Regretting the decision to texlax

imani97

I know that there a millions of threads about the wonders of texlaxing and I used to be a faithful follower. However, now that much of my hair is texlaxed, I am regretting this decision big time. First, the texture isn't consistent throughout. The bottom two-three inches for some of my hair is fully relaxed while others are texlaxed. Then I have a huge chunk in the middle of each strand that is completely straight. I think my stylist forgot that I was texlaxing that time. :ohwell: Anway, some of my ends are a frazzled mess. Although, that could be b/c I'm not very good at setting my hair. Nonetheless, I am very frustrated right now. Just wanted to vent and share my experience. I think that I will discontinue texlaxing, especially since I have not found anyone to do it right consistently. :(

Update (7/26/07):
I still have my hair texlaxed. My stylist uses Alter Ego texturizer and it has shea butter in it. I've been able to manage my hair much better now. I am a 4b, so I will never have a curly wash and go, but I have been able to do a braidout or twistout and have it look decent. I'm still experimenting. I just didn't want to give anyone the impression that I have given up.

Last edited:

Quty_Bug

I feel the same way, but I never texlaxed my hair on purpose. I started relaxing my hair on my own like 9 months ago and I guess I never leave it in long enough and it always came out under processed. Im thinking of have someone do a corrective relaxer, but im scared to take the risk. I just chalk it up and say that i'd rather be under processed than over processed.

I hope you figure out a way to work with your different textures, until you can get it all evened out.

Blackoutzangel05

have you considered doing your perms yourself? That way you have more control over how long they are in and I am sure that you won't forget that you don't want your hair bone straight.

OneInAMillion

I completely understand where you're coming from! Do you go to the same person everytime? Have you told them why you want too texlax?

I was worried about having multiple textures on my head as well. I've gotten around that by going to the same person, and reminding him (since I go 6+ months before I see him sometimes) that since my hair is so fine, I want my hair texturized. By now, he knows me as the texturized girl :lol: so he works the relaxer through very quickly and rinses my hair immediately. I don't know how, but I have a uniform texture on my head that I'm pretty happy with.

I know it's work, so you just have to decide what's best for your hair. Oh...the frazzled ends were a problem for me big time about 8 months ago. I trimmed and mad sure to baby my ends like crazy and they haven't been a problem since. Also, when I deep condition, I make sure to slather that conditioner on the ends so I know they're getting the proper moisture. Also, when rollersetting, it's especially important to make sure the ends are smooth! So don't hack off frazzled ends till you tweak a couple of things in your regimen.

It's a struggle girl, but if you want texlaxed hair, you can do it :grin:

LocksOfLuV

I feel you girl. Even though texlaxing is a gift for me it is the gift and a curse at the same time. I can NEVER get the textures to match completely. Never. One part will be more straight than the other and vice versa. Once I reach WSL and master rollersetting, I think I will go back to straight.:perplexed

leleepop

That is one of the reasons I am going natural(among other things). I wanted to try a wash and go w/texlaxed hair but couldnt with all the different textures. I did start putting a light protein conditioner to get more consistant results, but I didnt do it long enough to see results. We have a thread about it called Curve Salon secrets. Some woman also put the conditioner on and let it dry, then go to the salon for a touch up.hth

Last edited:

HoneyDew

Quty_Bug said:
I feel the same way, but I never texlaxed my hair on purpose. I started relaxing my hair on my own like 9 months ago and I guess I never leave it in long enough and it always came out under processed. Im thinking of have someone do a corrective relaxer, but im scared to take the risk. I just chalk it up and say that i'd rather be under processed than over processed.

I hope you figure out a way to work with your different textures, until you can get it all evened out.

Same here. Every relaxer I tried left me underprocessed and not in the good way. But, I think that is was my fault. Like you, I just left the relaxer in too long. The only relaxer that got me straight was TCB Naturals, but it started getting me TOO straight, which was not too good since I have been too afraid to do a corrective with that.

Also, I used to use cones daily for shine. I think that was preventing my relaxers from working the way it should. I stopped using cones daily and I can really tell a difference in my last relaxer. It worked very well.
I am happy to say that I got my hair straight recently, by using Profectiv super. The last section I did, my bangs, are not as straight since I had to rinse, but overall I was very happy.

Maybe it was the relaxer change, maybe it was the fact that I stopped piling on the cones everyday. Either way, I think my hair does better when it is pretty straight and not partly texlaxed. Actually I think I can stretch longer when my hair is not texlaxed.

HoneyDew

LocksOfLuV said:
I feel you girl. Even though texlaxing is a gift for me it is the gift and a curse at the same time. I can NEVER get the textures to match completely. Never. One part will be more straight than the other and vice versa. Once I reach WSL and master rollersetting, I think I will go back to straight.:perplexed

I think that rollersetting does not work that well for me because I have so many different textures going on. Everytime I try to rollerset, my underprocessed sections look a hot mess. I end up having to flatiron anyway! It is better for me to just airdry and flatiron, if I am going to spend so much time sitting under the dryer only to have to apply even more heat!! If I was not so underprocessed in so many sections, I KNOW rollersets would be so much better for me.

