I'm Texlaxed/Texturized, but not nearly as much.

Your going to love the texturized life. The pattern of a natural with the ease of a relaxer. Some shade it, I JUST LOVE IT! :yep: and :happydance:

Last edited:

rawsilk

Hawaiian Silky followed by Vitale Revitalizer Protein Conditioner is best for texlaxing. Got timid and underprocesed my ends after 6 years natural but corrected last week. Sitting under dryer with combo flexirods/curlformers as I type and all I have to say is that this is the happiest I've been with my hair (sans weave) in years -- I can actually predict what my hair is going to look like 5 days out, no matter the weather. I will NEVER go back to natural -- too time-consuming and takes over your life and don't get me started on my epiphany re weaves. Right now I'm using Cantu leave-in (in jar) and Macadamia oil to set but open to suggestions for products to use for texlax sets. (I don't get enough volume, stretch with wash and goes.)

Bublin

Bumping this thread.

I think texturising rather than relaxing is what I'm going to do.

I have a few of questions

I have APL/BSL hair - should I buy 2 or 3 boxes? (I'm going for Just For Me)

With that amount of hair is it best to do the half/half method?

Does my hair have to be detangled before I start? I cannot detangle my natural hair without it being soaking wet and full of conditioner. I last washed/detangled a week ago.

Do I have to use a fine toothed comb? Will my fingers do?

In my relaxed days I used my fingers to apply the relaxer for my touch-ups. I can't imagine running a fine comb through this bush.

Blessed&higlyflavoured

I'm seriously considering texturizing my hair. There's a few things I have to do before It happens though.

I have a couple of inches of high po hair at the ends from the days when i used to mistreat my hair. I'm not quite ready to say bye to the length and their not breaking but i plan to gradually trim them away.

I have to practice not being so touch feely with my hair. I like to play in it, pulling it and stuff. It annoys me. I think this will take a bit of practice as it such and ingrained habit.

all in all, i'm giving myself a year to think about it and get my hair into optimum condition.

ajoyfuljoy

Thanks for this thread. I've been natural for over a year. I'm very coarse tightly coiled 4 a. My hair is fully coiled with conditioner but will dry to a tight fuzzy afro if left to dry unmanipulated without product. It takes ounces of product to get the braidout look in my avatar pic.

My natural hair is extremely high maintenance and that has taken the fun out of it for me. I could never find the right product to moisturize and style without being so heavy that my hair would start to flake product after a few days.

And I got tired of looser textured heads insulting my intelligence saying I must be doing something wrong because their hair was low maintenance they assumed everyone else who didn't have the same experience was in error. I know the strands on my head.

My hair drinks products. Would this process help this?

all of my hair except the top four inches is permanently died a light brown.

When I was relaxed permanent dye plus relaxer was the kiss of death for my hair and I had to start over. Is this the same when you are texturized?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LHCF

Last edited:

mshoneyfly

Bumping this thread.

I think texturising rather than relaxing is what I'm going to do.

I have a few of questions

I have APL/BSL hair - should I buy 2 or 3 boxes? (I'm going for Just For Me)

With that amount of hair is it best to do the half/half method?

Does my hair have to be detangled before I start? I cannot detangle my natural hair without it being soaking wet and full of conditioner. I last washed/detangled a week ago.

Do I have to use a fine toothed comb? Will my fingers do?

In my relaxed days I used my fingers to apply the relaxer for my touch-ups. I can't imagine running a fine comb through this bush.

Bublin
Congrats on your decision to texturize!! Your gonna love it :)

I use the JFM texture softener (Im transitioning from bone straight) but have been self relaxing for over 20 years. For your virgin hair you need at least two boxes. My hair is SL, fine 4b and high porosity so it doesn't take much to straighten. I only need one. If your hair is thick and/or low porosity, you may wanna get 3-4 boxes just to be safe. You don't wanna run out of product or get under processed.

Are you self relaxing? Yes, if I were you I would do half/half and just follow the timing chart to a 'T'. Yes, you must be thoroughly detangled to get it done on time. You could lightly straighten your hair a few days before to make the hair easy to separate. Whether you flat iron or not, you should separate your hair into small sections before getting started so you wont go over the time.

I just blow dried and flat ironed my NG last night with D&L 6-week anti reversion creme. I love this stuff. It melts my 10 weeks of NG, dries the hair super fast, acts as a heat protectant and did I mention it melts my NG??

You don't need to use a comb. Some people use the back of the comb to apply relaxer to the roots not for actually combing though. I use my fingers to apply and that works fine. Just make sure you smooth the product all the way down the hair shaft.

The best advice I can give is to read and follow the directions very carefully. This stuff works nicely.

mshoneyfly

Thanks for this thread. I've been natural for over a year. I'm very coarse tightly coiled 4 a. My hair is fully coiled with conditioner but will dry to a tight fuzzy afro if left to dry unmanipulated without product. It takes ounces of product to get the braidout look in my avatar pic.

My natural hair is extremely high maintenance and that has taken the fun out of it for me. I could never find the right product to moisturize and style without being so heavy that my hair would start to flake product after a few days.

And I got tired of looser textured heads insulting my intelligence saying I must be doing something wrong because their hair was low maintenance they assumed everyone else who didn't have the same experience was in error. I know the strands on my head.

My hair drinks products. Would this process help this?

all of my hair except the top four inches is permanently died a light brown.

When I was relaxed permanent dye plus relaxer was the kiss of death for my hair and I had to start over. Is this the same when you are texturized?

Sent from my SGH-T989 using LHCF

ajoyfuljoy
As long as you don't color anymore after you relax, you should be fine without cutting. Just focus on getting your new regimen down and maintaining the health of your color treated, texturized hair. You should think about trying henna instead once you relax. You can add coco powder or indigo to get more of a brown color.

But yes color AND relaxer is extremely hard on the hair.

Gryphyn

@ThatJerseyGirl

I'm currently "transitioning" from Texlaxed to Texturized. The difference between the textures is pretty obvious. My Texturized hair actually have a curl pattern, while my texlaxed hair has a deep wave. My natural texture is a type 4 something (I really don't do hair typing like that). However, I can say that my shrinkage was too a beast when I was natural. Mine was like 65 To 75% :nono:. My hair still shrinks up quite a bit now that I'm Texlaxed/Texturized, but not nearly as much.

Your going to love the texturized life. The pattern of a natural with the ease of a relaxer. Some shade it, I JUST LOVE IT! :yep: and :happydance:
EnExitStageLeft Me too! I really thought I was the only one here transitioning from texlaxed to texturized hair since most ladies see them as the same thing. How do you find detangling your texturized vs texlaxed hair? Do you find it easy to blend the 2 textures?

I've been debating whether I should grow my hair out to be fully natural again and then texturize, or still go for my regular touch ups and just ask my stylist to texturize my new growth...if that makes sense.

I was natural up to last year and decided to get a texturizer last summer. I loveeeeeed my hair after, but in January the owner of the salon I go to said he'd make my hair "easier to manage" and combed the relaxer all the way through to my ends without my realizing so I had texlaxed hair when I left. :fishslap: At first I thought it was pretty (I did get a lot of compliments on it) but after a couple of washes I wanted to cry when it sunk it that my curls were gone for good. I thought I would just roll with it anyway and got texlax touchups in spring and summer, but of course with my fine strands my hair started thinning, just like when I had a relaxer, so I decided to transition back to a texturizer after my last touchup.