Dying relaxed hair bright red without bleach.

mikimix

Has anybody done this before that can help me?

My hair is dark brown/almost black and relaxed, and I want to dye it very bright red, like Rihanna's colour.

In the past I have dyed it with a semi permanent hair dye but it came out more of a maroon colour, rather than bright red.

PearlyCurly

I like her video ^^^

Also try Loreal HiColor. You dont need bleach. I have used it before and it turned my hair red. I will probably use it again because i am bored with my hair.

Anyway, use a 30-40vl developer, and pump up your protein afterwards.

pringe

Well....back in the day we used to use Kool-Aid to dye our hair that bright red color. I'm just sayin'. lol

mikimix

Thanks for the video but isn't the peroxide she uses basically the same as bleach (but a little less harmful)? I don't want my hair to fall out.

afiyabirdie I'm only going to do it after the summer, just doing some research now because my job atm won't let me have bright red hair lol so I'm going to try and find a new job

EllePixie

Thanks for the video but isn't the peroxide she uses basically the same as bleach (but a little less harmful)? I don't want my hair to fall out.

afiyabirdie I'm only going to do it after the summer, just doing some research now because my job atm won't let me have bright red hair lol so I'm going to try and find a new job

I believe that peroxide is almost as harmful as bleach. Sun In is basically peroxide in a bottle - and that stuff jacked my hair up to high heavens when I had a relaxer. The only thing worse was when I used actual bleach a different time (gimme a break I was in hs, I didn't know any better!).

General Overview
Peroxide is a chemical compound known as hydrogen peroxide in its most stable form. It has many uses, but one of the most common uses is as a lightening agent for hair. As a lightening agent, peroxide is usually referred to as hair bleach. The chemical representation of hydrogen peroxide is H202. Pure hydrogen peroxide is extremely dangerous and most of the products sold in drugstores only contain about 3% peroxide and 97% water. Hydrogen peroxide is also a very powerful antibacterial agent often used to kill germs such as e. coli and salmonella.

Peroxide for Hair
When used as a bleaching agent to lighten hair, hydrogen peroxide can be extremely damaging. Peroxide lightens the hair to a lighter shade by breaking down the melanin in the hair shaft. Peroxide also weakens the hair shaft, eventually leading to extreme breakage. Some people report having hair snap off when brushing or combing. Continuous exposure to peroxide, even if it is diluted, will also kill the hair follicles and cause a significant amount of hair to start falling out. In some extreme cases, bleaching the hair with peroxide has led to full hair loss leading to baldness. Other people develop patches of baldness on their scalp that can take a very long time to grow back.

Tips and Warnings
Never use a formula that contains over 6% peroxide to lighten your hair. Always make sure the peroxide has been highly diluted with water. Pure peroxide is extremely dangerous and must be handled by professional chemists in a laboratory setting. Never apply peroxide to your hair more than once a month as this will accelerate the damage. Use deep conditioning treatments and hair masks to protect your hair and help reverse damage. For best results, consult a trained professional when seeking to lighten hair.

Read more: What Peroxide Will Do to Your Hair | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how-does_4569710_what-peroxide-will-do-hair.html#ixzz1McLvjT1D

DritaDavanzo

You can't go Rihanna Red without the use of peroxide or bleach. Deposting color is safe for relaxed hair, lifting color (bleach/peroxide) isn't.....just use a Rinse from Jazzing or something...it won't be Fire Engine Red like Rihanna but it will give you a dose of color....Relaxed hair is already one chemical process...adding another chemical process(bleach/peroxide) will make your hair double processed and is VERY VERY difficult to maintain length. Typically when I see Red/Blonde relaxed heads, they have short styles and/or weaves....

IMO Rihanna's hair is in piss poor condition messing around with that Red...she tried to hide it with the weaves but we can see with our own eyes what the deal is.

Don't do it girl, don't ruin your hair trying to emulate what celebs do!

mikimix

I believe that peroxide is almost as harmful as bleach. Sun In is basically peroxide in a bottle - and that stuff jacked my hair up to high heavens when I had a relaxer. The only thing worse was when I used actual bleach a different time (gimme a break I was in hs, I didn't know any better!).

What exactly happened when you did it? Did it fall out? Or did it just become really dry and damaged?

Also PearlyCurly I forgot to ask this before, when you used the developer, your hair was alright after?

EllePixie

What exactly happened when you did it? Did it fall out? Or did it just become really dry and damaged?

Also PearlyCurly I forgot to ask this before, when you used the developer, your hair was alright after?

Every time I blow dried my hair it snapped off. You could tell where my hair was lighter (more of the product had reached it), the hair was MUCH shorter. It weakened my strands a LOT, they were like old rubberbands.

And let me add that my hair is fairly coarse and is very resistant to chemical processing, so it's not as if my hair is especially fragile.

DrC

Well....back in the day we used to use Kool-Aid to dye our hair that bright red color. I'm just sayin'. lol

Kool-Aid for hairdye was the ish!!
I hear they also use it in prison as lipstick....mkay I'm off topic..my bad. :drunk:

PearlyCurly

yeah my hair was fine. The last time i used HiColor i was relaxed fully, and my hair was fine.
When i was natural i used Matrix Socolor, and my hair was less dry after dying.

Dye has never really did my hair "wrong". It was the bleach:nono:

MsKikiStar

I like her video ^^^

Also try Loreal HiColor. You dont need bleach. I have used it before and it turned my hair red. I will probably use it again because i am bored with my hair.

Anyway, use a 30-40vl developer, and pump up your protein afterwards.

^^ what she said. I used Copper Red to do highlights and my hair was extremely red. the same color as this 1b/130 weave:

NIN4eva

Using a 30-40 volume developer on relaxed hair is guaranteed to break it off. You need to lighten your hair with a 10 vol and then deposit your color with a 20 volume developer if you want to keep your hair.

The key to coloring and keeping healthy relaxed hair is letting IT tell YOU what level you can lighten to. It's the boss. If your hair doesn't lift with a 10 volume to a level 8-10 or let you deposit a bright fire engine red then oh well.

Last edited:

GreenEyedJen

I might not be the best person to answer this, because I'm not relaxed and my natural hair color isn't dark, but when I dyed my hair a multitude of colors, on the bright red parts my stylist dyed it with a permanent red and then put Jazzing Ruby Red over that. It was Rihanna bright. You can see in my signature. I can also post some other pictures if you'd like.