DDTexlaxed

TRANSITION OVER! 11-22-14
It is hard to get your texlaxed look perfect if your relaxers over lap yr previously texlaxed hair. That is why I do my own. My problem came when I tried to get mt texlaxed hair to relax.:ohwell: My hair did not like the change. I really hope your hair goals can be met. You can always transition and start over. Happy growing.:)

IMFOCSD

I also kinda regret texlaxing. I jumped from bone straight to texlaxed. I need to try straight but not bone straight. How would i correct this issue?

Last edited:

imani97

Blackoutzangel05 said:
have you considered doing your perms yourself? That way you have more control over how long they are in and I am sure that you won't forget that you don't want your hair bone straight.
Girl, I am not coming at my hair with any chemicals. :lol: I used to do my relaxers when I was in college, but my hair was so jacked up. I'm talking a bald spot in the nape! :eek:

imani97

HoneyDew said:
I think that rollersetting does not work that will for me because I have so many different textures going on. Everytime I try to rollerset, my underprocessed sections look a hot mess. I end up having to flatiron anyway! It is better for me to just airdry and flatiron, if I am going to spend so much time sitting under the dryer only to have to apply even more heat!! If I was not so underprocessed in so many sections, I KNOW rollersets would be so much better for me.
I feel you honeydew. I was able to rollerset myself the other day. The roots were fine, b/c the last person to texlax me got them bone straight, :ohwell: but the texlaxed part was a mess. When I go to the Dominicans, they can get it decent so I guess I'll have to keep going.

*Happily Me*

sorry it's not working out for you Imani.

Have you tried Sylver's scarf method? That really, really works for my texlaxed hair. Flexi rods are a Godsend too.

Best of luck to you.

imani97

OneInAMillion said:
I completely understand where you're coming from! Do you go to the same person everytime? Have you told them why you want too texlax?

I was worried about having multiple textures on my head as well. I've gotten around that by going to the same person, and reminding him (since I go 6+ months before I see him sometimes) that since my hair is so fine, I want my hair texturized. By now, he knows me as the texturized girl :lol: so he works the relaxer through very quickly and rinses my hair immediately. I don't know how, but I have a uniform texture on my head that I'm pretty happy with.

I know it's work, so you just have to decide what's best for your hair. Oh...the frazzled ends were a problem for me big time about 8 months ago. I trimmed and mad sure to baby my ends like crazy and they haven't been a problem since. Also, when I deep condition, I make sure to slather that conditioner on the ends so I know they're getting the proper moisture. Also, when rollersetting, it's especially important to make sure the ends are smooth! So don't hack off frazzled ends till you tweak a couple of things in your regimen.

It's a struggle girl, but if you want texlaxed hair, you can do it :grin:

Thanks lady. What salon do you go to for your touch ups. Maybe I need to go there. I've been going to Yanira's in the Bronx. The first touch-up was fine b/c the owner was able to translate for me. The second time she wasn't there. I assumed that my stylist (the same person from the first time) would know that if I wanted a texturizer, my hair shouldn't be stick straight. :ohwell: Prior to going to Yanira's I lived in D.C. and travelled all the way to Hampton to have my stylist from college do my hair. She was the one to get me to transition to texlaxed, but I think that she forgot one time that that was what I was doing. :ohwell:

imani97

DSylla said:
sorry it's not working out for you Imani.

Have you tried Sylver's scarf method? That really, really works for my texlaxed hair. Flexi rods are a Godsend too.

Best of luck to you.

Thanks lady. The scarf method does work for my newgrowth. Actually, maybe I should try that again and rollerset my ends. I'm also going to start doing the wash and go look by leaving conditioner in my hair. I think that the problem is that I want straighter hair than what I have. By the texture that's left does not give me defined curls, let alone consistent ones for me to have curly hair all of the time.

imani97

leleepop said:
That is one of the reasons I am going natural(among other things). I wanted to try a wash and go w/texlaxed hair but couldnt with all the different textures. I did start putting a light protein conditioner to get more consistant results, but I didnt do it long enough to see results. We have a thread about it called Curve Salon secrets. Some woman also put the conditioner on and let it dry, then go to the salon for a touch up.hth
Hmmm, I will try that method; I forgot all about it. Thanks.

cocoberry10

I know that there a millions of threads about the wonders of texlaxing and I used to be a faithful follower. However, now that much of my hair is texlaxed, I am regretting this decision big time. First, the texture isn't consistent throughout. The bottom two-three inches for some of my hair is fully relaxed while others are texlaxed. Then I have a huge chunk in the middle of each strand that is completely straight. I think my stylist forgot that I was texlaxing that time. :ohwell: Anway, some of my ends are a frazzled mess. Although, that could be b/c I'm not very good at setting my hair. Nonetheless, I am very frustrated right now. Just wanted to vent and share my experience. I think that I will discontinue texlaxing, especially since I have not found anyone to do it right consistently. :(

I have had issues with texlaxing. I’m at the point where I think I’m going to take a break from relaxing. I’m not sure if I am going natural or not, only time will tell.

SleekandBouncy

I am sure that's texlaxing is a great option for some, but FOR ME I find it unnecessary. I realized after several years that my stylist had been relaxing my hair bone straight and that resulted in hair that was so soft that it tangled around itself and broke. Now I simply have it relaxed medium straight. When it's wet it has straightish crinkles and waves, but it straightens out well and I don't have to worry about humidity. For my hair I find neither bone straight nor texlaxing a viable option. There's too much stress and extra time involved with texlaxing and since I've been relaxing medium/moderate straight I've had no problems with breakage and the new hair is thicker than the old, overprocessed hair.

lonei

I thought I was the only one who hated it, mine was by accident too and it took me a long time to realise what was going on. I am transitioning to bone straight, you have to now find ways to work with it, not against it, check out my regimen in my fotki journal, god bless...

seymone

I dislike textlaxing it is more problems than not. I recently did a corrective and my is straight not bone straight and it is a breeze to deal with my hair.

Serenity_Peace

Genius never dies!
This is very interesting. I'm still wondering if there is a happy medium between texlaxed and bone straight?

I suppose that if one is not relaxing bone straight, but relaxing straight enough to do long stretches, things will probably even out.

The relaxer before this last one, I mistakingly underprocessed or texlaxed my hair. For me, it did more damage than good, not only because my hair was dry, but also because the different textures made it difficult to manage.

So now I have this idea that if I really want to make the best out of relaxers, I need to relax well--not bone straight--but not texlaxed. Then, implement strategies like braids and wigs that will help me stretch relaxers longer.

I'm sorry that the texlaxing isn't working out for you ladies...:nono:

ajoyfuljoy

I accidentally texlaxed during my last touchup, and my hair was so difficult to manage and really tangly, problems that I don't usually have. I relaxed it all straight yesterday using LondonDiva's self-relaxing method and I'm quite happy. My stuff is just too thick to be trying to texlax, so I feel ya.

Mahalialee4

I am sure that's texlaxing is a great option for some, but FOR ME I find it unnecessary. I realized after several years that my stylist had been relaxing my hair bone straight and that resulted in hair that was so soft that it tangled around itself and broke. Now I simply have it relaxed medium straight. When it's wet it has straightish crinkles and waves, but it straightens out well and I don't have to worry about humidity. For my hair I find neither bone straight nor texlaxing a viable option. There's too much stress and extra time involved with texlaxing and since I've been relaxing medium/moderate straight I've had no problems with breakage and the new hair is thicker than the old, overprocessed hair.

Is that different from texlaxing? If so, in what way? Tring to get a visual of what you mean. I have seen some texlaxed heads and some are nearly bone straight when wet. Thanks. bonjour

HoneyDew

There is a girl on my job with bone straight hair.

And I NEVER see it with NG. It's like she relaxes it every month or something. Maybe she just has a good hairdresser.

Anyway, her hair looks so good and healthy and it GROWS nicely.

She keeps hers cut to shoulder length. She will cut a couple of inches and then it seems like NOTIME before I see the length all comeback.

Nightingale

On the Grow and Keeping it Simple
I'm confused. I thought texlaxing was between bone straight and texturized/curly. If you're relaxing and still have texture isn't that texlaxed?

To the OP: I'm sorry about your experience. Maybe doing it yourself or finding someone who can deliver what you want, would be best for you. Or you could relax straighter. By the way, your hair looks good in your siggy.

gymfreak336

My hair doesn't like to be texlaxed either...at least no less than 90%. I relax my hair with a mild relaxer for 20minutes. My hair always rollersets really smooth but when it is wet, especially after I air dry, you still see a little texture. I have bone straight ends however and I think that is from the residual chemical exposure when rinsing out my relaxer. I will be gradually trimming of those parts as I go. Some people can do the 50-85% relaxed thing but it just causes extra breakage and dryness issues for me.

imani97

There is a girl on my job with bone straight hair.

And I NEVER see it with NG. It's like she relaxes it every month or something. Maybe she just has a good hairdresser.

Anyway, her hair looks so good and healthy and it GROWS nicely.

She keeps hers cut to shoulder length. She will cut a couple of inches and then it seems like NOTIME before I see the length all comeback.

Yeah, when I had my hair cut in a bob (see fotki) it grew so quickly, was thick, and always healthy. I loved that hairstyle and really thought that I couldn't have healthy hair if it was longer. Then I found LHCF and ya'll filled my head with all of these ideas! LOL